1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dignity of Labour

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by radsahana, Mar 26, 2010.

1. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear sri,

thanks very much for the fb dear. Yes here work is worshipped, not the type of work, unlike in india.

have a gr8 day.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radhika,

First of all, let me congratulate you for getting nominated in the FP forum for this post.

There was a sense of innocence and a warm tone of friendliness in the post. It was written well and touches a chord in one's heart.

Dignity of labor is very important and should be given to every person who is doing his/her job honestly. Unfortunately, in some countries (including our's) we forget that and judge people according to their professions. Generally when Indians meet, they try to find out what the other does for a living, "Where do you (your husband) work?" In the west, they ask too, but only much later. It is because what the other person does for a living is not of much importance to them.

Also, every country has developed in different ways depending on its history. We are all fine to have a coffee with our maids here and think nothing of it. But we might find it difficult to do so in India where the maid may take a scare or feel discomfort at such familiarity.

Besides, the living styles too are different here. You say that your friend lives in a million dollar house. Hope our maids too can live like that one day instead of their shanty houses. When that happens, believe you me, we will all be having more than coffee with our maids for then, even heritage would take a back seat!!
    No, I am not talking of just money (although it is the basis) but of certain social living norms.

This reminds me of two things.
    One is of my German friend who distanced herself from me when I said it would be impossible for me in India to sit with my maid on the same table and eat! She could simply not understand and thought I was mean! :hide:
    Second thing that comes to my mind was that lovely movie Abiyum Nanum which I at last got to see recently. Little Abi wants to adopt the beggar she finds on the street and her dad lets her and later they then take him to a restaurant where he is so lost, uncomfortable and also moved to tears at the love shown to him. That really touched me and kudos to the director and story writer for introducing such a scene!

And like Abi, you too have a lovely heart and I am touched that you drive her kids from school everyday inspite of the detour. Your children are blessed.:)

L, Kamla

PS: Sorry for this loooong fb!!

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radhika,

Lovely blog.Yes good to know that even u do not feel ashamed of wht work anyone does, same is the case with me.Better to work than to beg and liove on charity.

Inmy office, i dont mind sitting on the floor, measuring the length of the printed fabric,. for that we can do only onm the floor, so what if it spoils my trousers.

and it is so kind and nice of u to pick up her kids.And not expect anything in return.

And yr friend put her nose up and smirked.Well well, u have all kinds really.

Regards

kamal

4. kelly1966

kelly1966 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Radhika...
    Dignity of Labour is what I'm always talking about... whatever work you do do it with pride and dignity... Its wonderful that you made friends with lady and didn't stop when you discovered her profession... whats creditable is that you continue to help her and allow your kids to inter-mingle with hers...
    Though I have no problems intermingling with my maids very often I've been ditched really bad by them after treating them as one of the family.
    One of my earlier maid's son and my son were of the same age and he would come home and play with my son and his friends... But my maid never appreciated all that and she gave me a rude shock when she didn't turn up for work and then i found out that she has got a better paying job :bonk... so many instances like this and I think that now with my future maid i shall maintain a distance...
    K

5. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamla mam

Thanks for the fb. .

You said it right, if the maids in India, would be staying in million dollar houses, definitely the scenario would have been different. But think of it, if in india somebody is owning Million Dollar house, they wont go for maids work at all, that much is the mental block we have created for ourselfs.

What i liked here is there is no such mental block about any work here.

I am sorry about your german friend, who didnt able to accept as you are, because you were true, when u said, you cant sit with maid and eat.

I will definitely watch "Abiyum Nanum".

6. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

By reading your posts, we here in Ilites already have glimpses of your personality. I know, you wouldn't have done otherwise, if you were in my place.:).

Help done with expectation, doesn't amounts to help at all isnt it????:)

Have a gr8 day.

7. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Dear Kelly

Thanks for the fb.

I can really understand your concern. I had one very good friend, very close, but suddenly she distanced herself from me, when i left the job, where we were working. It hurted me tooooooo much.

But then i have not stopped making friends or keeping distance with anyone.
    Only think i learnt is "NOT ALLOWING MYSELF TO GET HURT, WITH ANYONES BEHAVIOUR"

When we get hurt, that means, we were expecting something, we didnt get and we got hurt.

So i will says, if possible, dont change yourself, be like you were earlier.

thank for the fb. hve a gr8 day

8. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dear Radsanaha,

I admire you to write this post here. There are very few people who have dignity of labour. Work is work, whatever type it may be. Here in Delhi, wherever I go , people have this habit to show off. One can easily discriminate who is well off and who is not. Way of talking changes just by the amount a person earns. This thing is so much deep seated inside that it is hard to avoid.

Well written..

9. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepali

Thanks for dropping by and fb. Yeah i have one friend from Delhi, but she is a gem, we were together in Sgpr. She has told me about this traits of people n Delhi and i have heard it from others too.

Maybe people like you can try to bring some changes in that attitude:thumbsup by avoiding to follow them. :)

have a gr8 day.