1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Disc Hernia and Disc Degeneration

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by puni88, Feb 10, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    I had been diagnosed with disc hernia in my lower back when I gave birth to my second kid. Due to this, I had severe pain in my left leg and lost sensation. Did lot of physical therapy. I was OK for 3yrs, now the pain in my lower back is increased so much, did MRI and found out that my herniated disc is now degenerated. Now I am undergoing physical therapy.
    Want to know, if anybody has the same problem and how they are coping up with pain, daily routine.
    And want to know how to slow down for other disc hernia and degeneration.

Thanks,
    Punitha

2. vidyasarada

vidyasarada Senior IL'ite

Dear Punitha
    My mother had Disc Herniation when she was 44 years of age. She underwent a period of complete rest , physical therapy involving gentle exercises under supervision of trained person, and took cortisone injections. She got over her pain completely in about 6 months. But eversince , she has avoided bumpy rides, jerky movements, lifting heavy objects etc. Also, she changed her bed to a very hard rubberised coir mattress . And takes calcium supplements without fail. The pain has not reappeared, except once when she exerted herself too much during a wedding . Otherwise, she is fine and active in her 75th. year now.

Wishing you good health.
    VS

3. NeenaP

NeenaP New IL'ite

Hi Punni,
    I suffered from herniated disc 3 years ago. The disc between the vertebrae swell and bulge. The bulge puts pressure on a nerve causing pain. Most of the time, depending on the disc placement the nerve could be the one that goes down a leg. It can be quite painful. Initially I took heavy dose of iboprofen prescribed by my Doctor. This reduces the inflamation. Physical Therapy helped.
    After three years again I had a degenerative disc. This time it was in a different region. I was told this happened due to prolonged sitting (at the desk). Weight doesn't help either. I also suffer from hypothyroidism. Physical Therapy - in short exercises help.
    In short exercise, diet and ultimately weight reduction is the answer. We should keep in touch. Maybe we could plan a diet/exercise plan and help each other loose weight (that is if that's your problem too!0.
    - Neena.

4 people like this.
  4. varasangam

varasangam New IL'ite

Hello Punni,

I had and have a similar problem with my back, L1 to L5 lower back vertebrae and sciatic pain with disc degeneration, the onset was lifting heavy boxes of files at work and grocery bags at home. I was on physiotherapy with back strengthening exercises and anti inflammatory tablets like diclofenac sodium SR on severe pain. However the physio helped a bit as they were stretching and strenghtening. But the pain relieved. I took up water walking or if you can swim nothing like it, in my case as i did not know how to swim, hence I wear a belt around the waist and walk in the water, this gives immense strength to the back muscles due to buoyancy of the water and you heal faster and as other IL s have mentioned, walking and losing weight has helped a lot.

So keep this in mind, and do not lift any heavy weights and long sitting at the desk are a NO NO.....

Do keep in touch.......we shall share notes:-D

5. NeenaP

NeenaP New IL'ite

Hi Varasangam,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, swimming helps. Antiinflammatory drugs are a must, but back strengthening exercises reduce the pain.
    -Neena

6. puni88

Thanks for your postings!!
    Being in software field, it is very difficult for me to avoid prolonged sitting.
    I try to get up and go for a walk often, do stretching @ restrooms. This is helping me a bit, this summer I am planning to join swimming classes and continue swimming; it is very much required to strengthen the lower back and side ribs.
    One more thing I have noticed from past couple of weeks, my neck feels very tightened and I don’t have pain while moving neck, but I have the fear of getting hernia in neck (which I don't want). Do you know any neck exercise?
    If pain persists more, then I would visit doctor.
    Just want to see for couple of more days.

Neena: I think we both have the same problems and history of DDD and hypo thyroid.

Keep in touch....
    Punitha

7. puni88

Hello Varasagam,
    What kind of a belt do you use, could you please give more information on this. I would like to buy that and try using it.

Thanks,
    Punitha

8. varasangam

varasangam New IL'ite

Hello Punni,

Sorry for this later reply.

You could ask for a water walking belt which is made of fibre material (or something like that) that keeps you afloat in water. It is same material which kids play in water like water boards blue in colour, hope u get what i mean.

You could look for it in any sports/swimwear shop. It is broad and tapers towards your sides. It has a buckle which you can adjust to your waist size to fit snugly. Dont wear it loose.Try this and you will the difference is a 3/4 weeks time. However do not do anything rigorously to beign with but stay afloat and try to move your legs as if you are walking in water, once a get a feel of how it is then you can mock to swim.

One more thing I would like to share is, ALWAYS bend your knees to pick anything from the floor. This will save your back from hurting further.

Cheers and do keep in touch. Good luck!!:wave

Vara

9. NeenaP

NeenaP New IL'ite

Hi Punni,
    Sorry for a reply so late. I have been busy. Here's a website for neck exercises:

Neck Exercises

I understand you are at the computer a lot. Pklease check your ergonomic set up at work. the positioning of computer, hands, wrists, all could cause severe ergo. issues. Neck problem is one of them. You need to take time off for neck exercises.
    Good Luck!
    -Neena.

10. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

Sorry to barge in your thread Puni88.. But I hope you or someone could help.

One of my relative was in an accident recently & she has been told that spinal cord disc has moved. Also she has something near her toes like redpimples, doctor said something about blood vessels and she said her leg feels numb too. We dont have the details yet.

Is this something related to Disc Hernia? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.