1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Determination in reverse

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by BeeAmma, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Padmasrinivas

Padmasrinivas Silver IL'ite

Dear BA,

A very interesting perspective of determination in reverse...
    I recall the many stereotyped movie scenes of the 'penn paarkum padalam' (bride-viewing sequence) where the protagonist is in love with someone (so what else is new?!) so she tries many tricks like looking cross-eyed or spilling the coffee or acting like a lunatic to drive away the 'boy'!

My cousin was not really interested in music but had it thrust down her throat from when she was seven, her grandmom was a real martinet and no amount of determination in reverse would have worked. Well, she moved abroad after her marriage and found that carnatic music teachers were sought-after there, perfected her musical knowledge and is now a well-known teacher... so a lot of good came of it anyway!

Good post, BA... looking forward to more...

Love,
    Padma

2. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear BeeAmma

Wonderful post. Your father seems to have lot of patience. In the beginning we dont realise the importance but later only we realise.

Me and my sister also learnt music when we were young. But by the time we could learn fully our music teacher went to get married and did not come back.

love
    viji

3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Padma aunty:
    Thanks for the feedback. One of my cousins went to a music teacher just to learn 1 song for the 'pen parkarra' ceremony:). Pragmatic, right!

Viji Aunty:
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, once we become parents, we appreciate our parents even more:).

4. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Bee Amma

What a sweet post! Your father was really keen on getting you hooked onto Violin isn't it? And oh I remember the situation when parents make us sing in front of others. It has happened so many times to me. Now please don't think that I know music. Well, I did learn for a verrrrrrrry short duration. That was enough for mum/dad to think that their daughter was going to be one mega hit later in life and was introducing me to everybody who visited (relatives of course). Luckily I do have a decent set of ears to enjoy music and possibly by some mistake a music gene or two from my dad's side did end up in me and I was not a bad singer, lets put it that way. During school days I used to compete with a class mate of mine. He was pretty good actually and music teacher also felt that I was good. But I never took it up seriously. Sometimes do feel bad for neglecting. After these many years when our school had the old students and teachers get together, my music teacher apparantly enquired about me and wondered if I have taken singing seriously!!!! I was speechless when I heard that. But yes thx to the accidental gene that I enjoy various kinds presently but have never tried killing hubby with my voice :). Sorry this has become more of a feedback on me. I will be interested to see what Little Bee decides to pick!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010