1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Disciplining toddlers.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by peartree, Dec 19, 2012.

1. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

ilovesai... thanks! Walking away myself seems like a good idea.... I should try that. Thankfully, she doesn't like too much sugar, and she gets a good 9 hr sleep at night, in addition to her 2 hr noon nap. Playing outside, by the time we get back home, it is dark these days :( We need to start going out again when summer comes!

1 person likes this.
  2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

thanks veeramachaneni!! I will definitely try these with DD. She shares her toys usually, but when she sees the other child sometimes not sharing, she also slips into her mean mode!!

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thanks, Soulful :) It is cute, once I finish gritting my teeth and she is over her tantrum and comes to me saying "amma.... appdi solladhe", when I say "bad job.." or something like that :)

2 people like this.
  4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Thanks, Godisone. Thank fully, we have been able to control her ipad time. Being strong.... that is definitely something I need to keep telling myself! Thanks for the suggestion :)

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

She is adorable isn't she? They sure know how to wrap us around their little fingers...
    Ok here is another trick I used to employ .....
    I would make a sad face and say "mommy is really sad"...and sort of act that I have given up and sit down silently.
    Kutties couldn't take it....they knew how to handle an angry mommy...they didn't know how to handle a sad mommy. So they would come and hug me and try their best to make me happy (and that would include listening to me).
    Totally unethical but I was pretty desperate some days :)

4 people like this.
  7. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Awww.... that is precious :) One thing I have noticed with my DD is that she tends to be a little clingy for a little while after coming from daycare. I also would have just got back from work and with dinner/ next day's lunch, the mess in the house....everything weighing heavily in my mind, I also used to be impatient with her about eating/playing... everything. It was a boon when my mom was here until a month back, so that wasn't a problem because everything at home was taken care of by the time I got home and I was able to engage her more. I was talking to my mom about this and it was only when she pointed out did I realize that I really need to make dinner and other things second priority and give her my full attention until she has had enough of me! I think that might also be the reason why she is a little temperamental at times.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

peartree, I just started sending my DD to fulltime daycare at 12 months. What I noticed is that she wants me 'fully' when she is with me. I am away for the most part and I pick her up only at 5:30 in the evening. Her bed time is at 8:00. So, in between she wants me for herself. Try being with her completely from the time she comes home. Try...sometimes its not possible. probably she is thinking that you are not with her the whole day and then you are trying to get your way when you are home too.

I have whole different set of problems; might need another thread. Like your mom said, make dinner a second priority, after she goes to sleep. These days I am so tired by the time she goes to bed, I simply cannot handle an elaborate meal. I just make salads and sandwiches (not to mention an occasional glass of wine! lol). See if this works. And I hope DH is pitching in too. Its hard otherwise.

9. Aruna972

Aruna972 Bronze IL'ite

Yes disciplining a toddler takes all your imagination and energy and tests your patience to the utmost. My little girl too used to wreak havoc in our lives since the time she learnt she has wrapped us around her little finger. She would cry if we don't listen to her or talk to her or don't give something she wants. It was a nightmare, I remember once she cried 4 times in a span of 1.5 hours for petty things. It's exhausting.

But her ped told me very strictly not to give in to her unnecessary demands or she will start taking advantage of you. The advice came a little late but we still vowed to undo the damage. My husband and I gradually tried to discipline her.

Now, it's a lot better.

10. sandhyars

sandhyars Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Need some help or advise.
    My DD is 1year 3 months old. These days she has started pinching, scratching , biting, pulling hair etc . I tried to discipline her by raising my voice, pleading her, telling her in nice ways.. but she doesnt stop it..
    Inbetween for couple of days after my shouting , she had stopped, but now i cant use that method because she likes my reaction.. She does the above things to get my reaction and smiles after that.. dont know what to do.. she is at home and my parents take care of her.. Once she turns 2 or little early than that, i am planning to send her to play home .. worried that she might do the same things to other children over there which is very bad...
    She understands what we say.. she is very lovely kid.. but these actions of her, make me worry a lot.. I spend very little time with her.. only in the evening, and she wants full attention at that time.. dont really know how to manage.
    Thank you
    Sandhya.