1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Desires!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Pallavi, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Pallavi

Pallavi New IL'ite

Hi I am pallavi;new to this forum. Have been reading many posts here and enjoying them too. This piece i wrote recently. Just want to share it with all friends here. Read on and feel free to comment!

Desires

One thing we all desire to fulfill is to fulfill all our desires. Sounds funny?? But that is the truth of being a human!! (I don’t really know what other animals on earth have to say in this regard!!!!). When desires are not fulfilled, if we are kids we end up squealing and rolling on the floor. If we are wives we keep on nagging till our Dear Husbands do the needful. If we are MEN, then we keep aiming at the dart till we get it and then EUREKA!!! We are satisfied! But, it is not long before we start on a fresh bargain. The eddy of desire is so deep and such a snare, that the course of its satiation has given way to the diverse human activity through out the globe.

The human race seems to have been created by GOD for a completion of his long-due project named “Desire and its repercussions”. Economists have always described want as being unlimited. If we have some, we WANT more. But the level of satisfaction we get with the fulfillment of each want decreases. Lo!! Then why do not our desires decrease??

I resolve myself everyday “I am happy with what I have!! Some earthlings don’t have even as much as I do! So I have to stop being greedy and desiring for more and more” Well, mine is a classic resolution “resolved to dissolve!!” Once my hubby returns home I charge to him hurling complaints one after the other!! “Why didn’t you call me today? You know how I love talking to you over phone (object of desire! – that is why the phone was invented: D)?” “Why did u not take me to the movie (another object of desire – Who the hell makes all these movies!!!)??” and the list goes on!!!

I am sure every one living in this haven called the earth lives with a desire every single moment.

Desire embellishes itself in various arty names and themes:

An Ambition – When a desire involves a long run, low achievable rate and a huge amount of hard work and passion. (An Indian software engineer’s desire to work in the US can be classified as an ambition)

A Want – A want may be a small desire which may recur several million times over the lifespan of a human – to cite an example here – Want for more and more potato chips!!!! A want may take several forms again – habit, addiction etcetera.

A Dream – An unachievable desire

There seem to be many more; but for once I have no DESIRE to run through them all!!

We seem to be ropewalking on the thin line that connects desire and the objects that satiate them. We are all wandering on this planet, spending half the time on understanding what we, and others around us really WANT and the other half: we spend that, on searching means to satisfy these ever hungry monsters called wants. But that is what is there to life I suppose!!

How I wish I could write more and more and polish my writing skills with every write up!! (There you go!! Another desire! Phew!)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Pallavi,

That was a good write p, so simple and funny at parts , but really tackling a profound subject"desire"....was a good one....i especially like those lines about asking the husband, why he never called...ha ha....i am suré we have all had that desire and of course oncethat gets fulfilled we go on to the next level....typically , take me out for a maybe James Bond movie....ha ha...could not help laughing ....but like you have aptly concluded, what is lIfe without Desires, hah!?
    Good thought and great desire to polish your writing skills.You are welcome to do so , and continue to write more such articles ....i am sure we will all enjoy them!

3. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Great Start, Pallavi !

Dear Pallavi,

Welcome to IndusLadies Community !

This Article on Desire, is a great start from you at IL....

Firstly, congrats for writing such a nice article !

Desire is something so inevitable to our life, its the fundamental aspect that leads us towards success. If we don't desire anything in life, we have no goal, no hard work and no success...

You have gone to the extent of classifying desires...good, you seem to have desired to explore Desire in its deep sense...(do I make any sense now ??:mrgreen: )

Great Going yaar, keep posting all your work on this site, it is nice to see people with flair for writing coming up..

Pallavi, just keep writing without giving up, am sure you will make yourself a better writer with every new aritcle that you venture...Even I try my hands of writing on and off, from expert advices from many fellow-mates and writers (like varalotti), have learnt the best way to improve ourselves at whatever we are best at, is to never give up what we are passionate about (impact on Warning bells thread on me!!?????!!! )

Finally, to add on to one more of your desire, since you desired to make friends, Lo and Behold ! you're a member of IL now ! :) By the way, what category of your desire does this enrollment into IL belong to ??

Way to go, have a great time at IndusLadies.

Love,
    Preethi

4. Pallavi

Pallavi New IL'ite

Thanks a ton friends!

Thanks sudha and preethi for ur appreciating words and encouragement. I am a working lady and came across this site while googlin. Though i dont have much leisurely time to hang around, i felt there could be no better platform to share views than this one!! Thanks IL for giving us such a lovely place to express ourselves!

Pallavi

5. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Dear pallavi,

Great article. Keep it up:clap . the way u describe desire to 3 catagory is great. Keep posting more.

6. Pallavi

Pallavi New IL'ite

Hi Cheer,

Thanks for ur sweet words of appreciation and encouragement!

7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Well Written, Pallavi!

Dear Pallavi,
    You may not be a writer by profession, (for that matter nor am I) but surely you are a writer by your passion (so am I) and your skills.
    Desire has been a subject of almost all the religions. The Gita says, sangaath sanjayathe kaama, kaamath krodho abijayathe.
    Thinking about things, people develop an attachment to them; attachment breeds desires, desires in turn give rise to anger (when they are blocked) and from that proceeds delusion and total loss.
    Buddha rooted his teachings on the concept of desire.
    regards,
    sridhar

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  8. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

very nice, Pallavi,

Dear Pallavi,
    Your post was very enjoyable and your classification of desires very simple but true. I laughed when you mentioned your desire to get a call and go to see the latest movie. How true!Keep us entertained.
    Regards,
    Meenu

9. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

Welcome!

Hi Pallavi,

Welcome to IL.

Now your desire of posting a Good thread in this forum is fulfilled. But our desire of reading such threads and welcoming the new comers like you will never end.

Your attempt to writing is really appreciated. Keep going with more thoughtful threads.

regards,

Vanaja

10. radha_chennai

radha_chennai New IL'ite

very impressive

hi pallavi,
    thats a very good article .hope i too can write such a great one.oops here i am wishing for the unattainable:oops:.I think women have more desires than men.Hope no feminist sees my posting here.
    radha