1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet in summer for 11 months old baby

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by KiranKishore, Apr 11, 2010.

1. KiranKishore

KiranKishore New IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I'm a mother of 11 months old baby and she is not taking food from last 3 days. I'm worried.. Earlier she use to eat properly. She had vomittings 5 days back and her motion was not proper so we went to doctor and he suggested "polybion" and "rebalanz" . He also said not to give milk for 3 days and suggested diet like cooked apple/curd rice/rice kanji/butter milk/cocunut water/sabu dana kanji/idli. But she is not taking any of them.So, we started giving what ever she likes to eat like banana/cerelac/milk from yesterday.

She is not showing interest in any of these today. Since from morning she ate one serving of ragi kanji/100 ml milk/100ml butter milk. I'm really worried and not getting any idea like what to keep so that she can show interest to eat. she can happily drink water but, that will not suffice right?
    Please give me some ideas so that she can eat and at the same time it gives her strength. Is this normal and any one of you have experienced this kind of situation? how did you dealt with that? Her weight is also not increasing and she is only 7.10 kgs. When i asked doctor about this he says her tendency/potential is like that as long as she is active no need to worry and he says absolutely not to worry about her weight.

Pleazzzzzzzzzz give me some ideas for her diet in this summer so that she can take and show interst to eat and also any ideas to increase her weight?

Waiting for all of your replies...

Kiran

2. sansmomy

sansmomy Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kiran,
    My DD is 6+ months old and she also shows patterns like this since the summer has started...someday she'll eat proper and another time, she will just be cranky at the sight of food...on such occasions, I let her be like that..she eventually makes up for her diet (i.e. if she eats less for 2-3 days then she eats more the next 2-3 days and compensates)....I spoke to few friends at office and they also experience the same with their kids...Even adults feel like having lesser food in summer, so i guess it is natural...

However, if your daughter was not well in recent past and you are worried on her recovery from that, then I would suggest you to try giving her some fruit juice (home made and fresh) or coconut water...vegetable juices can also be tried (e.g. carrot+beatroot) if she has developed a taste for it...This will help her maintain the energy level....

I think, it would be just trial and error for you, still something clicks with her...:)
    but dont worry, she will definitely not be starving herself (no baby starves itself).

I am sorry, I have no clue on the weight gain thing :( But if the pedi is saying that her weight is ok, then I guess you need not worry about it...

Take care,
    S.

sindmani likes this.
  3. swethakalyanee

swethakalyanee New IL'ite

Hi Kiran,

The very line that your DD wants only to drink water, suggests that she needs lot of liquids. Its quite normal in summer, so pls dont worry. She drinking lots of water is really good.

*Give her diluted rice kanji with Butter milk. You can flavor it by adding a pinch of salt,asafoetida (helps removing gas from her system).

*Instead of feeding her the rice kanji with a spoon (like solids),mash it well and dilute it well and make it as a drink. It will refresh her.

*If she suffers from hardening of stools, soak some raisin, in clean, hot water for about one hour. the, filter out the raisins and Just feed her the raisin water. Its an excellent laxative.

*If you breastfeed her, eat a lot of dry grapes and bananas urself. The needed medicine will go to your DD, thru' ur Breast milk.

*Whatever food u give now, dilute it. like rasam, buttermilk etc.,
    Add asafoetida, cumin seeds(jeera) in her diet which will soothe her stomach.

*Please avoid ragi for a while ( till she gets back to her normal course of eating like before) .

*Most Kids don't like this Coconut water :) I have similar experience with my kid. So u can avoid that for now.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Summer season itself seems to affect digestive system..
    Few suggestions which I have:
    Increase water intake with juice, soups etc
    Do not over feed
    On demand feeds
    Soaking raisins overnight in warm water
    Gripe water or colic aid drops SOS

sindmani likes this.