1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for Babies Under 1 year

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vandhana, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: What did you feed your kid today?

Vinay wen exclusively BF, will poop once a day,rarely for two days, but once i started solids, he has hard bowel movet, beside he doesnt poop for 2 days also. Is it bcos he s dehydrated, or what shd i do.
    When i ask the doctor, they always say IF UR BABY IS COMFORTABLE, DONT WORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This sentence irritates me a lot, if parent asks question the doctor shd give relevant answer, i dont know why they give these type of replies!!!!!!!! I dont think Doctors in India do this!!!!!!
    Doctorss here work for money no dedication at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm, leave that girls, our forum helps us a lot :).
    So what to do in my case, shd i increase fluid for Vinay?

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Daily Diet Plan for our babies

Ya, i agree that foods has their natural taste, but the reason for me adding salt is that he shd get used to salty foods, even i do add sugar in his cereal rather than giving it plain, which he likes when sugar is added:)

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San - Re constipation (it is constipation only if the stools are hard, NOT if he doesnt pass stools everyday btw) , first thing increase the water intake. If that doesnt help give prune juice , diluted with water (1:1), that will definitely help. As the solids increase, esp fruits and veggies, the constipation will go away. You can start ragi anytime after 4 mnths (in fact its the starter cereal for many babies instead of rice). To quote someone else's post click on Quote on the right bottom corner and delete whatever bits you dont need.

Raj/Priya - I never gave biscuits before he could pick them up by himself. I dont see the point in giving it either. Right now I'm stuck for finger foods that he will eat - I'm working on apples, let's see.

Priya - you can try idli/dosa/parathas and soak it in formula. Thats a good way of introducing these items and giving some formula at the same time.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Yes San EBM is expressed breast milk.I used to give cereals 3 times a day so he gets formula/BM in it,but it was not for long he kind of got bored soon and he likes paruppu rice with rasam better.I guess very soon I will be replacing breakfast or dinner with idli/dosa.But around 5 1/2 -6 months he had only max of 2 solid meals a day rest were milk feeds atleast 4-5 times during the day.I'am no breast feeding expert ,I myself have lot of trouble breast feeding .But from what I read and my experiance the more the baby nurses the more your body will produce.So don't think you make less milk.Let him nurse as much as he wants,in 2,3 days your supply will catch up.

5. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot Vanathi.I have a question,I know exclusively BF babies can even go upto a week without bowel movement,but does this apply to formula fed and babies on solids.I read somewhere that bowel movement once or twice a day with normal looking stools is a good indication that baby gets enough after you start on solids,is this true.

I'am going to grind some batter this weekend and start him on idli/dosa for breakfast.Thanks for the idea.I don't want to experiment on parathas yet as I myself cannot stand my parathas Big Laugh
    Will it be ok if I can store the batter in fridge for a week and make idli's and dosa's for baby.I cannot grind every other day.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Re: What did you feed your kid today?

Priya - Once babies are on solids we normally expect a bowel movement everyday, but its not a hard and fast rule. One every other day is ok too. There are many babies (adults too) who go twice a day, some once a day and some once in 2 days - these are all normal provided there is no actual discomfort or straining. Abt the batter sure you can - I grind only once a week for the whole family. Start with idli when the batter is fresh and dosa as it gets older.

Hi Gayathri,

That is exactly what we did. That thread got merged into this one by the moderator. I too think it's better to have a separate thread for the infants. Maybe you could PM the moderator?

Vanathi.

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Vanathi

I give him prune juice if he doesnt poop for more than a day,that too since he s on solid food now, it s good to poop daily right..So i dont wait for more than 1 day to give him the prune juice.
    I have increased water intake for him little bit, but he doesnt drink much, esp he s not willing to take bottle, wat to do? At present i use paladai only!!
    Also he s not taking formula, wat to do if my supply is less sometimes?

Thanks

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San - its alright not to poop everyday even on solids. The consistency is always more important than the frequency. As he eats more and there is more bulk and fibre in the food the frequency will normalize. Try a sipper for the water or even an ordinary cup (he's too old for paladais dont you think?). Feeding more often is the only sure way of increasing supply. Why do you think your supply is low btw?

Vanathi.

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana, this makes it a whole lot easier!

Raj

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Yesterday I tried pureed baked apple with cinnamon again for Riya and she ate half of it. Last time I tried she made a face, so this time we made some progress. I gave her the water that I baked the apple in as juice in her sippy cup. She liked it too! Of course, she's a big fan of drinking water out of a sippy cup or a cup now. Chews the sippy cup and spills or blows bubbles when drinking out of a cup.

For the last 4-5 days her dad is feeding her dinner and seems like he's enjoying it. It's good to see them both together and making a mess. Big Laugh

Raj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.