1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

dheerga sumangali bhava

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sathya, Oct 31, 2007.

1. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

dheerga sumangali bhava...!
    november mangayar malar carries a small clip by malathy chandrasekaran
    it is a normal practice in hindu households to send money to sisters. for any function. thats no news...it is quite common... but sisters calling over brothers and family for function and making yummies for eats is different...?
    yama and yamuna devi are brother and sister born of surya the sun god.
    they were very very affectionate to each other.
    yamuna devi once called yama over to her house for a feast. yama was very very happy to come and brought a whole lot of clothes, jewellery and sweetmeats with him.
    yamuna had prepared a grand feast all by herself and served it for yama with her own hands. yamas happiness knew no bounds. yama was very very happy to bless her ``dheerga sumangali bhava.''
    blessing her thus he had indirectly given a long life term to her husband..! so yamuna was very happy. the day is called yamathvithiya..(dont know if my transliteration is right)
    so brothers in the same town or city gets a gala feast, and sisters receive money and blessings...(indirectly from yama too..) so deepavali is more sacred to get a brother's blessings.

sathya

sindmani likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi satya,

Nice one..it is always the brother giving the sister that has been highlighted..nice to know about this...but in real life how many of them do...

3. vidyasundar

vidyasundar Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sathya,

I dont have any brother:-:)spin .......... yeah i know its too late to worry about it......:crazy

regards
    vidyasundar

4. balamotwani

balamotwani Bronze IL'ite

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi vidhya,

me too dont have a brother but veda has two sisters...you know where i am hinting...:tongue

6. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Me too joinig the gang without brothers.Brothers giving sisters a green saree or dress was a new practice a few years back. Hubby gave his sisters, i had to keep mum.
    Not many follow such practices, my personal opinion.

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sathya,
    My father has 2 sisters and he still practices that custom.
    Join me too in the group of 'having no brother'.
    but my cousin brothers were asked to continue that custom by giving some gifts on that day, by my Aunt and Uncles.
    as i am away from India, it is credited in the bank a/c of course.

sriniketan

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

i am lucky we have a brother, whom we can depend anytime for anything, he would never hesitate or deny us any thing that we ask for, even now though i am single again i am included in his giving a saree for navrathri with his other sisters...sunkan

9. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sathya
    We observe this for kathigai festival; on thiruvannamalai karthigai deepam; I cook really grand items among the speicialty includes Adai (yes its becoming a rarity ) for me and neyyappam; My brother and his family are invited and we all exchnage gifts. I thought all south indians did this on karthigai.

10. umasaras

umasaras Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    Its right , brothers give gifts for Karthikai and pongal and in our family we celebrate garuda panchami, it falls in the moth of AAdi (JUly-August) where we pray to nagar (Pampu puthu) for the well-being of brothers and give them money. It is practiced in my in-laws family and when I did this first time after marriage my brother was so happy .
    uma