1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Detachment - essential in today's world?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ShrutiB, Jul 29, 2012.

1. ShrutiB

ShrutiB Silver IL'ite

Finest Blog - First Weekly Pick of August 2012

Work, family, relatives, in-laws, friends, domestic help and the other people we meet in everyday life. At least once I would have reacted to each of these categories of people with a retort or felt sad, hurt and even unappreciated.:bonk

If the way you are treated saps the energy out of you and drives you into depression, its just not worth it. :notthatway:
    The most common advice - be detached and unaffected.

But hey, is it that easy? Detachment is like yoga, it takes time, gradual healing but once mastered it is a treatment for the soul and mind as no other.

There are two types of detachment, broadly speaking. One is to give a deaf ear to all that can hurt you or arouse anger. This is not a long term healing but can be self-destructive at times as the mind goes into denial mode than detachment. The second approach is that of mental assertiveness. This means to be fully aware of the situation, the people involved, the manipulativeness, and the consequence of your reaction and then dealing with the situation at hand.

The idiosyncracies and the manipulative people around you whom you cannot kick out physically, whom you must bear with can really make you feel helpless. You can turn the tables around by refusing to be affected by such negative emotions. Practice a few times and they will automatically retract.:iagree

I remember my ex-director advising me "There is no game that two cannot play at". And you can be a sure winner if you play with righteousness and justice. She would say her husband, a GM in a global pharma company, often disarms his rivals/contemporaries' baseless insinuations with a cool smile and a logical solution to the problem at hand.

The Bhagvad Gita preaches this quality of detachment in more than one verse.

Truly an art essential for living. :thumbsup

2. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

Hello shruti,

It is true that Bhagvad Gita's message is to stay detached with outside world regardless doing all required karma toward family,society and world.This is only possible for us to get to that level if we are attached to HIM.If we love HIM unconditionally then we will be blessed by HIM to experience the divine pleasure.I strongly believe that our continuous efforts will make our path easier thought they would be our baby steps.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Shruti,

Thank you for your wonderful blog. The attachment started at our mind and therefore any solution can be arrived at only by altering our thoughts that create such attachments. Mostly our desire for something and when we have it, our deep sense of ownership to such things or persons causes attachments that last forever. We don't get attached to something we don't have. Therefore, I believe one way to lead an ideal and purposeful life without attachments is to consider ourselves as a Trustee of everything we have and drop the sense of ownership. If we drop the sense of ownership to our thoughts, we will never be hurt by the words of people around us. If If we drop the sense of ownership to our actions, we will never be affected by the comments of people on our actions. If we consider our closest family consist of spouse, children, inlaws, parents and friends as gift given to us for a temporary period, their lack of love or divided loyalty will never affect our mind.

Our journey is inside of us towards our higher consciousness and we do that over many lives. Each life is only for a period unknown to us. Why assume that we are here to stay forever and get attached to everything around us?

Viswa

4. ShrutiB

ShrutiB Silver IL'ite

Dear Viswa,
    Thanks for your wonderful words. But such level of spirituality needs a lot of time for oneself, time to discover oneself within. Unfortunately for most of us, we are so bogged down by the routine mundane mechanical daily life that time management takes precedence over any other aspect. At the end of the day, one just wants to hit the bed.
    There comes a time when we hit the roof and say."I think enough is enough. I have a right to be happy and to spread happiness. And God help me, I can and I will." This is when the spiritual journey begins.
    Regards,
    Shruti

5. nadathur

nadathur Silver IL'ite

I used to get numerous complaints everyday (each of different nature) while working in the airlines. The above approach of cool smile, cup of coffee used to help me approach the the problem in logical sense.

Regards
    Kumar Ramabhadran ("nadathur"

6. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Thats a cool way of presenting an important thing, ShrutiB. Definitely deserved the prize. And sorry for the late response. -rgs

7. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

hi shruti,

Very well written............. Unfortunately many are scared of the word
    'detachment' for the fear of losing their comfortable lifestyle,money power etc.
    Enjoyed reading your blog and congrats for the first weekly pick.

8. TwinkyPinky

TwinkyPinky New IL'ite

very well expressed .... Kudos

9. enlightened

enlightened Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shruthi,
    Very aptly said..extremely well written blog...true that detachment brings about mental peace and tranquillity.But it is extremely tough to achieve.One has to have great determination and mental prowess to achieve the same.This requires many years of meditation and practice to 'let it go'...My MIL has religiously attained this level of spirituality....ita a penance that must be relentless...Thanks for this womderful blog..

10. ShrutiB

ShrutiB Silver IL'ite

Thanks Nandini