dilemma to choose between health and career

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by vinayak22, Nov 7, 2013.

1. vinayak22

vinayak22 Senior IL'ite

I posted before too regarding my dilemma.
    After 5 years of struggle, giving exams I got in medical school. I have had irregular perods since i moved to U.S and 2 times had heavy bleeding that lasted for nearly a month. All test were fine, then i stayed in India for 5 months and got regular periods there. Then i moved again to U.S in hope to continue my studies but the problem started all over again. I have not had my periods since 3 months. gynaec. is not able to figure out whats happening. They say it might be stress or climate. I have been very stressed after my marriage. lots and lots of fights. This all made me low confident and fearful inside. Even in school i was very low confident, may be that too aggravated my health issues. My parents are worried about my health and they think i should not risk my healh. Moreover i have to take heavy loans for study too.
    I am in totally fix situation. dont know what to do-
    On one hand i think i should complete my studies and be indepent
    on the other hand- As i am still having health problem, i should stay at home n city that has enviroment that of india or move to india.

My husband is a person who does not know to take much stand and never understands my health issues. 2 times i had to go to india in heavy bleeding.
    tried many medicines but nothing worked.
    What should i do? i am lost

2. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

1. finish off your studies, find a job, work for sometime. (of course if your health permits)
    2. Do you have kids?
    3. if you are planning to, take a break.
    4. Later proceed with your career.

In my opinion, if your health permits, finish off your studies, be eligible for a job and then move to india. So that you can find a good job in india.

If you leave your studies half way, then it would nt be of anyuse. You might be firced to start right from the scratch.

Malu

3. vinayak22

vinayak22 Senior IL'ite

I do have 2 1/2 year old kid.
    ok, regarding degree, i have to repeat the same degree that i have done in india. bachelors degree(bcoz they don't consider indian degree eligible here). I don't know if you are are aware of this or not , in science field its like this.
    So, though i have put lots of effort and time in getting admission here. but the degree here is not of any value in india. I was also thinking that in case if i have to do, i should plan to do a degree thats worthy in india too but couldn't figure out what to do.

4. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Which degree is it? Since you are talking about medical school, did you do MBBS in India? If yes, you don't need to repeat. You need to write USMLE to get admitted to residency programs. If you are more clear about which degree you are pursuing and which degree is made void, it will be more helpful.

1 person likes this.
  5. vinayak22

vinayak22 Senior IL'ite

Ya, residency will be of no value in India.

6. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

dear op,

i understand your situation very well, as i too have been in a similar situation as yours. in my case i chose my health over career. i don't regret at all, although society as well as my family feels i have wasted 2 years of my life doing nothing.

coming back to your situation i feel it is not about career or health, there are various issues coming into play.

1) you need to make your husband understand your situation, he needs to know you are suffering from a problem, and he should support you.

2) go to a good doctor, if you are in india, then in india or if USA then in USA. get the right diagnosis, and take medication for it. whether you are treated in india or in usa is not a problem. you can take treatment even while studying.

3) if the problem is just change of environment, then you will slowly adjust. trust me, everyone eventually adjusts to new places.

4) if the problem is something serious, and you need to take extra care of your health all your life, then please reconsider getting into med school. firstly 5 years of intensive study might take a toll on your health, and most importantly practising medicine might also be diificult all your life. please consider.

7. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

OP, please don't mind. Would you mind clarifying your exact degree in India and what you want to pursue in US? Field of Science etc. is quite useless information to provide any guidance. I request you to be not evasive.

Many forum members are well-read and well-educated people. Please feel free to name even the weirdest degree and I am sure there is some one that knows about it.

8. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

Please don't neglect your health. It is more important than anything else. After all 'jaan hai to jahaan hai', right?

And now about career, there must be many other options. I gather you did MBBS in India and are trying to do the same here. Can you not choose some other less rigorous degree? You can do MBA, for instance. I know few docs from India who have done MBA in Hospital Management here in US and moved on to join administration in hospitals.

Do try to find other options before you decide anything.

9. smileAlways

smileAlways Gold IL'ite

If your health issue is irregular/ Non-stop period, I guess being on the birth control pills help to regulate it. Did not the Dr's suggest you this

10. vinayak22

vinayak22 Senior IL'ite

Dear shreya,

I was too thinking about hospital administration degree and posted a thread too regarding this but got no replies. someone suggested me that administrtative jobs in India is not ok for girls coz u have to be in company and require travelling but some says opposite. I don't know anyone personally who has done it here and then works in India. If you can gather any details regarding this, can you pls let me know.

Thanks a ton