1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DH got job offer in abroad,Inlaws want to live with me to support me!?! pls advice

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by cutesmile09, Jan 19, 2015.

1. cutesmile09

cutesmile09 Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am married for nearly 8yrs,blessed with loving DH & beautiful angel as DD(20months old), I live in a nuclear family set up, my mom n Brothers family stay near to my place, my inlaws live with my BIL's family to support them physically(taking care of household chores n kids), they come to live with us for few months in a year, I had terrible experiences living with them, though I treat them very we'll n never ask them to help in daily chores, they still create lot of drama, I think they take advantage of my n my DH soft nature, Bil n co-sis r very cunning n manipulative, all in all my DH has asked me to stop speaking to them except on important occasions( my DH knew how much they tortured me verbally).

Now the problem is my DH is getting Job offers abroad,initially he wants to go alone he wants us to move there after few months once he settles down for which I am completely fine, I can stay alone n manage my Home,my Mom n brother stay nearby,I will rely on them only incase of emergencies but my DH wants my inlaws to stay with me for which I am totally against as they will make my life miserable, how can I convey the same to DH n inlaws politely but firmly, Pls suggest

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Re: DH got job offer in abroad,Inlaws want to live with me to support me!?! pls advic

Tell him that you appreciate that he cares for you so much that he would like to make arrangements that you are comfortable. But that you would prefer not have anyone living in the house as you are completely capable of running the house without external help.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: DH got job offer in abroad,Inlaws want to live with me to support me!?! pls advic

Your DH knows the history but is suggesting they come and live with you. So conveying your opposition to him politely and firmly will not help.

He probably is concerned that you will not be able to manage by yourself. He will have some peace of mind when abroad if he knows you are not alone with the kid.

Why is he not thinking about the drama that will enter your house and life? Maybe because he thinks the support they provide will be worth the drama they will also bring.

So, for him you being alone is the prime factor. For you, your in-laws bringing drama and making your life hell is the prime factor.

Talking to him politely and firmly will not help. You have quit your career to take care of child, so you cannot even escape during the day. You will have to be blunt and tell husband that you living with in-laws when he is not around is just impossible. Make that clear to him and all.

Your husband wants in-laws to live with you because he is going to be abroad. Keep your argument simple. Insist that your in-laws cannot live with you because your husband will not be in the house.

The reason you give for opposing the idea should be one that cannot be overcome.

To answer your question, no, there is no way to win this battle without being blunt and putting your foot down.

One last thing, do not mention your parents and bro being nearby too many times.

1 person likes this.
  4. Reesha

Reesha Silver IL'ite

what about option of you will stay with your parents instead of staying alone?
    or else
    what about your parents will stay along with you so you can avoid In-laws.

just play a fake game with Dh that, your parents will be coming for you to help. let your parents/ your mother/ your father come to your home & stay until your DH leaving.(tell him they will stay until he is coming back). let him leave to abroad. just after 1/2 weeks, your parents can goto your brother house for some reason. so you can mange home alone.

when ever your In-laws are trying to come to your home with reason of help, tell them" my dad/mom coming tomorrow. so no need.". as much as possible make drama with DH & PIL that you are not alone even you are alone.

5. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi cutesmile,

Considering only the practical issues and your DH's concern for you and your kid.

If you are sure that you can manage by yourself then you need to prove that to your DH. How secure is your residence? Do you have 24hr security? Look at these aspects and make any changes in that regard. You can install door phones etc or any such devices as needed. Talk to your neighbours so they too are aware that your DH is away.

If you are confident then you can convince your DH too. Good luck.

6. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Dear op,

You could suggest your mom/both mom&dad to sleep in your home for nights.This could be more helpful than having your inlaws.

1 person likes this.
  7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

One thing that came to my mind. Why not leave all together? When we moved overseas (my DH got an offer) we went all together, we lived for the first weeks in a temporary place. My DH started to work at once but I had then the time to do house hunting, clarifying the childrens school and setting up the new home. I started working three months after we have moved. It was actually a good set up as my DH could focus on his work and we had an adventure with the kids figuring out to set up our home and other praciticalities.

As you have only one small child (not in school yet) you can live for a few weeks in some temp arrangements (hotel or similar). You can roam around then to find the perfect place to live in, explore the grocery stores, play grounds, make your mistakes when cooking with foreign ingredients/utensils.

1 person likes this.
  8. cutesmile09

Thank you each of one of you for all your wise replies.. I forgot to mention in my first thread that I was in similar situation immediately after 2months of my marriage, my DH went abroad n I chose to live with my inlaws at our own flat, my parents also lived in the same city but at a distance of 25kms, at tht time as I was new bride I didn't know the PILs can make my life hell, our biggest mistake was to inform about our career plans in advance to my PILs n BIL,immediately my BIL made my co-sis stay at my place for delivery as they will get all facilities at free of cost, she had Seemantham at my place, delivered baby boy, had naming ceremony,my co-sis family stayed for more than a month at our place n even abused me, I was working at tht time, I was very busy with my Job n didn't had a clue of what's happening around me,even I lost one pearl set also my parents visited only for 2days in the whole 5months duration of my stay with my inlaws , I lost my Dad after 2yrs of all this happenend.

Moreover my inlaws has careless attitude n r very unhygenic for example my FIL is a chain smoker n he hardly wash his hands before lifting my DD( we both literally have to shout at top of our voice for this) for this both my PILs create a drama, my FIL smokes even during night times for this he will go out n one fine day he forgot to lock the door, I somehow woke up tht night to have some water then I noticed the door was open widely, tht night I had shock of my life, next morning when I confronted him he tole me very casually tht he forgot(tht was a reckless answer),like this so any issues,so I decided this time I will not repeat my past mistakes..

my flat is in a gated community so security n facilities no issues, my DD goes to nearby play school it is in walkable distance but we hired school van for safety issues,groceries, bills n medical,everything I manage now so no issues,in case of emergency my mom(dad is no more) bro n family will support me(no doubt abt it), inlaws could n live with me for few weeks but not for the entire duration. I agree tht these sugar-coated talks won't help me to deal with my inlaws, they make your bp levels raised to the extent of being blunt, but somehow I can't be so with elders( that's why they take me for granted)

My DH knew also this that's why he is not even informing them about our plans in advance but I think he feels helpless if they say tht they will come to stay with me to support me, How do you think he can/ I can answer them?

9. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Thank him for his concern and tell him you will surely call his parents and take their help if you need it and if you are unable to manage yourself.
    My guess is that his parents are putting pressure on him and that's the reason he wants them to live with you. If he has to tell them no, he also has to give them a reason. Think of something. A simple no thanks probably wont work.

10. cutesmile09

I am used to staying alone at abroad at night times when my DH was away due to work reasons even now I stay at times alone with my DD, Me n my DH believe tht we shdn't disturb other's daily routine just for us n vice-versa, my mom too stayed alone for 2years after my Dad passed away, now my bro n his family stay with her..