Deogarh - Baba Baidyanath

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by JoyshreeGupta, Jul 2, 2009.

1. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

The Baba Baidynath temple situated in the Deogarh District of Jharkhand is one of the twelve Jyotirlings. An estimated 40-50 lakhs of devotees visit the temple every year during the month of Shravan.
    Shravan is the time for worship of Lord Shiva. Yet, the worship of Baba Baidyanath during Shravan has its unique significance. It is said that Lord Ram had brought ganga jal in a kanwar from Sultanganj and worshipped Baba Baidyanath. The Shravan Mela which is held during the month of Shravan is said to be one of the biggest fairs in India.
    There is an interesting story behind the ritual of pouring ganga jal on Shivlings during Shravan. Do you know what it is?
    :idea

2. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Joyshree
    I know the story. Its said that the Sagar- Manthan or churning of the ocean took place during the month of Shravan. A lot of venom was generated which threatened to vipe out humanity from the face of the earth. The devtas looked to Lord Shiva for help. Lord Shiva then drank up the whole poison but kept it suspended in his throat. His throat then turned blue due to the poison and Lord Shiva began to be called as Neelkanth Mahadev.

To ease his discomfort, all the devtas then started pouring ganga jal on Lord Shiva. It is from then on the practice of pouring gangajal on Shivlings during the month of Shravan started.

3. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

I have heard of Baba Baidyanath temple in Deogarh. Incidentally, Deogarh finds mention in the Puranas. It is called as Hridaypith and Chitabhoomi. There is a reason for this. After the Daksha Yagya, Sati’s heart fell here and her last rites were conducted by her husband Lord Shiva here.

During my trip to Deogarh, I also visited the Ramkrishna Mission Vidyapith. The Vidyapith has been imparting quality education for some time now and is run by the Ramkrishna Mission. Tourists flock to see the zoo.

Baba Baidyanath has many names. Do you know what they are ?

4. JoyshreeGupta

JoyshreeGupta Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Deogarh is a famous pilgrimage centre situated about 7 kms from the Jasidih Railway station in Jharkhand.
    There are other names of Baba Baidyanath. These are Shri Baidyanath-ling, Ravaneshwar-mahadev, Baijunath, Marg Tutpurush, Atma-ling, Megheswarling, and Manokamna-ling.
    It is said that if you pray with a pure heart to Baba Baiydanath, your wish is sure to be granted. Therefore, Baba Baidyanath is also called the name of Manokamnaling.
    The kanwariyas carry water from Sultanganj which is at a distance of 105 kms from Deogarh. It is a tiring journey to make but hundreds of kanwariyas make the journey happily each year. Truly faith can move mountains.
    :thumbsup

5. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

I find the information on Deogarh pretty useful. The city is not yet very popular at least in the english print media. I related the story to my mother-in-law.... we are planning to visit. We will stop over at Jasidih for a day or two.

6. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

It feels great to talk about Deogarh here. I am a devotee of Gurudev Anukul Chandra Thakur. My main aim in visiting Deogarh was to visit his ashram which is situated here.
    Of course I also visited the temple of Baba Baidyanath.
    Here is an interesting piece of information I learnt about the temple of Baba Baidyanath. As per tradition, the prisoners of the Deogarh Jail present a “Sarp-mala” and a crown made of flowers every evening to Lord Baidyanath. This ritual is being performed since British times.
    What do you think of this ritual? Do let us know.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  7. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

I am impressed. I will certainly like to visit Deogarh ....

8. Ayesha88

Ayesha88 New IL'ite

Hi Joyshree
    I last visited Deogarh a couple of years back. According to folklore, Sage Narad is believed to have told Hanuman that it is only at Baba Baidyanath that devotees can hope to achieve moksh irrespective of the sins they may have committed. This is all the benevolence of Lord Shiva.
    The other Jyotirlings too have such unique attributes. Darshan of the Kashi Vishwanath temple at Varanasi will give you the boon of moksh and darshan of the Mahakaleshwar will ensure that you do not die an untimely death.
    It was nice reading your writeup on Deogarh.
    :thumbsup