1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dental Woes

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by royans, Jan 9, 2010.

1. royans

royans New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I need to take my 17 month old daughter to a paediatric dentist. A part of her top lateral incisor has broken off and she's got brown marks on them, caries I suppose. :-( It is spreading to the other top incisors. Never noticed anything until a part of her tooth fell off! I got a reference from my paed. The dentist's flyer states 'Stop breastfeeding your child at 1 year'.

My baby still needs to be breastfed to take her naps and to sleep at night. I've read mixed literature on caries in relation to breastfeeding. Some say .. yeah it does, some say no it doesn't.

Does anyone know of a dentist in Chennai who is pro-breastfeeding?

LO has got all of her incisors and her molars are popping up. She is given sweets / fizzy drinks on rare occassions. But she has raisins daily. She absolutely hates the toothbrush and will not show her mouth to be cleaned. It is a struggle every day. She doesnt like me to even clean her teeth with a washcloth.

ANother thing... do we really need to clean her tongue? My MIL and maid insist on it and Im thinking its part of the reason she hates her mouth to be touched.

Thanks in advance.
    Sylvia.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Slyvia, I dont know where you live, But I will recommend Parasu Dental hospital in Kasturbha Nagar, Adyar. They knew I was bfing my 22 month old when I needed surgery and one of the dentist gave me this disapproving look and spouted the same nonsense as the handbill said.
    I asked the chief dentist there and he told me this: breastfeeding does not cause carries, but sugars will and improper brushing will cause it. If you can give a sip of water after your bf in the night/before nap, it should be fine."
    I posted here about what looked like caries on DS and his resistence to brushing. One of the dentists on this forum told me breastmilk is non-cariogenic. Some children do not like toothbrushes. Mine prefers to have his teeth cleaned by fingers, but we somehow try to get in short brushings 2 to 3 times a day. I know what you are talking about.
    What worked for me - again a suggestion from IL - is to have him brush the same time as us. He gnaws on his toothbrush for a while :crazy when we are brushing and then we do a quick clean up. A lot of praise and a year later, he will now let me brush his teeth for less than 45 sec - it is a quick in and out job, as yet.
    p.s. how have you been, we have not seen you here in a long while.

3. royans

royans New IL'ite

Hi Krithika, Thanks for your response. The dentist is not too far away from where I stay.
    Yes, I've read your thread on caries .. mmm... its still difficult to get LO to do anything with a brush. She sucks the paste off the brush and is not interested in it once the paste is off. Tried all the other suggestions mentioned... but in vain. She doesnt like my fingers to touch her teeth as well! I get quite desperate looking at the state of her teeth. Hubby is not about... sailing, if you remember... so I've got to rely on my own judgement. MIL insists its nothing to worry .. that the milk teeth will eventually fall off.... Hey, but not at this age!
    Anyways, I shall take her to the dentist and hope for the best. I have no idea how they are going to get her to open her mouth. She doesn't do it for me! I hope they have some fun ways... but that's asking for too much, I guess.
    I've been good otherwise, Krithika. Thanks for enquiring. Just very busy with the kiddo and the jobs about the home and the stuff I got to take care of in hubby's absence. Life's good. Happy New Year to you and everyone else here on IL.
    Sylvia.