Depression - myth, reality, or a little of both?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Awww, Sparkle! Please don't apologize. We all do get carried away with intense topics such as these. I come from a family where MH issues have been a way of life and people like you being in India and working towards something better actually makes me feel good. You know, I always have been the quitter and runner(literally and figuratively). The first sign of trouble and I'm out the door. You raised such a valid point. Staying and working within the constraints of what you have - something that I can never do. I truly admire your grit and determination. I hope we can continue supporting each other, albeit virtually.

Now coming to the point of MH issues and doctors, it's a hard thing to decide of medical professionals are right or you are right or if it's something in between. {{{{ @Rihana - kitna threads start karogi? I understand the mod enthu but humko thoda break do yaar....}}}}}
    I've known people who have been diagnosed with one ailment and treated for it for close to a decade before another doc figures out it's something else entirely.
    Plus with all the spectrum disorders - it's so hard to decide where one falls within the spectrum. Even docs don't get all that right the first time.

And in my personal experience, no two docs agree on dx of ailments that cannot be tested for with some sort of test. Why do Neurologists and GPs hate psychologists, psychiatrists and other behavioral docs? They are supposed to work as team but they make the patients and parents run in circles. The minute you mention the other doc, the neurologist will tell you "That guy, he always finds problem even with seemingly healthy people. I don't trust him.". Then the battery of tests start again and finally the neurologist says "oh yeah, maybe the other guy was right after all"! During all this, the actual sufferer and families often question themselves. They wonder if they are making mountains out of molehills. It's such a hard process and the diagnosis is often the beginning, not the end. Nothing with MH issues is easy. The changing pace of medicine dictates these people stay on top of the research. A routine of meds alone are now being replaced with CBT, NFB and other therapies in conjunction with meds and exercises. Patients have to take responsibility for their own health. They have to self advocate and stay empowered. On top of all of this, there are people who claim people get depressed because of attention seeking behaviors. Now the actual sufferers have to deal with that too.

Sometimes when a person has been diagnosed with one thing, it doesn't stop there. There are conditions that co-exist, that overlay one another and it's complex and hard to treat and sometimes other things start popping up. It's a maze. It's managed with therapies and treatments. For most, it never completely goes away.

Typing this itself is so hard, I think we need to support people who are there, dealing with it day in and day out.

Sparkle, vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Good time to mention - I desisted from responding to "it's a myth that the education system is better in the US and there is no stress on academics or pressure. " - solely to give you a break. : )

Laks09 and vaidehi71 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

PepperPot had shared this in another thread - an article by Susan Williams, wife of Robin Williams.

The terrorist inside my husband's brain

A causal search showed that Lewy body disease has links to apathy, depression, cognitive impairment and dementia. Sad that the article didn't get enough coverage, maybe due to the election hogging news.

On a lighter note, before I saw the article and its author, I thought it was by an Indian DIL about her MIL. : )

KashmirFlower, Laks09 and vaidehi71 like this.