Desi Teams Vs. American (both In The Us)?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by Doc_mommy, May 10, 2022.

1. Doc_mommy

Doc_mommy New IL'ite

I am involved in a small startup outside of my regular job. In my day to day job, I work with a diverse group of Americans including people who immigrated from different countries. The startup, however, is an all-desi team. It is a very unique environment for me as I am not used to this.

I am already feeling like a misfit because of the culture shock. There is a lot of personal stuff that gets discussed in a professional setting. Not to speak of the political incorrectness. Can't put a finger on it but sense some misogyny as well. I am typically thick-skinned when it comes to work, so I don't take offense at anything. But still, I can't help feeling like there is something amiss here.

Any tips from those who have been in this type of situation and worked with teams that are mostly desi? What is your take on desi teams vs. American teams if both companies are based in the US?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The startup is a parttime or side gig for you? The regular employees at the startup might resent or envy you due to this.

3. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

These behaviors are not condoned in India and unfortunately this has made people to continue with these kind of behavior without even having any remorse, if you want to continue in this environment speak to the person who is leading the offshore team and make it clear that you don’t like to work in this environment and hopefully there will be some changes.

lakshmi888 likes this.