1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Discordant Notes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Sitting in my drawing room, cross legged, playing a Sruthi box, with closed eyes, I was happily immersed in the world of music-in the absolute satisfaction that I could hold my breath for some time, catching the top shadjam with perfect ease. ‘Mummy’ the voice of my daughter brought me out of my reverie, reminding me of the serious task that lay ahead- training two mischievous little brats sitting in front of me, with the basics of Carnatic music, a formidable task.

When I seriously asked them to follow my singing, in alignment of the Shruthi, I found both my daughter and her close friend, our chatty young neighbour, earnestly playing with the chequered shadows cast by the soft rays of the setting sun, on the mosaic floor, oblivious to my presence. With great effort I controlled both my temper and my hands itching to spank them. Putting on a mask of an innocent pleader I softly prodded them to sing with me. When they finally relented, and after a lot of struggle, they sang - their voice resembled much of the screeching brakes of formula racing cars. Tired of their antics, when I shouted at them for their irresponsible attitude, I saw my daughters eyes brimming with tears, resembling a overflowing reservoir ready to break down any moment. I knew how her loud wails would bring the entire neighborhood at my doors.

When my daughter won a music competetion in her school, at the age of six, her music teacher was all praise for her sweet voice, one which, few were blessed to possess. That simple remark sure enough sparked my dreams of making her find a place, among the ranks of legendary singers like MLV, MS etc.

The very next day I got hold of a music teacher living next door, who also happened to be the mother of two music geniuses of the present generation.

Clean bowled by my daughter’s innocent looks and her winsome way of her rendering her school prayer with great verve and piety, the lady immediately took her under her wings and started the classes.The one thing I dreaded most was the follow up practise sessions, which almost ended up with me in tears and my daughter having the last laugh.

All the while as I was patting myself for being an diligent mom in trying to shape up a beautiful voice in to sensational career of life time it was my neighbour who doused all the pride by asking me as to who it was teaching music at home to my daughter with a voice as miserable as a worn out rpm record. Unable to come out with the awkward truth I concealed all the unpleasantness with an embarrassed smile.

Later education took priority and all the other extra curricular activities were pushed behind. But my heart was always crying out for all the artistic inclinations of my daughter that were buried deep under her scholarly activities. While some of the artistic abilities found exposure occasionally through her school competitions and drew accolades from one and all, others were given a silent go by.

Presently, my daughter's musical inclinations have assumed international flavours with rock music and international troupes like Baaba Maal turning her favourites. Age has not succeeded in withering my passion for singing or learning music. With an uncompromising voice and vocal chords which refuse to budge at higher octaves singing is no more a delightful experience. But it is my passion for music that is seeing me through the learning process, with an added advantage of having a silent Internet guru which forsakes all the mistakes I commit and prods me on with more lessons. With neighbours who have windows as tightly shut as their minds, I have all the liberty in singing the songs as I please, but audience – Uhh I have whole lot of donkeys of Chennai – all assembled together, standing at my doorsteps,, just to listen to me and give me a standing ovation. Wait! Looks like my singing infection has caught them also like a virus where they are tuning their voice to sing, nay, bray. “Saaaa Riiiii GAAAA mehh meehh” grrrrrrrrrrr!

sindmani, knbg, iyerviji and 8 others like this.

2. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Awesome post.....I could see how you travelled back in time to re-live your experiences from past while writing this.

My elder one has an amazing voice. I haven't taken him to classes yet since he needs a little more discipline (just like your DD used to be)! The time I do try and teach him end up with him having the last laugh. But I am still hopeful I can pull onto my side.

My DH loves singing but unfortunately doesn't have the voice for it. But he still sings. According to him god doesn't mind a little apaswaram or doesn't demand sruthi be right. He just wants to see if a person is singing from heart. I second him on that thought.
    Please don't mind others opinion on your voice. There are loads of people out there ready to slay a person with interest to pieces. A kind word is hard to find by.

Sing to please yourself. Never mind the closed windows. If I were you I would open the windows and sing!

I for one feel music shouldn't be limited to just one genre. International flavors you say for your DD?!! For music, the more exposure she has to different genres the better!

Wishing all the best things in the world for your DD!

sindmani and Agatha83 like this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,
    Wonderful post.Some of the great musicians of the last century didn't have a pleasant voice but they had unparallelled knowledgeapaara sangeetha gnanam.

Cheenu had an unbearble voice.When his brother took him to Dakshina murthy Pillai, little Cheenu enthusiastically sang.But Pillai said"Cheenu's voice resembles the 'sarak sarak' sound of coconut scrapping( Thengai thuruvum sabdam) and advised his brother to train Cheenu in an instrument.But Cheenu was very adamant to learn vocal.He practised, practised and practised without caring for the comments of neighbours.He recd so many hits from his vidwan brother.
    But nothing could stop Cheenu.The voice came under his control. He was the great Sangeetha pithamaha ,Sangeetha Kalanidhi Semmangudi Srinivasa iyer, the Guru of Music Queen M. S.
    His service to carnatic music is beyond description.
    Go on practising.Wish you all the best.
    Jayasala 42

sindmani, Agatha83 and sangeethakripa like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

My mom was an avid Veena player and she has done her best to teach us music and yet did not succeed. The best I can do is listen to the cds. Both my kids take music lessons, not classical but watching them play I often wonder where they get it from and then console myself that it is good I did not learn. Now all those genes raring to express have found a voice in them and add to that perhaps my DHs interest in western classical music makes a difference.

Let me tell you one thing Agatha, if you need an audience, all you need is to holler. I will come and may even bring a couple of friends and we will be sure to shoo away all those donkeys and make room for ourselves. My DD has a friend who even if my DD practices for 5 mins in front of her responds with a clap, a huge bravo and a well done like it is the best concert of her life! I make it a point to take this little one for all of my DDs performances. Who does not need an audience like that, tell me!

As always a beautiful write up. Enjoyed immensely.

Agatha83 likes this.
  5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear beautifullife,

I realise my folly now past 65, at my foolishness in thrusting my musical ambitions on my daughter, for which she had the least interest or fascination. One should have a passion for any art, in order to pursue it. Yes I like to sing, but many times while singing, I have to stop in the middle to catch my breath:disappointed:.Thank you for your good wishes and a wonderful FB.

Agatha83

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    beautifullife30 likes this.
  6. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala,

While going through your FB, I kept guessing who this poor Cheenu could have been- one with a scratchy voice, since I have a lot of relatives under that name.What a wonderful suspense it was finally. Even Alfred Hitchcock sure would have taken a retreat at the way you have built your suspense- step by step. A way to write! Sri Semmangudi is a legendary singer, having trained scores of musicians under his tutelage. But I have an intense liking for the voice of great MLV. Thanks for a valuable FB and good wishes.

Agatha83

7. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rama,

Looks like music flows in your family and you are very lucky to have born in one and married to the other. Very few are fortunate to have a family which appreciates music.
    I have enough of donkeys, not the real ones, but in the form of neighbours who day in and out play sun music, jaya music,tv channels, blaring Gana, kuthu and double entendred songs. Even closed Windows does not prevent the noise pollution. So the best thing to do is to plug in my ear plugs and listen to Mandolin Shrinivas and his likes. At least such music calms down my shooting BP. Best wishes to your kids, practicing music, irrespective of the genre of music they are passionate about.

Agatha83

Srama likes this.
  8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Agatha...that happens when we don't time our breaths properly inaccordance with the song tune. Happens to me as well...try and space your breaths between gaps which are in the song.
    That would help. As they say....practice makes a woman perfect!

Agatha83 likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,

I have nothing but admiration for the singers of last generation as the newest generation showing so much interest in music. My wife's cousin's daughter is a great singer regularly performing all over India now. Her grandmother used to sing regularly in functions and many people used to make fun of her. Now, I understand how and when her granddaughter picked her vocal music interest.

Living with my MIL now gives me some old childhood stories of her. Her mother wanted her to become a good singer. She being very mischievous, never wanted to be regulated and ended up irritating the teacher who left abruptly without teaching her. My MIL's mother is a person who would never give up. She spanked her nicely arranging another old man to teach her music. She eventually ended up learning music and even at this age sings bhajans so well.

I have natural interest for singing but no one cared to train me professionally when I was young. But I satisfy myself by singing in the bathroom and also singing in the Bhajan sessions. Needless to say, I have captive audience on both occasions. The lizards and cockroaches have no other place to run away and so are the souls who come to bhajan sessions to connect with the divine. Even if my voice is unbearable, they still soak themselves in thinking about the Lord either praying to relieve them from such ordeals or explaining the rationale for them not connecting well with the Lord. :)

Viswa

Agatha83 likes this.
  10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful advice. Will incorporate your suggestion during my practice sessions.

Agatha83