1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diet for Babies Under 1 year

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Vandhana, Jun 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

True,Sandhya and Vanathi.Now I remember my nephew had constipation too when he was a baby and he was having Pondhan Kaya,a variety of plantain,something available in Kerala as solid food.

Vanathi,I don't think the ones available here are Poovan or Rasthali.This is a long variety ,God's knows what.

2. ramyau

ramyau New IL'ite

Hi Meeta,

Thanks for the replay... nowa days my son his not drinking fromula at all & even he isnot taking gerber fruits. i tried fresh apple but he is not eating thats also. pls tell me how togive him fruits & what type of fruits & how...

Now he is11 months,can u tell me what type of food can i give now except the regular diet ( what to add )...

Rgs
    Ramya

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Ramya, what do you mean by Gerber fruits? How did you give him the apple? YOu can bake apple with cinnamon sprinkled on it, if he doesn't like the taste of raw ones. You can try banana, peaches (de-skin the peaches for now), cantaloupe, seedless watermelon. I would cut the fruits in little chunks and give them as finger food. Let him play with those if he wants to, he'll get used to their taste slowly.

I don't remember what you mentioned as his diet is. If you don't mind, can you type it up again? It will give us a better idea to see what all he's eating.

Raj

4. ramyau

ramyau New IL'ite

Hi Raj,

My son is 11 months old... frist he use to drink formula,but from past 1 month he is not drinking formula.. his diet is
    9.30 : Ragi kanji
    1.30 : kichedi or rice & dal with 1 veg...
    5.30 : i will try to give friuts or gerber fruits ( sometime he will eat ...)
    8.30 : cereal...
    before he useto drink formula in morning, evening & in night, but now he is not taking...
    And even he is boared to eat same food every day...can u pls tell me different food,so i can try ( he may eat )..
    pls tell me what veggs & friuts can i give him..

Rgs
    Ramya

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Ramya, I don't blame him for getted bored by the same food. For Riya, I just modify whatever I am making for dinner. Here are some examples...

When I make dal, rice and veggies - I just take out dal before tempering, and steam some veggies separately for her. I temper her dal in ghee with a little cumin powder, mash it all together, mix some yogurt and feed her. Today she had mango mashed with vanilla yogurt and oatmeal cereal to make it a thicker consistency.

If we are eating a fruit salad, I mash some of that and mix with vanilla yogurt for her. (Get some frozen fruit and then put them all in a blender with some flavored yogurt and whip him up some breakfast smoothie.)

Idlis with sambar, rasam rice, chappatis soaked in dahi, dal or milk, egg yolk (if you have started that), baked chicken (I don't know if you are a non-vegetarian or not) are all some of the other options.

I think for a 11 month old there are so many options. Just read through this thread and you'll find a TON of ideas.

Good luck!

Raj

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Ramya,
    A 11 mnth old can eat everything you eat with some adjustments made for spiciness. My son at 11 mnths was eating idli/dosa/chapathi/rice/dal/curd/chicken/ mutton/egg yolk/ragi/pasta/upma/sevai.....you get the idea.....I just remove a portion of the dish for him before adding the chillies/masala powders. Practically every vegetable and fruit (with some care - like removing the skin for apples, cutting into small peices to avoid choking etc.) can be given. In fact I would go so far as to say that you must try to give all this before the first bday so that he learns to eat different things. You can also talk to your pedi and if he is ok with it start cow's milk as he doesnt like formula. Have a look at this for ideas.

Vanathi.

7. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Aanya is 7 mth old, i'm curious what else i'll give her & includes in her diet. Right now i'm giving her solids twice a day. But she is very fussy, she doesn't like cereals very much. i try to give her variety like banana/potatoes/daal with curd, apple sauce/puree, plum, peach/peas etc. I tried to give her khicdi too but she doesn't like it.

Ladies plz give me suggestion what else i include in her diet.

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Cheer - Have you tried adding a bit of salt and pepper to the dal/kichdi? I remember when Aadhu was around this age he used to hate plain food and would eat dal rice only with these additions. Does she hate all fruits/veggies? If there is one she likes you can combine that with something else and she may eat better. Aadhu loved bananas so I used to add a bit of banana puree to fruits that he didnt like much. Have you tried carrots, beetroot puree with cereal? The colour helps them eat. Which cereals have you given and how?

Vanathi.

9. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

yes i made khichdi with pinch of salt for taste but she refused. Yes i'm giving her carrots, peas, potatoes, apple, banana, plum, appricot, pears. Wht is beetroot??

I start giving her mixed cereals like with 4 fruits, oat+wheat cereal, even i tried to give her daliya (oat meal with daal) she eat little that's it.

I'm going to india in couple of days can i give cereals with cow milk, she doesn't like to eat cereal with formula. Is it fine to add cow milk in cereals, biscuits, with paratha's etc.

Plz advice me, my milk is not sufficient & she doesn't like to have things with formula. So if it's fine to add cow milk instead. I'm also giving her curd rice sometime. Seems like she doesn't want to eat boil rice as it is. Maybe prob to chew i don't know.

Plz advice me some other recipes. Can i give her idlii with sambhar???

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I think you can give her small amounts of cows milk. Also definitely idli/dosa with dal/curd (sambar maybe too spicy for her right now). Also try adding some rasam to the dal rice - that works for may babies. Have a good trip!

V.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.