1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Diabetic DH - not following proper diet and exercise

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by milkyway, Jun 14, 2009.

1. milkyway

milkyway New IL'ite

Hi ,

I am currently facing a major issue . Dh has been diagonised with diabetes and high cholestrol and has been asked to follow strict diet and exercise atleast for 45 min by the doc. But he is not doing any of these except for the tablets which I take and give him. We dont have a kid yet and he is just 30 yrs. I am so worried about his condition. I try to tell him softly to change his pattern but he is very bad tempered and once i say anything he doubles his intake and says what is life if u dont eat well! I dont know how to handle this problem.He is not a kid but behaves like one.

Have any of u faced this problem and tried handling it.. pls share.

thanks,
    Anju

2. Ajith

Ajith Silver IL'ite

Your genuine concern for your hubby's health and your efforts to make him health conscious are commendable. Onset of diabetes at such an young age is a cause for concern but with proper diet and exercise it can be kept under control. I don't want to lecture about the diet since you already know about it.

Regarding exercise, the inertia (or the starting trouble) is high when it comes to starting new exercises. All you can do is to keep on reminding him about the benefits of regular exercise, he will start doing it one day. If he listens to his parents or siblings, ask them to advice him if you are in good terms with them.

Another tip is to find a like minded friend to exercise with him. I have seen people who are reluctant to exercise alone will consider if someone exercises along with them. It could be you or a friend.

Since he is fond of eating whatever he likes, emphasize that he can eat whatever he wants if he exercises regularly.

Good luck.

3. smilemoon

smilemoon Senior IL'ite

i face the same problem ... i also have a small kid... even then my dh does not listen to me nor his parents. when i telll him he will get heart problems he say he will get cos of me stopping him from eating....

only god should change their mind...#

4. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

but never lose hope and keep telling him softly about the impact (definitely not when he is eating). This will be registered in his subconscious mind and will bring change in him. Also keep a bowl of thinly sliced vegetable salads along with their favourite food and slowly bring in the change/habit. first few days keep just two or three pieces, slowly increase the quantity. put him on partially boiled vegetable soups along with his favourite food. Call them for a nice brisk walk along with you saying you enjoy their company while walking. love can change them if not immediately but surely in the near future. Best wishes.

5. Parasu

Parasu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Mira,

I Got 2 miscarriages and later i found that i got diabetics and right now it is high ..
    I want to be control .. and i want to know how u will prepare soup and salad ..
    Please help me to control my blood sugar and post ur receipe to me..

6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Parasu,

welcome to IL Health Forum. There are lot of discussion happened here on control of diabetes. You can also search in Nature cure forum where some ILites have shared their experience and tips to control it in natural way with home remedies. You can also refer the Index threads showing important threads in each section.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/nature-cure/124599-natural-home-remedies-for-diabetes-2.html

I prepare soups using beetroot, carrot, tomato, Ivy gourd, Cabbage, Green Peas, mixed vegetables too (beans, cauliflower etc), pumpkin, ashgourd (good for weightloss), Palak (spinach) by partially boiling them. Allow it to cool, grind along with water in a blender. heat it adding salt and pepper & consume. For additional flavouring, you can use chopped coriander leaves whilte grinding for tomato and mixed vegetable soups. Check with your dietician which are the vegetables you can consume and make soups using that.

Best wishes.