1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for Babies Under 1 year

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vandhana, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newmommy

newmommy Senior IL'ite

Re: What did you feed your kid today?

Raj,
    Formula/BM has more nutrients per calorie and more calorie per oz than any other food ,since babies cannot eat wide variety of food BM and formula helps them to get all the nutrients they need.These days I'am not stressing much as I used since I have more options with solids than what I had before 3 months .
    Meeta,do not worry about dehydration all solids have water ,If she has 1or 2 poopy diapers a day you are fine.You can add more fruits to her diet,they have lot of water.

I totally agree with Raj.Moreover babies tend to look like their parents if you are petite baby will be petite.As long as baby is gaining weight we are fine.My LO's weight gain has slowed down a bit,but that is expected when they get mobile.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Daily Diet Plan for our babies

Hi

Its not that it has nutrients, just for a change, i give biscuit.. He likes to have it infact today he had it as such instead of soaking in water, initially he had well the biscuit but once we soaked in water and gave, he didnt take much, Hmmmmm babies can differentiate taste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Meeta, just a doubt, is it ok to give paratha to baby, can she digest?

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hmmm Ragi, ok..when can i start giving Ragi for Vinay?

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Raj

Biscuit is for change only, not for any nutrition specifically.
    I too give carrot but i do add little salt, how much carrot do u give, i give around 4 to 5 bay carrots once a day, mashed well..
    Is it ok to add spices for baby, can they digest it? How abt garlic?

6. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Oh New mommy, i am much less experienced than u all, so i dont have any suggestions at present;-)
    EBM? is it extra breast milk, if i m not wrong?
    so u give only twice a day cereal, i give 3 times a day, is it ok?
    He is not taking bottle so no formula, even i try feeding him using paladai, he rejects, he cries!!!!!!Dont know what to do for milk supplement as i dont have enuf to give more than 3 tms a day max..Any ideas?

7. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Raj, i think its a supplement to Milk which gives Calcium and other essential minerals that milk has than these solid foods.. Lets see wat others say!!

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Gotcha!! :thumbsup

Raj

9. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

I have learned that babies' eating habit, sleeping habit and everything else goes up and down, it's like they go through a phase until it comes back to a normal, but in the meantime we kill ourselves worrying.

Very True Raj :), by the way how to select particular line from a para to quote?? ;-)

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Makes sense on biscuit, it's good to bring a change in the diet so they don't get bored.

Today was the first day I gave Riya carrots - I steamed 4-5 mini carrots and mashed them well, added some rice cereal (for the benefit of adding iron) and a tsp of plain dahi. She didn't finish all of it but it seems she liked it. Personally, I don't think babies at Riya's age need any extra salt or sugar - carrots, bananas, sweet potatoes they all have natural sugar in them, and I also think it's important that the baby gets used to the real taste of the food- but this is strictly a personal opinion. :)

I do think though that it's okay to give some spices like cinnamon and nutmeg (good for digestion). I don't give her raw garlic, I add it in dal and khichdi so it gets pressure cooked and mashed.

Raj

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.