1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Did you know how much water to drink?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by kavya, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Surya

Surya Senior IL'ite

Amount of water to drink

Water is an important structural component of skin cartilage, tissues and organs. For human beings, every part of the body is dependent on water. Our body comprises about 75% water: the brain has 85%, blood is 90%, muscles are 75%, kidney is 82% and bones are 22% water. The functions of our glands and organs will eventually deteriorate if they are not nourished with good, clean water.

The average adult loses about 2.5 litres water daily through perspiration, breathing and elimination. Symptoms of the body'sdeterioration begins to appear when the body loses 5% of its total water volume. In a healthy adult, this is seen as fatigue and general discomfort, whereas for an infant, it can be dehydrating. In an elderly person, a 5% water loss causes the body chemistry to become abnormal, especially if the percentage of electrolytes is over balanced with sodium.One can usually see symptoms of aging, such as wrinkles, lethargy and even disorientation. Continuous water loss over time will speed up aging as well as increase risks of diseases.

If your body is not sufficiently hydrated, the cells will draw water from your bloodstream, which will make your heart work harder. At the same time, the kidneys cannot purify blood effectively. When this happens, some of the kidney's workload is passed on to the liver and other organs, which may cause them to be severely stressed. Additionally, you may develop a number of minor health conditions such as constipation, dry and itchy skin, acne, nosebleeds, urinary tract infection, coughs, sneezing, sinus pressure, and headaches.

So, how much water is enough for you? The minimum amount of water you need depends on your body weight. A more accurate calculation, is to drink an ounce of water for every two pounds of body weight.

regards,
    surya.

2. Thooral Mazhai

Thooral Mazhai New IL'ite

it will affect ones health if one take excess water?

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

having a name like that i dont think u should ask this hahahah

never/ water is one of the element of life's existance....it only helps to throw toxic out...especially for people who have stopped regular monthly periods....hope u have read it in the same thread here......for knee pain arthiritis.rheumatism...and many other acute diseases......regards sunkan.

4. Tricia

Tricia New IL'ite

Hello Everyone,
    My Name Is Tricia and I am new to group. I discovered group by surfin. I had gastric bypass last yr Dec 5,2007. I was just reading site about how much water to drink. I already knew that. I drink 80 ozs aday. I just need some more support. When I came across this site. I started out weighing 293 before surgery now I am weighin 215. Also I was diabetic before surgery and was takin oral medicine and insulin I no longer take either one before I came out hosiptal I was taken off. I read one of of post about diabetic and water. Dr use to stress to me water is a factor with bein a diabetic. Drink water water and eat right. Water helps. I no longer take high blood pressure medicine either. I am doing well since surgery. I take it one day at a time. I am from Killeen,Texas

5. Tricia

Tricia New IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    I drinks crystal lite and water sensation help with my water intake all sugar free since my gastric bypass use be hard for me get all my fluids in

6. padmaiyangar

padmaiyangar Bronze IL'ite

.[​IMG]

All the essential organs of our body require ample amounts of water in order to perform properly. , many individuals do not understand how important consuming water is to our overall health.

If you do not drink enough water there can be severe consequences. The most common negative effect of not consuming enough water is dehydration. . This can cause many problems, sometimes quite severe, and may even lead to organ failure. Some signs of dehydration include dry mouth, headache, dizziness, weakness, or being lightheaded. Because dehydration has been a cause of death among many infants and elderly, it is important to remember all of these symptoms.

. Unfortunately, studies have shown that the majority of individuals do not drink enough water in order to maintain a good and healthy life. Our bodies’ lose large amounts of water on a daily basis just in normal activities., , by just breathing, urinating, and sweating, our bodies lose most of the water it uses in order to keep functioning. This is why it is important to replenish your body by drinking beverages or eating foods that contain water. Also, not only does water help our bodies maintain a normal body temperature, it helps carry oxygen to our blood cells as well as removing wastes from our bodies. Since every system in our bodies depends on water, consuming the right amount will help keep us all healthy

As you have probably heard, many experts say one should consume eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day. Although this is a good estimate, the actual amount of water your body needs varies depending on the individual. Here are three aspects you should consider when figuring out how much water you should drink on a daily basis.
    1. Your weight.
    2. Physical activity (running, working out, or any activity).
    3. The climate you live in.

. If you do not consider yourself an active person, then 50 percent would be more in your range. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should drink at least 60 ounces of water each day. However, if you work out daily or you are involved in other activities then you should drink more towards 75 percent of your body weight. You will need more water to keep your body hydrated. Although it is important to keep your body hydrated while you are exercising, it is also important to drink a full glass after you work out. Also keep in mind how much you sweat. Obviously the more you sweat, the more water your body is releasing. If this is the case, make sure to drink enough so you will not become dehydrated. Weather conditions you live in should also be taken into consideration. If you live in a hot or dry climate then you should drink an additional 16 ounces everyday. It is always important to remember these three things when determining the amount of water you should to drink daily.

In order to give your body the nutrients it needs it is essential to ensure you drink enough water each day. Drinking it all at once is not necessarily a good idea though. When you wake up in the morning, fill up a glass. This will even help you come awake if you are not a morning person! Throughout the day continue to drink glasses of water, before and after meals. If you are someone who does not necessarily enjoy the taste of water, then try adding some lemon or another fruit juice to give it some flavor. Make it special by using a pretty glass, and adding ice cubes. Have a small dish of fruit with your water and it becomes a treat!
    Now, you can calculate the amount of water your body needs and begin living a healthy lifestyle!

(source Professor's House Reliable advice regarding home and family)

7. achu

achu Bronze IL'ite

Re: Easily said, but hard to be done!

hi malar,
    just came across this thread,th'ot i can share my "experience" with water...everyde,my first job after brushing ,is to take water [coffee n tea are a no! no! for me,since childhood!] when my hubby sits with his coffee in the morng-i sit with a bottle of water.....i feel drinking water from the bottle is more easier than from a glass, ur consumption wil b more.........i donno the reason behind it...so start with a 300 ml bottle,as des pass u can increase the quantity....to 1litre.
    then whenver i cook ,i keep a bottle of water near- by, n gulp it in b/n my work....[in small quantity]....if u like flavours [natural] u can boil water with jeera /cardamom -cool it n consume ....its a natural remedy for indigestion too. if available u can add 6-7 basil leaves to a jug of water -another boon fm mother earth<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.indusladies.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>;
    just keep a bottle of water beside u -even when u r watching tv or working with <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">ur</st1:City></st1:place> pc..and tk a sip often...
    if nothing works...do include fresh fruit juices [preferably without sugar] or the whole fruit as such.. ; lots of veggies like ashgourd, cucumber; which has more water content in them....
    try this out n lemme kno.........:wave

8. bipasha

bipasha Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    I was browsing through articles when I came across some good ones.Usually in Winter we tend to lessen the water intake due to cold weather.
    Healing Power of Water

The human body is composed of more than 75% of water and some body tissue consists of over 95% of water! That’s why it is so important that the water we consume for the proper functioning of our bodies is of the highest quality

What happens if we don’t drink enough water?
    An insufficient supply of water creates disturbances in the functioning of our bodies, has negative effects on our wellness and appearance, and accelerates the process of aging. Thickened blood does not circulate properly, and the body has difficulties expelling the toxic products of metabolic changes, which can cause gradual toxin build-up and other health problems such as: improper functioning of the nervous system, dehydration of organ tissue and disturbance of important physiological processes. Lack of water can cause even more serious consequences, including even death from poisoning of the body from the by-products of bodily food processing. Humans can survive without water for only three (3) to six (6) days.

Ayurvedic Theory
    Drinking hot water regularly is a classical Ayurvedic recommendation for balancing vata and kapha dosha, strengthening digestive power, and reducing metabolic waste (ama) that may have accumulated.

Try This!!!
    Boil a sufficient amount of unchlorinated tap water or (better still) mineral water in an open saucepan, for at least ten minutes. Keep this water in a thermos flask and take a few sips (or more, if you are thirsty) every half-hour throughout the day. It is the frequency rather than the quantity that is important here. To increase the positive effect you can add 1-2 slices of fresh ginger (or a pinch of ginger powder) to the water when boiling it.

I have read the above water therapy in 2-3 other books.It is really helpful in winters to prevent from cough and cold.I have started taking it since 2-3 days before going to bed and it feels good now.

Mix the following
    1 CupWater(Hot)
    1/2 tsp Ginger
    1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
    1 Tsp Honey
    Add ginger while boiling the water

Another one is about benefits of drinking clean water.

Clean Drinking Water is a Powerful Healing Substance!

Bipasha

9. shinystar1

shinystar1 New IL'ite

ya i also believe lemon helps a lot.