1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

developmental games and toys for infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by waitingForTej, Mar 6, 2010.

1. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Dear ladies,

I would love it if you could share the different toys you've bought for your young infant (4-4 months) that they found to be entertaining and fun. ALso do you have any ideas for simple games we could plan to keep them lively? At the same time encourage development like reaching out to things, grasp, smiling, responding, etc.

I found this fisher price link interesting- Fisher-Price - MYFP - Landing Page

Haven't tried any of it yet, but hope to do so... Please pour in with your experiences

Thanks

wft

2. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for starting this thread WFT.

we bought Stack n Surprise Blocks Peek-a-Boo Choo-Choo - Fisher Price Toys for my daughter.

She likes those blocks.

when i do pica boo shifting sides , now she started watching next side immediately after i disappear and laughs so loudly when she finds me there.

she loves holding my thalli and pulling and playing with it.

when she was 100 days old i bought book for her and started reading it. She loves that book now. big big colourful pictures A, B, C .. book. with touch and feel option.

she has a cat soft toy from her aunt which she loves.

play area also she likes pulling and playing but not for very long time. she gets bored.

Hoping to see more options :) from all moms

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

WFT,

Don't want to put a damper but in my opinion under 6 months don't need very many toys. Once they are more mobile it is a different story but even then babies are very interested and curious to explore many things, not just toys. My 1 year old does not want any of his baby toys but wants to play with the exact same car that my 4.5 year old plays with...

For under 6 months, rattles and mobiles and teethers are good. Once they are bigger, stacking toys and anything that has colors and sounds will be fun for them. Board books, wooden puzzles etc are also good.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yup second sindhu here, our baby enjoys her mobile, playmat, teethers...rattles... i read her books with colorful big pictures... newspapers, magazines....

there was a site that i mentioned earlier...
    we do these developmental games everyday with DD

Brain Builders: 3-month-old | Articles | Babies Today
    find the one right for your baby's age

5. sanabijay

sanabijay New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I think more than buying toys this is the time mother can play with the kids.Whatever household articles which are not dangerous can be given.They will be enjoying and exploring it.You can buy spongy balls,bottles,old colourful books .
    MOTHER IS THE FIRST AND THE FOREMOST TEACHER OF A CHILD
    sana

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

WFT, I stay clear of toys for the simple reason that there are way too many recalls, but nothing replaces their convenience. I did a lot of toys with stuff around the house. Till DS was 6 months old, we had brightly coloured streamers in his room. I stitched satin ribbons to soft balls that helps them learn to grasp things. We made rattles with food grade transparent plastic boxes that is fist sized for an infant and filling them with various beans.

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Now that I stopped pumping, I have converted all my Medela storage bottles into rattles by filling rice, toor daal etc :)

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ahahhahaha sindhu, LOL thats such a good idea!

9. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

The first 5 months DS played with play mat and rattles. When he was 5.5 months old, I got an exersaucer (jumperoo). Since he started crawling, I could put him in the jumperoo and finish my cooking quickly. Now he enjoys playing in it. But the max. he stays in it is 20 mins. after that he wants to get out of it. Now @ 7 months more than toys, he loves cell phones, laptop, remotes and to chew on wires!!!

I have been playing peekaboo, read books, tell rhymes, tickle him on his tummy, take him for a walk and basically talk to him most of the time until I am exhausted!!

Now DS wants to touch and feel everything. So I let him do that and so does DH..

10. lucky7

lucky7 New IL'ite