Disappointed after gender check u/s - how to deal with it ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by LifeIsWhew, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LifeIsWhew

LifeIsWhew New IL'ite

Its a long post so please be patient with me.

I went for an ultra sound and found out that we were having a baby girl. Neither my husband nor I was hoping for a particular gender but I was foolishly guessing since day one (without any scientific or medical backing) that I will be having a boy. So though we talked and discussed about having either one, unintentionally we always imagined and prepared ourselves to be parents to a baby boy. Even before we went to the u/s, I asked my husband what he wanted and he said that he does not have any preference. But when she told us the results I was very surprised.

My reasons for wanting a baby boy are not cos he will take care of us in old age or someone to carry the family name forward. Its not even that I did not want a baby girl, I just foolishly assumed it would be a boy and was subconsciously planning my life around it.

I have such a feeling of loss and guilt since that day of the u/s. I cried for a good while for a few days. I dont know if it is because I was disappointed or if I am angry at myself for feeling the way I do. Here I am - a modern 21st century educated and confident woman. I am feeling so selfish, guilty, mad and angry at myself for thinking and reacting this way.

Though I am not very young, I conceived immediately after we started trying without any problem. So far my pregnancy reports have all been excellent. I should be so grateful for all these things. Instead, I am just sad and depressed. And that makes me more angry and mad at myself for feeling this way towards our baby girl. But the fact is I am just trying to make it through each day without tears.

I asked my husband if he was okay with the result and he said he would haev been fine with anything. But after I went on and on about how shocked I was with the result, he told me that I had built up this whole thing about us having a boy that he had started planning things with that in mind but all that doesnt matter now cos all he has to do is start planning for a girl. But hearing that just made me more upset.

I have been researching this topic and reading about it and the more I do that, the more I feel I am doing wrong to our baby. I know my husband and I would love our girl with all our heats but is it okay for me to feel this way now? It is so difficult to share it with family without them being judgemental about it.

As much as I would like to hear from anyone here, I would really appreciate responses from members who have either gone through this personally or through someone else. I would also like to hear from people who had similar experience with the gender check results but dealt with it and how?

Thanks for reading.

2. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I was exactly in your state 10 weeks back when we knew we were having a boy...we wanted a baby gal and all this started bcoz some stupid astrologer predicted this way and all the while everybody in the family kept saying it would be a gal...we had even named our little gal then and we r still hunting for a boy name...for a couple of weeks I was upset but got over it...I started thinking of all the good things about having a boy...today the only thing that annoys me is when I see the clothing section for boys...itz sooooooooo boring...u shud be thinking of the good things about having a daughter...imagine u can dress her up in all the beautiful clothes and daughters are anyday more loving and caring than sons...I would actually call u lucky...so cheer up and enjoy your pregnancy :thumbsup

3. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi LifeIsWhew,

Part of your problem is due to Pregnancy hormones. I guess you are just taking it harsh on yourself for having expected a boy. Deep inside your heart , you are really glad for any baby, but you are feeling guilty for having expected a boy.

Dont worry , I blame it on pregnancy hormones for thinking so much..

When we did our Anomaly scan, we found out its a boy . Prior to that all my and hubby's siblings were rooting for a girl. They were so confident its going to be a girl , that whenever they referred to the baby they called it a "she".
    but I somehow had a mother's intuition that its going to be a boy .
    And after the scan, hubby changed from "she" to "he" while talking to the baby. It was not a big deal for us and we started planning everything for our little naughty boy.

As you have mentioned in your post , you should be glad your pregnancy is going smooth and the baby is healthy.

Stop brooding and pick up yourself.

Keep in Mind , your baby knows ALL your feelings and Thoughts. You both are united right now. So be happy and have nice thoughts .

Here is something to Cheer you up :
    Click on this link -
    Congrats On Your Baby Girl! Free Family Additions eCards, Greetings from 123greetings.com

4. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Wake up!!!!! Boy or girl is the same. Same diaper change, sleepless nights and end of it fun.

Can I ask you something? What about your in laws? are they living with you? Does your husband taking care of them?

Your hormones are acting crazy. Please pray for HEALTHY baby.

I wanted to have daughters, but had sons. did not make a big fuss. I am very happy now. Healthy baby is very important.

Take care of your health. Be Happy!!!!!! all the best.

5. pinkpearls

pinkpearls Senior IL'ite

can I say something.... I don't have kids but I want to tell my thoughts.you are so lucky to have a baby girl .....I know people who pray for it, think your future, how can you decorate her, with cute cute frocks and dresses, and jewelry. you will have fun in each stage with her, but for boys, same type of dresses at any stage ( no offense). dream for her, decorate her room full of pink and collect all the stuff for her, sure you feel lucky after she is born, she will take your breath away ( My sis had a baby girl recently). you don't believe, one of my unmarried friend, wants to get married just to have a baby girl :)

6. LifeIsWhew

LifeIsWhew New IL'ite

@ Ranchu

Thank you so much for the wonderful greeting. That was really sweet of you. It really bought a smile to my face.

@ Coffeelover

My inlaws don't live with us. They are not really dependent on us financially or otherwise. My husband does not let them interfere in our lives and believe me they would love to if he let them. My MIL always used to say - I know you will have a baby boy and I am never wrong. She is this 'I I I I me me me me' kind of a person. But when we told them about the gender they were ok with it. They did not say anything negative. When other family members heard about it, some of them started giving me lectures about how baby girls are any day better than boys as if they were trying to convince themselves. Anyways those things dont bother me.

My husband has been nothing but supportive. I have been such a B**** in this pregnancy and so far he has put up with what with a smile and encouraging words. These 4 months have made me love, respect and appreciate him more than all these years of our marriage. I would have gone completely insane without him. I hope it continues after our baby.

@ All

I know I should just pray and hope for a healthy baby. Thats all matters especially these days where people either struggle to have kids or have healthy kids. But only words cannot change feelings. Saying these positive things to myself is still not making me feel any different.

I hope I am not going into any depression.

7. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

I was in the same state for few hours fourteen years ago, I was conditioned that it was better to have a boy, I was sick during my whole pregnancy, my mother was unhappy. My parents always wanted a boy, grew up with that guilt. My spouse was happy to have a girl and named her after his mother, it is a very old name.
    Now I do not know how to raise a boy, she is close to me unlike boys at this age. She is growing up in a culture where girls are more involved in parents life than boys.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Positive attitude is very important now.

Don't worry about other people. You must be happy that you are going to have beautiful and healthy baby. when is the baby due?

If you ever get depressed, post your thoughts here. we are all here to support you.

You are so lucky to have a wonderful husband who supports you.

All the best!!!!! Be Happy!!!!!!:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

9. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

I agree with all other posters here.I have conceived after a long time and Iam yet to know the gender.I made up my mind to accept anything,although I have my personal wish.I hear about boys everywhere,hence I cannot make a wish now.Its a gift from God.If we want to have boy/girl,not getting it in first pregnancy,we shall go for next one!

Best wishes for your smooth pergnancy!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Here is what i would do...

Walk into a good baby-store. Look at the those tiny frocks or those tiny pink sandals or maybe another frock with frills on. You will instantly change you mind...

Dont worry, you will be fine. Its just the initial shock which is making you feel so sad.