1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diarrhea, loss of appetite, irritability & cry at 7 months. What's it?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by raisin, May 8, 2014.

1. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

My lovely girl is a few days short of 7 months. Started crawling on her knees now, trying to sit.

We had to make a short trip a few days ago in this heat. From then, she started having loose motions 4-5 times a day. It wasn't watery. Two days ago, there was a rise in her body temperature though it was normal on the Thermometre. The smiles reduced and irritability peaked. Has only half of the feeds. We consulted a Paed who ordered a routine stool test which came out normal.

Not sure what to do. I don't see any teeth peaking in.

Have you experienced this?

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

raisin, I am not too sure either. I appeared like teething symptoms though, I know you checked but it sound like teething.
    My pead advised me (around that age) for teething drops (Camilia homeopathic) for pain and irritability.

3. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

The process of teething does not lead to loose motions in an infant , contrary to the popular belief.

Loose motions in a baby less than 4 years age is most commonly due to a virus called, 'rotavirus'. Now a days, a good vaccine is available for rotavirus diarrhoea. (it should never be given beyond 8 months age). Ask your Doctor about it.

Another possibility is, the baby's stools sometimes can be frequent, may be 6 to ten times a day, but not watery. It is difficult, even for your Paediatrician also, to categorically rule out infection as the reason for this non-watery, frequent semi-solid stools.

This frequent stools can also be due to a new food added to the baby's diet. (non-infective reason). If so, this frequent motion will become okay, within, maximum 24 hours.

If it lasts for more than 24 hours , then, it is likely a rotaviral diarrhoea.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Not to contradict you but what I was told by my doctor is that, teething process can lead to loose motions. Why? The kids around that time have an intense urge to bite/chew on anything and everything within reach to soothe the aching gums. Obviously, we may not be sanitizing everything the baby touches. that leads to loose moions.

Like I said, not to contradict you, but this was what I was told by my pead.

5. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Rakhii, sounds like teething. She was better from yesterday those there is motion thrice a day. No teeth as yet. Let me check out these homeo drops. My cousin advised homeo medicines until age 2 for teething.

Darmesh, can't be rotavirus as the vaccinations have been given and also the motion is not watery. In case of infection, her stool test should have revealed, right?

My Paed also told me loose motion is the primary symptom of teething. My MIL said it can turn in to greenish colour.