Dh Has Zero Sperm Count

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by sammygirl723, Dec 9, 2016.

1. sammygirl723

sammygirl723 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I have been struggling with this issue for a long time and the need for secrecy but I can't contain it anymore. I have tried telling family members but there is so much stigma attached with male impotency that I could not bring myself to be completely true.

I married for love and DH is the best thing that happened to me. He is loving and kind and takes good care of me. I love him a lot and want to spend the rest of our lives together. But it is getting so difficult as time passes and people raise questions as to why we are unable to conceive. Complete strangers ask me pointed questions as to what is wrong with us and give us lectures on why we should have kids. I sit patiently and hear them all out as I cannot disclose the actual reason. We are trying for infertility treatments but deep down there is a hesitation that the child will not be his. Will that affect our future relationship?

This secret is killing me. I have no support from anyone as I cannot tell anyone about it.

Has anyone else gone through the same experience? Please help me in this time of need.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Not gone through same experience, but we didn't have kids for long time and faced so much because of this. and we went through lot of treatments too. Based on that I want to tell this:

Explore all options with doctors/urologist how much % of success rate to have a kid with your H sperm? and what treatment he has to undergo etc.

If with your H sperm, it is not possible, what your H want to do? Is he willing to go for sperm donor option? You also fine with that? do you both think that you can do that. You both have to discuss and decide. I don't think it affects your relation badly, but goes strong if both look at it mature way. If your H doesn't agree with full heart then problem would come. You both want a baby, using the sources available, you are having one and want to make part of your lives and enjoy that joy.

You both agree for that and you have to keep that secret to relatives etc, sharing with parents OK, based on their maturity levels. Also it is good to have anonymous donor to avoid complexity in future.

3. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

My hugs to you.Many women do not have a loving and understanding husband and go through a lot of hardships in life.Not all doors are open for everyone.Count your blessing.If you do not want to go for a donor sperm,discuss about adopting a baby.EVen if you decide to go for donor sperm,you and your husband are going to bring up the baby.The kid's personality and character will be influenced by both of you.So proceed whole heartedly.All the best

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Search in this forum. There was a poster from a few years ago in the same situation. They had a baby through IVF. I don't remember the username though.

5. sammygirl723

Thank you KashmirFlower, JGVR and MalStrom for your support.
    I spoke with DH and we had a long discussion about the pros and cons of DS IUI and he was open to it. Actually the pressure to have kids is so huge right now that we just want to exhaust all the options before going to adoption. My doctor has asked me to have patience as treatments take a very long time.
    It is very depressing. I never imagined my life would me in the throes of this situation. Sometimes the feeling to just leave everything and run away is so overwhelming. I don't know if I can go through with this stigma of not having kids while living in a joint family. I think I will give this a try for a couple of years and if unsuccessful, I might even consider moving away even if it means separation from DH. He won't like it but I just can't bear it anymore.

6. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Looks like your in-laws asking and pressurizing you for kid is the bigger problem than the actual problem.
    1. Is it possible for you and your H to move away from joint family set up at this time and continue with your treatments. I think you should tell your H that at this high stressful times you want to be just with him giving strength to each other. And can't bear in joint family for few years,

2. Why can't he talk openly with his parents about the situation and about treatments, without even involving you when he talks, he can say that don't pressurize her, i have some issue, please understand and baby when happens when times comes. why he is silent and making you to go through this pressure.

one of the above options if your H does you can escape from this stress. If you want to do separation after baring this all for next few years, isn't it better for you and H to live together out of joint family now and save yourself from all that stress.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  7. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

First, I am sorry to hear that both of you are dealing with an unexpected disappointment.

Pressure from where? If it is pressure from within your both selves, the longing to have a child in your life, then there will be one way to deal with it.

Pressure from joint family? Please do not make life-altering decisions because of this. It is your life first, next your husband's life, finally both your life together. Decisions such as education, marriage, children, career are life-altering decisions. It is very very difficult to impossible to reverse one's footsteps in these decisions so make sure you make them with a clear head and "your head" - not someone else's head. Whatever advise people give is from their background, their perspective, their times and their situation. I am not outright writing off another person's wisdom - listen to it, absorb what you can, apply where possible, but ultimately the choice in such major decisions must be yours. If it works in your favor, you will feel good about it. If it does not work in your favor - then also you will have the satisfaction of owning that choice and not spending rest of your life cursing or blaming someone else for that choice that was thrusted upon you.

alady2018 and nakshatra1 like this.
  8. chocogal26

chocogal26 Platinum IL'ite

Hi sammygirl....how old are you n your husband ? Hows your se_ life ?
    There is a cure....last month i went to patanjali baba Ramdev's yoga center....there was 2 couples both having fertility problem....doctor told them you will never have your child. but after doing pranayam they are perfectly cure.
    Take care of his diet.

Ask him to do "KAPALBHATI PRANAYAM" it does wonder in our body.
    Trust HIM. HE will give our body new energy and new life.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  9. sammygirl723

Hi Kashmir Flower,
    DH and I were working in a different city after marriage and moved in with our in-laws because of some family issues and DH is now taking care of the family business. So moving away is not an option. DH says he can't leave his parents at their age. It is his duty to take care of them. I do admire DH for his sentiments but the family situation does take a toll on me.

The in-laws are very liberal and open minded but still traditional. It is a typical Indian Marwari family. If I tell them DH cannot have kids, they might not be able to accept any future progeny. But there is so much pressure from relatives and friends and family and they all come and ask me when am I going to bear a child. The in-laws are getting old. They should be able to play with grandkids before it's too late. What can I say? I just keep quiet and listen but it is like a stick hitting my heart every time.

Even DH said he has had enough of the pressure. Now he just wants to go through fertility treatment not for the joy of having a kid but to just get over with it.

10. sammygirl723

Thank you aamrapali. That is a very mature way of thinking. I will try to follow it.