1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Discouraging child from pursuing medicine career

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Rihana, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Study of medicine is a challenging, taxing journey and takes years.

What do you think of a parent discouraging son or daughter from pursuing medicine due to this?

What do you think of a parent discouraging daughter from pursuing medicine since it asks for many years of hard work, long hours, that will have an impact on family life and influence decisions such as when to have a kid.

'Discouraging' does not mean preventing or forbidding the child from studying medicine, but more like explaining the reality and pros and cons.

Is such discouraging harmful to the child, or is it part of a parent's job to highlight pros and cons of a career choice.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

One of my friends (Indian) recently told me that they've told their college-freshman daughter they are not in favor of her pursuing pre-med. Their stance was that if she was very passionate about it and had the drive, talent, they would support her, but given her so-so interest in it, they don't think it worth the slog and sacrifice.

She was candid enough to say they wouldn't mind son pursuing it with similar interest and ability level...

---------------------------------------------
    An article with some experience based opinion - worth a read:
    Opinion: ‘Why I will never allow my child to become a doctor in India’ | India Medical Times
    ---------------------------------------------

All that being said, I think it would be a terrific feeling to see son or daughter grow up to be a successful, caring, satisfied doctor.

1 person likes this.
  3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Interesting I been doing this. My daughter has taken biology AP for senior year and been thinking ( yet to decide) of doing Biology major in college ( pre- med as they call it ) and I been telling her to look in to the practical difficulties of doing medicine. Not that I'm against it, but I feel its too much hard work not sure if its really worth unless you have the great passion.

We live in silicon valley and software is something that we can help her out and your career take the kick off by 21. She has great leadership skills and its loads of money there also if that's ever a concern.

On top of it " what if she didn't get in to med school " is also bothering, as we are not willing to send her to another country for study.

But then, you know how it works, they decide and we support, either with a happy face or not :)

sindmani, Rihana and jskls like this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I agree with this. Lately I've been fretting about Hillary getting elected and wanting pink F22s and whatnot. thinkingsmiley

1 person likes this.
  5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

Oh, there is no difference here in out case with son or daughter, I just think becoming a doctor is too much work, and unless the child doesn't have it in them its not worth.

Having said this not sure what "I WANT" my son to do as career as he is very timid and its very easy for people to bully him, and not sure software is the right field for him as he will be ending up as slave who does all the work. He is young, too early to worry about it.

sindmani and Rihana like this.
  6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Practically:
    Its good to objectively point out plus and minus. But not good to 'discourage' or provide leading qns/answers. Objective feedback is good.
    Give the facts, a little bit of opinion is alright too, and tell them the financial constraints, but leave it at that. Beyond that its their life, their career, their choice and their decision even if they want to take a loan etc.

Philosophically:
    Children come via us to the world and we are extremely closely connected. But we dont 'own' them.

and they just might become great doctor, no need to place an obstacle course.

2 people like this.
  7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Yuck ... Hopefully the daughter has the strength to pursue her dreams and cut the ties to such kind of "parents".

8. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

What is F22?? And may I ask what is wrong with pink anything???? Everything looks pretty in pink.

I am also fretting Hillary getting elected and yet cannot help but be tempted at the thought of seeing First Gentleman (using term loosely here) Bill picking out White House China. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Errr ahem ... you are kinda 'proving' my point. :rotfl

10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Topic of medical school and gender aside..this is a dilemma that most parents go through.How far do we go in trying to influence the short term and long term academic and career goals of our kids ?where do we draw the line?

I battle with this question myself constantly and in my case it gets very complicated since my children have completely different personalities. No answers ...Will actually track this thread to see if I can get any insight.
    Good thread as usual Ri!

2 people like this.