1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for Babies Under 1 year

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vandhana, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Thank you for your reply Vanathi.
    Few questions are coming in my mind
    1)Should I consider Aarya in older babies or in babies just starting solids. I started Aarya on solid from her fth month.
    2) Is Ragi a kind of Lentil?
    3) IS there any other spices I can add to it?

Thanks Vanathi

2. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Can we get a sticky of the recipies by age. It seems difficult to go through all the threads to get to the recipies.
    6-9 months
    9-12 months
    12 months onwards should be a good break up for solid foods.

3. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

i second U, but plz add 4-6 mths too.

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi. Didn't realize BabyCenter has an India section in it. Great!

Raj

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Just wanted to share a tip on boiling veggies and fruits - In order to not lose valuable vitamins and minerals, bring the water to a rolling boil before adding veggies or fruits, cover and then simmer for 5-7 mins. I still prefer steaming from boiling though.

Raj

6. twinuma

twinuma New IL'ite

Hi all,

The first step to feed your baby is to throw away your laziness and take up enormous patience.

I am sharing with all of you my experience with my son.. He is now 3 years old however I can enlight you some of the feeding issues..

These days I find lot of mothers giving BF too much say 6 to 7 times a day which causes anemia as Milk has got no or negligle iron which is important for the baby..

THESE DAYS MOTHERS DO NOT BREAST FREED THEIR BABIES AND THEN COMPLAINT OF AUTISM AND OTHER DISORDERS.. IF only you activate your baby's brain with DHA which is enormous only in breast milk the baby will have cognitive development..

I fed my baby with Ragi kanji or porridge which has all important cereals and pulses..

RAGI 1/2 KG
    Pottu kadalai 1 kg
    Kaikuthal Rice 200 g
    Small white cholam (corn) 200 g
    Puzungal arisi 1 small cup
    Badam 200 g
    Elaichi 4 nos

Grind it to a fine powder after frying all these and store it in an airtight container.. You can make porridge by mixing with water and sugar and boil the same and add milk and ghee..

This makes a yummy cereal much better than the US based stupid cereals which has no nutritive value at all..

Giving the baby lot of readymade cereals will make the baby "buddhu" and cause slow mental development..

SORRY to say this.. these days young mothers have gone so lazy that they stock all nonsense organic food bottles which has absolutely nothing other than creating constipation for the babies..

I prepare my own stock by cooking basmati rice, moongdhal, one or two veggies, and then grinding it to a fine mix and feeding with ghee and rasam..

By pressure cooking the veggies and fruits you too can prepare the same sauces just as available and it would be fresh and enriched with vitamins and minerals..

Atleast Indians go the traditional way and give your baby a healthy brain..

rgds
    Uma

7. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

My 1<SUP>st</SUP> post in this thread. Went thru’ all infant mommies posts… worth reading and very useful as I was also not sure abt wat all new food to try with. Advi s 8 months old...ragi/oatmeal, rice, dal, idli, veggies like carrot, potato, fruits-bananas & steamed apple are wat I offer him. Please do mention wat all fruits n veggies you all give <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">ur</st1:City></st1:place> babies..

Well, I too give Advi Ragi meal…as grand moms say it is rich in calcium & iron. Bu tmy method is bit different. Powdrered ragi is mixed with water several times and allowed to sediment… the clear part is used for making porridge while the sediment is discarded. I add jaggery instead of sugar as it is said jaggery provides enough b-complex.

One doubt… how do u all prepare rasam for babies? Infact I do add more pepper to rasam so never offered him tht. wat good is garlic for infants?

Reshmi

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 300pt; HEIGHT: 60pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://b1.lilypie.com/LLdUp4.png?r=926d7e2" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

8. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Uma,
    I cannot agree with all you have posted.I also kind of feel its totally intolerant to some choices moms make.I beleive every mom knows whats best for the baby.
    This depends totally on the age of the baby,feeding a 5 or 6 month old 6,7 times is not too much,but necessary.

I'am lost again so you mean to say the mom is responsible if the child is autistic ?
    I again think this is individuals choice and for your information most formula come with added DHA ,ARA in them.

Just because your recipe make yummy cereal,does not make other cereals stupid.
    So you mean to say all moms who feed readymade cereals have "buddus",I'am lost again.
    I would have a "buddu" kid anyday who is more tolerant towards others choices than a smart one who is not.

I don't get this buying organic doesn't mean you have gone lazy,just making a healthly choice organic fruits and veges need to be prepared too.
    I truly beleive every mom knows what is best for their baby.Just because their choice is not same as ours does not mean they are wrong.

Priya

9. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends
    What do you think about giving Sabudana Kheer to Aarya, 7 month old. If it sounds good than please share your recipe. Also, is it ok to add pinch of saffron, badam etc.?

Thanks
    Meeta

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Uma, I do agree with Priya. You are generalizing all moms living in US, and just because a mother feeds her baby store bought organic food or packaged cereals doesn't make her a lazy or a bad mother. Like Priya said, it's an individual's choice and every mother makes the best decision that she thinks is good for the baby. In this forum, as you can see, all of us moms living in US are doing our best to share, ask and get help so we can feed our babies healthy food, whether it's home made, store bought or both.

You must be a stay at home mom with a lot of help from family, friends or paid help, but not all moms are lucky enough to have that luxury and to cook meals for the family three times a day. So please do give them a slack. :)

Oh, and I would like to know where you're getting these findings about some of your claims like eating packaged cereal makes a kid buddhu or a baby gets anaemic by nursing too many times or the claim about Autism. Would appreciate if you can share these research or findings.

Raj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.