1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Different flavours of Sugar

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by aquamarine, Mar 19, 2008.

1. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

I keep a separate shelf in the kitchen for my baking ingredients and the most space is occupied by my various types of sugar now you may wonder how many types of sugar can she be talking about…well you see I love to spice my sugar up for various cake recipes, I have vanilla sugar, I have ginger sugar, I have orange sugar and a mixed spice one and rose sugar and yes also lavender and rosemary flavoured one apart from my cane sugar and the brown sugar.

The vanilla sugar is excellent for the usual cakes, the orange I use when I am in a mood to make a nice lemon cake or orange cookies or just plain orange sauce for my waffles. I love to use different flavoured sugar for different recipes….Are you curious to know how this can be done. It is very easy. Simply take about 5 or 6 different types of bottles and fill them up with castor sugar each. Now for the vanilla flavour, you just immerse some vanilla pods about 2 or 3 pods in the bottle and close the lid and don’t open it for about 2 weeks, your vanilla sugar is ready, when using this sugar you needn’t put the vanilla essence if you have run out of it. The others are just the same.. I put some orange peels and lemon zest in the bottle meant for orange sugar, I layer them as I pour the sugar and after two weeks fantastic smell of citrus fills the air. For the spice sugar I immerse some cinnamon sticks long ones and some cloves into the sugar, trust me this really smells fantastic after a few days. As for the ginger flavour, I scatter some ginger powder or pounded dried ginger in the sugar and voila I have a ginger flavour sugar ready. As for the rose flavour, I soak some tissues in rose water and immerse them when I am pouring the sugar inside the bottle. As for lavender and rosemary I use fresh herbs just, snip some fresh herbs and stick them inside the bottle of sugar, for this fresh herbs are really good. This type of sugar can be used in making pies. Don’t use lavender and rosemary together though.

I also love to use them in making lemonade and teas too…you know you can also colour your sugar for extra effect. I have a young sis who just loves cookies especially the valentine cookies that I make for her. When she has invited some of her friends for coffee…..she would pester me saying akka please make them for me as my friends are coming and I want them in pastel shades…..wonder what she is talking about…I usually make the cookies and cut them in heart shape and then bake them crisp then I usually glaze them in pastel colours like pink, light blue, light green, cream and then I take four bowls of the flavoured sugar of different types and then colour them too….just add a few drops of red colour to the sugar and stir them up it will become pink and the same goes for blue, green and cream. Then I just touch the edge of the glazed cookies with the coloured sugar and voila you have a fantastic pink edged pink glazed cookie…looks colourful and tastes yummy too.

Please do let me know what you think of my different flavoured sugar and if you tried them in your recipe…..

Warm wishes

2. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Different flavours of Sugar.

I keep a separate shelf in the kitchen for my baking ingredients and the most space is occupied by my various types of sugar now you may wonder how many types of sugar can she be talking about…well you see I love to spice my sugar up for various cake recipes, I have vanilla sugar, I have ginger sugar, I have orange sugar and a mixed spice one and rose sugar and yes also lavender and rosemary flavoured one apart from my cane sugar and the brown sugar.

The vanilla sugar is excellent for the usual cakes, the orange I use when I am in a mood to make a nice lemon cake or orange cookies or just plain orange sauce for my waffles. I love to use different flavoured sugar for different recipes….Are you curious to know how this can be done. It is very easy. Simply take about 5 or 6 different types of bottles and fill them up with castor sugar each. Now for the vanilla flavour, you just immerse some vanilla pods about 2 or 3 pods in the bottle and close the lid and don’t open it for about 2 weeks, your vanilla sugar is ready, when using this sugar you needn’t put the vanilla essence if you have run out of it. The others are just the same.. I put some orange peels and lemon zest in the bottle meant for orange sugar, I layer them as I pour the sugar and after two weeks fantastic smell of citrus fills the air. For the spice sugar I immerse some cinnamon sticks long ones and some cloves into the sugar, trust me this really smells fantastic after a few days. As for the ginger flavour, I scatter some ginger powder or pounded dried ginger in the sugar and voila I have a ginger flavour sugar ready. As for the rose flavour, I soak some tissues in rose water and immerse them when I am pouring the sugar inside the bottle. As for lavender and rosemary I use fresh herbs just, snip some fresh herbs and stick them inside the bottle of sugar, for this fresh herbs are really good. This type of sugar can be used in making pies. Don’t use lavender and rosemary together though.

I also love to use them in making lemonade and teas too…you know you can also colour your sugar for extra effect. I have a young sis who just loves cookies especially the valentine cookies that I make for her. When she has invited some of her friends for coffee…..she would pester me saying akka please make them for me as my friends are coming and I want them in pastel shades…..wonder what she is talking about…I usually make the cookies and cut them in heart shape and then bake them crisp then I usually glaze them in pastel colours like pink, light blue, light green, cream and then I take four bowls of the flavoured sugar of different types and then colour them too….just add a few drops of red colour to the sugar and stir them up it will become pink and the same goes for blue, green and cream. Then I just touch the edge of the glazed cookies with the coloured sugar and voila you have a fantastic pink edged pink glazed cookie…looks colourful and tastes yummy too.

Please do let me know what you think of my different flavoured sugar and if you tried them in your recipe…..

Warm wishes

Aqua

3. vase

vase Senior IL'ite

Re: Different flavours of Sugar.

Vow Aqua! Bow
    That is really very yummy to read! I have just recently started trying my hand at baking cakes at home. Will definitely use some of your tips given here.

Cheers!

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Priya,

No wonder ur mom told me, that u are as sweet as sugar.Now i know the reason why Big Laugh
    Never knew all this.and i do have a sweet tooth.Regards.kamal

5. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

aqua,
    its really fun to hav varieties in sugar.all these days i usually heard of collecting coffee or tea varieties.but urs is differen t
    raji

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Hey Aqua,

Nice tips dear. Shall try something soon . So this post has unleashed one more talent .mmm So Apart from your great writing skills, your a good cook too!!

Regards,
    Devika

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

priya,

I know you are a good cook. I have kept cinnamon added to sugar for apple cookies. and elaichi in sugar for some payasams and teas.

will try these also and come back with feed back. loved the colorful glazing. will try and surprise my kids.

8. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Wow! Just reading your post makes me want to taste your cookies!:drool As for trying these out.....well I am yet to start baking cookies. Once I do that, I will try out your flavoured sugar! By the way, is castor sugar obtained by grinding normal sugar finely?

Regards,
    Anitha

9. myfairlady

myfairlady New IL'ite

Sugar...... :) :)- :)--mmmmmmm

Love the sweet..... That too a flavored sugar.... mmmmmm

You had made me to drool and ache for your cookies and cakes....

esp... your banana bread.... yummmmmmmmm

With love, MFL

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dearie Aqua,
    Sugar...that too different flavours..hmm..i'm already drooling...I have not ventured into baking..will try out all ur flavours ..but for sure read and enjoyed it and also virtually tasted all the cakes...
    But you know what..sugar is a Tabooo for me now as im on diet and my dietician is finding it hard to make me stay out of sugar..how can u post this and tempt me...too bad...(kidding)..lip smacking post...