1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Romantic Disorders

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Elphaba, Jan 31, 2016.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Madam,
    I don't know your present avatar.wonderfully romantically executed piece of art -and not an ordinary snippet.For the past one week my computer has some romantic malady,.The monitor has so much fallen in love with index page and it stubbornly refuses to move.By chance it gave way, I happened to go thro the article thrice-we have to make hay while the sun shines.

Romance is all about hearts, flowers, and sappy mixtapes, right? Well, yeah. Today we use the word "romance" to refer to romantic love. But the term has quite a different meaning in literature.There are swords involved.In France romance was about chivalry also.There were warriors fighting with their lady love in their hearts and sword in their hands.

Sanskrit poems are full of such romance and romantic disorders.kalidasa's Shakunthalam and Meghadhutam contain many such verses.It is a beauty that many such Sanskrit works were written by sages of yore.

Tamil poetry is studded with gems of romantic love. The poetry focuses on this tenderest and most exciting of human emotions in a robust, earthly and realistic manner. Simultaneously, the poetry manages to scale spiritual heights and suggest the loftiest of passions, the human soul's eternal longing for union with God in love.
    Many ancient Tamil poems poems zero on the subtleties of 'love at first sight.

We can almost hear the words running through their minds: 'Without our mothers and fathers striving for our union, how is it that we have been brought together by a strange and wonderful destiny? How miraculous that we should feel such deep love for each other at once? Before it falls to the ground, the rain is colourless and the red earth is dry. The moment rain drenches the earth, however, the pallid rain crimsons gloriously, while the barren earth moistens and fructifies. How marvelous that we too have undergone such a metamorphosis and exchanged hearts and glances instantly?' This is the gist of the poem.

Spiritual love also is spoken of very highly in our country.Throughout the month of Margazhi we have been listening thro such verses composed by Andal and Manivachaka Peruman.The famous work'Geetha Govindam'or Ashtapadi by Jayadeva is out and out a romantic work, yet described as 'Antar bhakthi and bahir Shringar-Devotion in the guise of romance.

Padham, A dance form in Bharatha natyam fully deals with romantic malady.-stream of joy, mingled with shyness,amazing changes and also pangs of separation.Kamba Ramayanam also does not lack in such Romantic description while Rama ans Sita live in Panchavati.
    Bharathi's kuyil pattu is another example.

Romance is omnipresent and valentine business started very late.

Love birds these days jam skype and yahoo chat lines. Traffic jam online almost suffocates long distance lovers.How strong are the bonds of love when love is long distance? Personal communication is better, you get to meet your partner often, sneak a secret outing, a dinner and a movie. What about ISD? Bad if your mate comes on vacation once in a few months and worse if the frequency is yearly.

Worse is the case when one falls sick. A get well soon mail in the inbox which you can open after a week will taunt you. SMS frequencies of one an hour will trickle down to a Good morning darling and a Sweet dreams etc etc. You call him to say you have got a promotion and his voice inbox says for the thousandth time Hey! Am attending a meeting. Will get back to you shortly. What is the word'shortly'?-hours,days or months?

The bespectacled ordinary looking girl ,inexpressive of any emotions sitting opposite to your desk will now look a better choice to you!

I wonder how letters and mails can nurture a relationship. Love- long distance can work only if you communicate frequently, only if you are committed to the relationship, only if you put unwavering trust in your partner and only if you throw up ample surprises to stun your partner. There are so many ifs.

Against all these odds, there are few people who keep the light shining, the fire burning. Distance means so little when someone means so much! I am glad there are some who live life long distance. There are families where fathers hear their babies' first cries over ISD calls. There are sons who narrate their day in school to Dads on yahoo chats. There are wives who spend hours together trying to decipher the nuances of making internet calls to their husbands. Strong commitment and trust peppered with little surprises make these relationships click . Gen next has to learn relationships with renewed trust .

True love ever wins.

Jayasala 42

9 people like this.
  2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

@Elphaba

Thanks for the very nice snippet.
    Your way of writing will definitely show you off whatever avatar you take.

@Jayasala42

I could definitely relate to that very much. Thanks for the very nice response.

Regards,
    Vaidehi

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Elphaba, your magic wand has had quite an undesirable effect on my fingers and mind. Your new avatar has done the job only for more effect through your words. Now my mind refuses to think up a sensible reply, leaving my fingers jobless.

2 people like this.
  4. Elphaba

Elphaba New IL'ite

@Viswamitra,

'Like' for a recanted post?
    (Your action pending investigation)

1 person likes this.
  5. Elphaba

Elphaba New IL'ite

Server extremely slow, unable to reply to any posts. doh1
    Catch all later!

6. Elphaba

Elphaba New IL'ite

Skimmy all posts, have not reedy all posts yet.

7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hi TriniLebanese Friend,

It is very unfair to remove the splendid content of your post after I spent so much time reading line by line. There is no surrender button in IL and hence I pressed a like button. My better-half has taught me well over 32 years that when the time is ripe, I should stop arguing with women when I see the signs of victory of women in the letter and spirit.

What was I thinking when I wrote the conversation between Ms E and Mr V? Was it my naivety that made me write that post to an intellectually stimulated wonder in IL?

All I can say in response to your post is "Peace".

1 person likes this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Elphaba

I was waiting for my dear Anna (Cheeniya Sir) to give reply to mine and Viswa's nomination of your post. He has given a Superb reply as always. Jayakka's feedback is also super. I would have also nominated her feedback but as always I have finished my nominations already.

Some are romantic before marriage and some after marriage. In my case now in old age my husband has become very romantic , so I am enjoying my life more than what I enjoyed when I was newly married.:)

2 people like this.
  9. Elphaba

Elphaba New IL'ite

Having problems accessing the site (timeout and page hangs).
    Will try to respond tomorrow.

10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Nice avatar! But you still Elphie or just... 'Elf' now! ;-) :p

1 person likes this.