1. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Take the 100 Days Positivity Challenge : Join Here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by SanchitaGhosh, Jun 8, 2007.

1. SanchitaGhosh

SanchitaGhosh New IL'ite

I am working in c, unix kernel (have done MCA) for three years. Since I got married (1.5 yrs) in the same city, so this is my first job. Now my hubby might be going to Ipswich, UK for a period of 1 to 1.5 years. I would be accompanying my hubby, but I would like to work there too. Visa allows me to work but the question is how soon will I get a job? I also have a house loan to pay, so not working is not a workable solution.

From the people I have contacted I have come to know that IT jobs are available but getting them might take time. Jobs like admin etc can be got faster.

I would like to try and get an IT job or a TA/RA kind of job first. My hubby can take care of the loan for some months. If I don't get anything then I would be ok to do any kind of job.

Now my question is how long should I wait to get an IT job?
    Not working or doing an unrelated job (without the benefit of maternity leave connections), how bad will it be for my career once I come back to India?

Please give your views.

Thanks,
    Sanchita.

2 people like this.

2. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sanchita,
    Glad to meet you in IL. I too work on the same platform in India. I cannot specifically tell you how long you can wait for a IT job (since it also depends on how many months your husband can take care of the home loan). I too have learnt from my friends in UK that it takes time to land up in a IT job there. So i suggest you to take up an Admin job or someother job that leaves you with enough time to try for a IT job. Keep preparing & attend interviews. One thing you should take care of is .. managing time for your work, home & preparing for a job. Plan carefully. Since you are going to stay in UK only for a short period(1.5 years), i think you better not end up in a mess and leave this wonderful platform.

Sravanthi