1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Details about Oraxin syrup

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Asr4, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Asr4

Asr4 New IL'ite

Hi All,

As my daughter is underweight and has loss of appetite, the doctor suggested Oraxin syrup for her. Can you please let me know if anyone has used this before and its results?

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sorry no input on the medication. But curious to know if the medication is for increasing hunger. How old is your daughter?

My daughter was underweight . She started gaining good weight only when she was around 20 months old. My MIL/DH wanted me to ask the doctor for medication to improve her appetite. But I was not interested. I just changed her eating pattern (after visits to the endocrinologist, nutrionist, series of blood tests). Though the method took some time, I feel it worked out well.

3. ann0123

ann0123 Senior IL'ite

Oraxin is a sedative drug which increase your child’s appetite, and thus growth, but it has lots of side effects.

The common side effects are:
    fatigue, chills, headache, wheezing, urinary difficulties, jaundice, anemia, low blood pressure, palpitations, shock, blurred vision, vertigo, ringing in the ears, confusion, disturbed coordination, nervousness, irritability, numbness, and hallucinations. Overdosage, especially in young children, may produce central nervous system depression, convulsions, and even death.

Of course, most children will experience none of these side effects. Keep in mind, again, that different countries have different standards for drug testing, safety, and manufacturing.

The main active ingredient of Oraxin is cyproheptadine HCl. It is a potent sedative, antihistamine, and antiserotonin drug. In the United States, cyproheptadine HCl is approved to use for allergies. Some physicians use it as an appetite suppressant.

Cyproheptadine HCl is primarily given for allergies. Some people take it for clearing runny noses, some for hives, and some for more serious allergies. One of the side effects noted by people taking this, and similar medicines for allergies, is increased appetite and weight gain. This led to the practice of giving the drug to those who want increased appetite and weight gain. Thus, one person’s side effect may be someone else’s desired effect.

source: www.drgreene.com/qa-articles/oraxin-usage-children/

So, keep in mind these things before taking the drug....

Hope this helps....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The composition for Oraxin in India is different. In India it is primarily given for increasing appetite and the side effects are also different. (Source: My sis who is a doctor)

In US by law we are expected to know the side effects for any drugs we consume. This has its pros and cons. Reading the side effects might scare you. Discuss the side effects with your doctor. Trust your judgement and doctors advice to take an informed decision.

1 person likes this.