1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disclosing How Old You Are On An Internet Forum....

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Amulet, May 5, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I did look around to see where I ought to post this query.... and then decided to post here.

Some of us do not overtly post the information on how old we are. We are the sort of people who'd like to keep our personal problems to ourselves.

However many others post how old they are, and keep updating that information now and then to stay current on the matter of how old they are.

I had thought that most cultures have this one thing in common: women never reveal how old they are.

I am/was wrong to presume that, even though I am still struggling to understand what there is to gain by telling an anonymous crowd how old one is.

If you don't mind...... could you divulge why it is important that you keep your age to yourself, or divulge that information in a forum like this. [ Boys may keep out of this thread, but welcome to divulge your reasons as well]

As for me, I behave like I am not as old as I am. However, if someone were to sift through the contents of my posts, they might think I am a lot younger than I think I am. Overall, I do not volunteer the information on how old I am. It is bad enough that the people we live with have that information and taunt us with that on occasion; no need for the stranger-riff-raff to get a hold of that as well.

Would you divulge how old you are on IL or other forums ? Why or Why-NOT?

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Now don't laugh at me, Amulet. I did not initially, when I joined the forum. For many years. Then I found young male members sending inappropriate PMs trying to make contact. That's when I thought I would save them some time and effort by throwing hints around the place!!!

In fact if DPs were allowed, they might not even have to find out one's age!!!

I am kind to men too, you see!

3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I might have hinted my age vaguely and sporadically in my blather but in future I prefer to stay coy about it.

There is goodwill tendency to eagerly sort the demography for deferential privilege whether I am to be addressed "ji" or "madam" (as in: Novalis ji) or whether I, in turn, have attained the seasoned age to call someone by their modest handler (as in: Hey Raja Raja Cholan!). I avoid that customary obsequity, both ways!

Chatting to someone elderly, I would rather bluff my age is grizzled eighty to forestall the nicety on them and when I am talking to the youngish I would deceive them of my chirpy twenty-something writing. Disclosure of age is burdened with superfluous niceties ..dekho dekho ..she calls everyone by their registered moniker..dekho dekho ....the odd crone Novalis does not wish to be respected for her advanced age.

Henceforth, I am omni-aged between 20-80 among online crowd.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    yellowmango, Afresh, Amulet and 2 others like this.
  4. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Perverted men do not mind aunties like you and me too :) just sayin ...

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I might be paranoid but I don't believe anything is truly anonymous. Hence I try not to reveal any exact personal details.

6. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

People do not disclose their real ages for reasons of not revealing exact personal details; But i figure most people do like to throw in hints , here and there, especially older ones w.r.t their experience ;)!!
    Now Old - older is a relative term here :)

I think it's more fun to not know the real ages and then guess/decode the personalities behind the writings :grinning:

7. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

Mostly when we ladies post our genuine problem here the age of OP is guessed or for that matter when advice to OP goes the age of the lady giving that advice is also guessed. (kind of ) .
    Personally I feel nothing wrong in letting others know our age. How does it matter if someone judges you in internet forums like this. ?
    If one chooses to remain discreet about their age I have total respect for their choice.

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

age-65
    IL age -9
    i never hesitate to say my age .when we reserve tickets my dh always add two or three yrs.to my original age.Then i roar like a Lioness but he would simply say what's wrong in it.

9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Sigh! Age is a double edged sword. Too old chronologically, young people write you off. Too young and old people don't take you seriously or people wouldn't believe you if you have some genuine problems. Especially in our Asian communities, respect is something only associated with age.

A classic example of this is when one is teaching a foreign language and trying to teach the difference of "tum and aap" in that language. Ask the students how a child would address its parents, how a wife would address the husband, how the child would address its grandparents and the answer is 'aap'. The other way round is 'tum'. When asked why the difference, they will answer 'respect'. The question I end up asking them is does the husband not respect the wife or don't elders respect the children? The difference between 'respect', the lack of it and formality/closeness is something that is not normally taken into consideration.

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You can use a bit of fiction in your personal details...
    ;)

Sometimes silly people tell their age in order to win some argument in an online forum.:facepalm:

Last edited: May 6, 2019