Dhanu Masam- 12.17 Early Morning Prayer

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by sdiva20, Dec 17, 2015.

1. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi All- Tomorrow is the beginning of Dhanu Masam and I was thinking of getting up early (goal is 4.00AM) to bathe and do pooja and recite Vishnu Sahasranamam.

If anyone is interested please join me.

1 person likes this.

2. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

In Dhanurmasam, read tirupavai :)

2 people like this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

While Dhanurmasam is holy across the country, not everyone reads Tiruppavai! I doubt if it is read outside Tamil Nadu and/or by the Srivaishnava community outside TN.

@sdiva20, laudable effort. Does chanting by DH count? :)

1 person likes this.
  4. ivlakshmi

We are sri vaishnavas from Andhra..Touch wood it is read by almost every one
    here.. There are also many non brahmins who taken up vaishnavism from chinna jeeyar swamiji read it as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Yes I know Tiruppavai is read but I don't know that so sticking to what I know. Plus I love chanting Vishnu Sahasranamam :)

1 person likes this.
  6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

@butterflyice- Trying.....Getting up that early is a challenge so I am hoping I can do it successfully. But that time of morning is so peaceful......the only hard part is going to bed early and getting out of bed at that time.

Of course chanting by DH counts :).....

1 person likes this.
  7. butterflyice

Its the same thing, no? The key is Chinna jeeyar Swamiji who is conversant with Tamil.

Anyway my point is that VIshnu sahasranamam has universal appeal due to its availability in many languages. Also Andal is someone who is revered by the Srivaishnavas alone. I am Vaishnava, I know Andal only because of school history. If you talked to my fairly religious family above Andal they would go whaatsmiley whaatsmiley

PS: No disrespect intended, just trying to say what works for one wouldnt work for another.

8. butterflyice

Totally with you on that. 4am is indeed a heavenly time. Its hard to wake up that early because I sleep so late.

So DH chanting for today done. He does the Sahasranamam among other things :)

9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

Day two complete. Getting up early during weekend will be challenge. @ buterflyice- I too struggle to go to be early. Trying to make it by 10.30 latest.

Does anyone now that all prayers have to be completed hour and half before sunrise?

10. ivlakshmi

Yeah Vishnu sahasranamam is read by many people. Since there is no time constraint , vishnu sahasranamam can be read anytime.

Yes Tirupavai is read by sri vaishnavas alone but yes now a days many are reading it.
    I usually can not get up too early due to office work. Reading tirupavai in this month has great significance. Hence I read it little late.

1 person likes this.