1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diaper changing help

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sujimallige, May 5, 2009.

1. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

My daughter is 6 mons now.She sits and crawls too.
    The main issue is her diaper changing time is a nightmare for me (and her too).As soon as i put her on the mat she rolls over and starts crawling away.It is a mess when she poops:bang.She was not like this before but has started doing this recently though she sits and crawls since a few weeks.
    How can i make her lay still when i change her diaper.I try to distract her with everything she likes,it used to work initially but since 2 days as soon as i lay her down she rolls over and crawls awayshakehead.Pls help..i am at my wits end Witsend

suji

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

For my kids,whenever I change diapers(especially when they poop),I take them to the bath tub or a sink,remove the diaper there and wash the area there itself,instead of wiping with wipes.This is more hygienic and prevents diaper rash too.This I have been doing from the time they were about 2-3 weeks old.Initially,it was difficult to hold them and wash too,but with practice,now it is easy.

After wash,I make them lie down and try putting a fresh diaper.Nowadays,my 14 1/2 mnth old hardly lies down,so I make him stand and put the diaper on.:thumbsup

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. amallela

amallela New IL'ite

What we do is we engage him with singing songs or talking to him cutely. Otherwise we hand over things that I find nearby the bed, like hte alarm clock or a lotion. He turns them around and looks at them and in that time we change his diaper. Then we tell him you are all set and he gets up. He now understand what a clock is and a lotion is etc..

4. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Thanks sunitha and amallela for the reply.
    Amallela,i used to do the same,talk to her,distract her with all sorts of things.It used to work but now as soon as i put her down within a sec she turns and is on her way.
    Sunitha,i shall try your method and see but for that i need to buy a mat for the tub floor.Shall let you know how it went.
    Thanks again girls.

suji

5. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Suji,

where do you change? You can try to get a changing table Since that is tight quarters she will not be able to crawl as opposed to changing on the floor.

6. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Suji,

Literally when reading your post i was getting my daughter in to the picture. Because she does the same, few days when i am in hurry i get little temper too.

As kids they don't even understand though if we raise our voice, now-a-days i try singing her favourite rhymes with facial expression, some time keep wipes box near her, as she like to watch baby picture in that box .

Inspite of all this few times she does the same.....:((

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Ohh..join the bandwagon:)
    I change her diaper in changing table. As Pavs has said since it is narrow they won't get much room to do their tricks. Plus distract them with new things; things that you won't give them normally.
    - Nitha