1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for Babies Under 1 year

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vandhana, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Re: Daily Diet Plan for our babies

Dear,
    Each kid has different constitution.So one does not apply to another. These are the few important points you may consider in the diet

1) Please slowly add in solids in the diet and watch how the baby takes to it

2) Avoid as much as ready made food like heinz etc . Use it for travelling

3) You can add fruits like papaya which are soft and mushy (infact 1 teaspoon when 4 months old)

4) Breast milk is the best, pls stick to it if you can

5) Children do need plenty of fluids .it helps in preventing constipation

6) Two solid meals is sufficient, with one semi solid, maintain at least 2-3times milk (if no lactose intolerance)

Please remember each baby's constitution is different so you make the final call

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hello,

As priya has pointed out the frequency depends on the age and requirements of that particular baby. A newborn needs 10-12 feeds a day while a 12 mnth old may need only 3-4. Breast milk has sufficient iron for a baby and morever the iron in BM is in the best possible form for maximum absorption. This is fact one of the main reasons why Bfing is advocated until 1 year and solids are recommended only after 6 mnths.

Lack of BFing DOES NOT cause autism. Show me the evidence to back up your statement.

Really? Says who?

I dont see what living in india or elsewhere has to do with this.

This has got to be one of the most intolerant posts i have come across on this forum. I dont know what you hope to achieve by this other than making a lot of people very angry. All of us - whether in india or outside - are doing the best we can for our babies, so think twice before you hurl accusations right and left. There is no one way to raise a child and you need to look at what you write before you hit the "submit Reply" button.This is a SUPPORTIVE, TOLERANT board and we would like it to remain that way.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Since Aarya is 7 mnths old now you can try the second way. Ragi is a cereal (like rice/wheat/oats).Finger millet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia We usually dont add spices to it - I know many adults who eat ragi dosa and also porridge with salt and buttermilk instead of sugar. Also look at Chitvish recipes for soups.http://www.indusladies.com/forums/ask-chitvish/22720-z-order-chitvish-recipes-easy-5.html#post276743 Lots of yummy soups there.

Reshmi - Try this http://www.indusladies.com/forums/24283-post57.html This is like the rasam i make for Aadhu.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  4. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear meeta

i gave ragi for my daughter and she liked it..it is very nutitious and healthy...if you could get it,try making kanji out of it and feeding the baby....for my son aryan who is 5 months old, i give him ragi kanji only...

lov
    sowmi

5. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

6. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Vanathi,
    I would not even bother responding to someone like twinuma. Either she may have been going thro some postpartum emotional issues or may have some serious self esteem issues regarding her mothering skills. Hopefully her hormones and senses are back to normal. :crazy
    Glad to know that the tadka dhal recipie worked out.

Advi's mom.. here is what I do for Baby's rasam. ( Check with one feeding and see if the baby does not react to tomatoes' acidity. The recipie is good for babies 8 months plus)
    Baby Rasam
    ------------------
    Boil one large tomotaoe with water ( like soup).
    pinch of asfoteida.
    Add 1/2 teaspoon of jeera pepper.
    Add a pinch of black pepper and salt ( very little)
    Add little finely chopped cilantro ( kothamalli)
    After the mixture is boiling for 15 min I put it thro a strainer and hand squeeze the tomatoe so that only the pulp goes thro and all other choking hazard does not pass thro. You can give this with mashed rice, rice cereal or with cooked Toor dhal.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

That was my first thought too Dallascw. A little later though I thought i should post one reply and then stop. Now I'm back to thinking I shouldnt have bothered - you are right. :)

Vanathi.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

How did you make the chutney....I want to try it too!

Vanathi.

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

dallascw and Vanathi, you guys are sharing so many yummy recipes but Riya is not there yet so I can't make those for her just yet. I'll have to search for these recipes when she is 8 or 9 months old. Or maybe I should save all these recipes on a word document, I think that will be better.

Thanks for sharing!

Raj

10. janaki25

janaki25 Senior IL'ite

My son is 11 months now and yesterday was the first time I gave him rasam rice and curd rice.He had been totally refusing to eat the usual things that I used to feed him like cereals, vegetable purees,fruit purees etc.Initially I thought this must be solely due to teething....but then I realised that he must be simply bored with this stuff.Though I have been wanting to change his diet and start giving him rasam etc for a while now,for some reason my relatives were discouraging me from doing so.
    But since he hadnt eaten properly for almost 4 to 5 days,I thought its high time I stop listening to the others and change his diet for good.And touchwood,he simply loved it .
    I really want to thank and appreciate all of you IL for giving me soo many ideas about what to feed my kid.Since I dont have anyone here to advise me on these issues,I would be totally lost , not knowing what to do if it were not for ladies like you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.