difficulties faced by indian kids in french schools

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by connectgayathri, May 16, 2010.

1. connectgayathri

connectgayathri Bronze IL'ite

Hi everybody,
    we r from tamilnadu but at present living in Brussels.
    i am having a 2.7 year old girl child.we joined her in a French school.here i want to explain one thing..both me and my DH dont know French.Any way by Gods grace we somehow managed to join her in school(the director of school knows little bit english)but again the teacher dont know english.so we r talking with her in sign language(what a pity!!!!)
    but myDD now refused to go to school..she was crying all the time
    is this due to language problems (she talks very well in tamil and little bit english)
    or some other reason.??
    If any one of you faced the same problem...please reply me:drowning:

Last edited: May 16, 2010

2. elenna

elenna New IL'ite

Hi, i live in france and i don't think it z a problem with language ...
    scool is there to learn language ...

I think it s due becauz u changed your country ( new face, new people , white people lol ) and it is normal that kids crying ... becauz they want to stay with their mum ..

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  3. connectgayathri

thanx...for u reply.
    do u know how to make my kid used to the school?

4. lalli30

lalli30 Senior IL'ite

I agree , it might be because of the color differ ence of people around your child... I don't think it s a problem of language.
    I teach English in a French school near Paris and i can tell you there are special classes for children who come from abroad; these are called as CLIN for the small ones up (from 6 to 10 years old ) and CLA from 11 to 16 years old. If the children ar babies, then we will be taken into the kindergarden system, crêche, and they will be in a French speaking surrounding that will also help to them acquiring the language much faster!

There are schools where you can also stay with your child ( when they are small and cry a lot...) at least for the beginning of the day...

Maybe you put a lot of your own fear into your child and that s why your child is reacting like that. Be cool ! Teachers are there to take care!

good luck!

5. connectgayathri

i am happy to read u r reply.
    both me and my kid are going to "meeting point"places where we can meet other kids and parents..i think i can put her in school from november.
    u r right..i have lot of fears but i didnt show to her..but will my child experience it from me?
    how can i encourage her to go to school?
    i will be happy if i got replies..

6. mathse

mathse New IL'ite

வண்ணகம்
    சின்ன பிள்ளைகள் பள்ளிக்கு போக அழுவது இயற்கை நாம் தான் எதாவது சொல்லி மனதை மாற்ற வேண்டும்.

7. lalli30

lalli30 Senior IL'ite

if you can , try to learn abit of french for her sake or if you feel it s too difficult, don t worry...
    just enroll your lovely kid to a club where she could speak with native french speakers , like that , she ll catch the language quickly and it will help her lift her fear of pale skinned kids hihih...

you have to expose your kid to the french language much so that she can grsp it very quickly...
    kids love to play and so they ll have to understand and be understood , that s the best of motivation... she ll be like a sponge, grasping the language without even feeling the difficulties...
    play her some sweet kids songs that you can get from the net , make her watch some cartoons in french...

she ll be fine and so will you i am sure!!!

amusez vous bien les filles!

8. connectgayathri

thanx for u r advice..i will do that

9. PoonamKhurana

PoonamKhurana New IL'ite

Hi Gayathri
    We live in woluwe, Brussels and my child also goes to french school. We both as parent didnt know french when my son joined the french school. But now after four years of school , he is fluent in french and tranlates evrything in English for me. Thats the way I am learning french for him. For children, language is never a problem. You can buy some CD´s in french for your child, he can watch at home. It will take only six months, he will learn everything. Crying in school is normal problem for children. It is not related to language. Just you yourself be strong. All the best.

10. Mira78

Mira78 New IL'ite

Hello,
    We are planning to move to Toulouse and were worried about sending kids to French school. Does any one have any experience with French schools? What could be problems we have to move them to India or English speaking schools let us say after 3-4 years? My kids are 9 and 6 year old.