Dental work involving anesthesia during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Indianwife2000, May 6, 2014.

1. Indianwife2000

Indianwife2000 Silver IL'ite

Dear ILadies,

I have a question for all of you.

I am currently 9 weeks pregnant and I need to get a dental cavity filled in one of my teeth. My dentist said that he will have to use a low dose of local anesthesia to numb me. I am very concerned if it will have any adverse effect on my baby.

I checked with my dentist and according to him, it is safe. However, when I called my doctor's office, I was told if I could wait until the first trimester is done, that would be better. I also got a feeling from my doctor's nurse that it might not be that safe as my dentist suggests. I am very confused on what to do.

On one hand, I have heard that dental hygiene is extremely important during pregnancy and but on the other hand, they say that one should stay away from x-rays, anesthesia and some drugs as these can pass through placenta and can potentially have adverse effects on the baby.

Do you have any advice/suggestions for me? Is there anyone who got similar work done during pregnancy, specially during the first trimester and everything went fine? Has anyone had any discussion regarding this with your ob/gyn? If so, what did they say?

Please help me!

1 person likes this.

2. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi IW,
    If you can hold on the dental process, please do it after 12W. I heard all dental jobs can be done by then without much harm to you & to your baby!
    Please read the article in the 'Click here' sticky thread on dental works. It might help you and guide you!
    All the best!

3. sujanags

sujanags Gold IL'ite

IW,
    Yes, it's better you avoid the dental activity during 1st and 3rd trimester (unless you have severe pain/worse condition). In case you have any pain, you can manage for 1 or 2 days keeping clove (krambu in tamil) on the affected tooth.

You can take care of your dental Hygiene by brushing twice a day, avoiding sticky caramelized sweets/chocolates and cold items.

4. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Hi

Yes, I did have 2 wisdom teeth removed during my first pregnancy and I was 15 weeks then. Everyone did mention to me that the second trimester is the most ideal for any dental work to be done. It's just that the first trimester is when the fetal organs are all developing and that's probably why they recommend to wait until the first trimester is done.

I was given local anesthesia as well at that time, though I would have preferred to go completely under!

1 person likes this.
  5. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Its just a cavity and not that you have lot of tooth ache. I would wait until after the baby is born.

Dental hygiene is overrated. It matters in the west as they eat meat 3 times a day and hardly wash their mouth.

6. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

Btw, why did you go to the dentist office in the first place during pregnancy? Are you having tooth ache?

Dont even go there as there are x-rays being taken in all different directions.

7. Indianwife2000

Thank you so much ladies for your valuable inputs. After reading your replies, I will wait until the first trimester is done.

Fortunately, I don't have pain but I am just concerned about my cavity getting bigger if it is not treated immediately. My main concern is if I wait too long and if condition worsens and if I have to get a root canal or tooth extraction treatment done, then what I will do? Also, this anesthesia aspect was bothering me a lot...hence I posted this query here.

Vasu...I will read the article you suggested. Thanks.

Thank you again ladies!!! Much appreciated.

8. Indianwife2000

I went to the dentist office last week since my DD had an appointment with the dentist. However, I didn't see any other patient in the clinic and I know their x-ray area is usually secure.

But thanks for your pointer anyway.....I will be careful next time when I visit them.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  9. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

They will use local anesthesia to numb the mouth and will carry out the procedure. I hope it won't harm you.
    They should use lead sheets or something to prevent and protect you from the X-rays. Check them out too if you have to attend to your teeth soon! Also check out the pain killer that will be given in the later part, hope it won't harm you.
    Take care.

10. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

Hi IW,

If you can wait, that would be better. Please also go for a second opinion if you are worried about the root canal. It is good to see a post from you. When are you due?