Did you outsource cooking,cleaning or any other household chore post pregnancy??

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by ForeverPositive, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ForeverPositive

ForeverPositive New IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to know esp from People who do not have a very strong backup support system here(i.e.families and all) , irrespective of whether you are working full time,part time or are stay at home.
    Did you outsource any cooking (ate out a lot, ordered tiffins, went and got rotis from outside etc), or got cleaning services at home or even just went in for a nanny, full time live in at home???

Or do you still feel you are able to do everything including managing your LO and have time for yourself???? (In that case would love to hear your strategy!!!!)

Cheers!!!

Similar Threads
    1. sundarusha
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. tadasari
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Hi Foreverpositive,Sorry for gatecrashing...don't belong to the group you are seeking suggestions from, but to the one providing support..!.:biggrin2:.......!:clap for trying to emulate you nickname, but.....

is there goddesses like that? Would certainly like to know!:hiyaPlease don't mistake me dear, am just curious.

3. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hi FP,

I could relate myself to somewhat extent of what you narrated as we were in US alone (w/o family around but friends everywhere!!)and managed my second delivery (c-section) on our own.
    This was my strategy:

Throughout my preg since i did not have any issues i managed to eat food made by me and sometimes my friends used to make some special dishes which i felt like eating.I had lots of fruits and raw salads.Apart from this sometimes we ate out at restaurants.I had a group of 8-10 good friends we used to meet regularly every week so food was not an issue.
    Coming to cleaning i did the regular job until i felt i could do it (almost 7months) then i realised that my hubbywill never take charge until i say NO so i started saying NO ....ha ha!!
    Coming to post-preg, YES....we ordered food for abt 1month or so bcos i had a c-section and had an older child to be sent to school. SO i listed the daily menu to one of my friend (restricted diet after preg) she used to send it to home and i used to keep only the rice.
    Above all, it needed lots of will power and inner strength to tackle this situation as it is very difficult to manage an infant w/o any support(when my hubby used to go to office)
    Anyways, thats history for us now and my daughter is now 2.5yrs old.
    Hope i answered your queries. Anything else...im glad to help.

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I am not even waiting till my delivery to out-source .... it makes life so much easier, especially with all the pregnancy aches and pains. And saves me from nagging hubby to do things I can't do anymore.

I call a cleaning lady every 3 weeks for cleaning the whole house. Ofcourse, I still need to do a bit of kitchen cleaning in between but it is managable. And hubby loves the fact that he does not have to dust, vacuum or clean the bathrooms.

I tried to outsource the cooking but the cost is prohibitive. In the bay area, they charge $50 for 3 hours to come and cook. Plus the cost of groceries. I just make the bare minimum these days and hubby pitches in on the weekends. We also buy ready made chappatis.

We do eat out atleast twice a week and justify that by the plenty of low cost vegetarian options in the bay area. We can get a thali and some parathas for 10 bucks which is enough to feed 2 people for dinner.

Once my kid is born and my mom leaves, I plan on hiring a full-time nanny. Here in the bay area, a lot of desi aunties in their 50's/60's work as nannies. They charge around $1400 per month, and help take care of baby, do the cooking as well as some light cleaning/laundry. Best of all, your baby gets individual attention at home rather than being at a day-care.

Cheers.

5. ForeverPositive

ForeverPositive New IL'ite

Thanks everyone for your responses!!!Bow

Hi Kaluputti,
    As far as your question goes I myself don't know what to say.I am not aware if there is a Goddess by the nickname that I have randomly chosen.But my gut tells me it is very possible given that there are more than 36 crore different swaroops of Gods and Goddesses in indian mythology.So depending on what religiuos sect you are a part of , you can research it and find out more:)

The reason I kept this nickname is coz that's my philosophy in most things I do
    Cheers:)

6. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

It was a nice reply, ForeverPositive!:-D

Actually your words below,

made me 'wonder aloud'!

In my opinion, all women on earth are semi-goddesses.But I consider who live abroad, manage pregnancy,delivery and the rest without any help from family, needless to mention about those who pitch in to help in spite of busy schedule...goddesses!I am always in awe of these gals!Instead of giving some constructive suggestions, I expressed myself, please bear with me, for that,
    Secondly, I very much love your nick name, which inspires me , in my mid fifties to emulate you!Bowdidn't mean to offend you!

Wish you good luck.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  7. nakkamanju

nakkamanju New IL'ite

hi ....
    i am writing this out of my exp .......i recently gave birth to my second kid ..its been a month and 10 days ...and my daughter is 32 months old ..and to be frank with a normal delivery and a toddler on hand i am able to manage pretty good ..able to cook clean do laundry take care of my daughter and younger one too...infact thruout my pregnancy i did all house hold chores like cooking,cleaning 2 restrooms ,vaccuming and even walking 2 to 3 miles everyday ....till the day of my delivery ....
    every ones endurance level is different ....so one has to decide and plan according to there level.
    thanks

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Dimple

My reply is similar to Manju's.With a 5 1/2 yr old ,I was able to do all household chores till my delivery and even drop/pick him up from school till atleast a month before delivery.This in addition to going to the gym for 30 minutes each day.Even after my second child was born this Feb,I remember resting only for a week after the delivery.Even though my mom was here to help with the cooking,I was doing everything else and I resumed full time cooking too within a month.I should thank my mom too for that,she used to force me to do everything and not just keep lying down and become lazy.Today,in just four months after the delivery,I have lost 34 pounds! Do you believe it!