Dental problems during Pregnancy ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Haasini, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Re: Help!!! Wisdom toothache during pregnancy!!

Do get an opinion from your dentist - you are allowed to undergo many procedures even when you are pregnant so much so that you can even have dental xrays as long as they put a lead apron over your belly. Though I'm sure you won't need xrays, etc. But a visit to the dentist will give you better idea of what should be the next course of action. Hope you feel better soon.

-L.

2. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Hi Vnbaby,
    Procedures can be safely performed in the 2nd trimester.Also dentist can prescribe u some antibiotics which are safe during pregnancy.Please visit your dentist as soon as possible.please dont suffer the pain.
    Like Lavanya has mentioned for X-rays the dentist will be using a lead apron.So dont worry and get an appointment soon
    -Sruthu
    (im a dentist as well)

3. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Daksh, Lavanya and Sruthu!!

Thanks a lot for your quick response friends that is why I share every problem of my pregnancy here because I know I have lots of friends here who will surely help me.

Sruthi, I really wanted a dentist advise right now. Actually the thing is we are kinda new here in Los Angeles, US so its really difficult for us to find a good dentist here. Same problem I faced when I came to know about my pregnancy and had to look for a good OB/GYN. And I just hate Medical System here Rant. If you are in pain and you want an immediate medical treatment you need to call emergency services i.e 911 and they charge 3-4times of the normal charges. Otherwise you have to take an appointment which is never before 1 weeks time. And till your appointment date arrives you already feel better.

So Sruthi can you tell me that what a dentist can do in my case? Are you sure antibiotics they prescribe are totally safe during pregnancy? I have read on internet that if a wisdomtooth erupts in late 20s it could be painful because there is no much space left in mouth for it so doctor either take it out(remove it) or do a surgery to help it in erupting out of the gums. As much I can guess both procedures will need antibiotics to heel the wound and I just dont want to risk my baby rather can bear this pain. I am scared because my elder sister lost her baby :cry: in 4th month by taking an antibiotic(Alerid) prescribed by her OB/GYN in India when she(my sister) was suffering from common cold.

Please advise me because I know being a dentist and a woman you can understand my pain.

Thanks in advance.
    V n baby

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Vnbaby,
    A little clarification - Alerid is not an antibiotic, it is Cetirizine - an antihistamine (anti-allergy) used commonly for treating colds. Studies so far have not shown any increased risk to the baby if the pregnant mother takes it (http://drugsafetysite.com/cetirizine). Of course that does not mean that it could not have caused your sister's miscarriage. Anyway there are many antibiotics which are safe for the baby. You should also be aware that there is an increased incidence of pre-term labour in women with tooth infections - so it is best to get it treated. Please do find a dentist and also speak to your OBGYN.

Vanathi.

PS - This is not to scare you, merely to give you info you might not know.

5. Sruthu

Sruthu New IL'ite

Hi Vnbaby,
    Aadhus mom has already clarified about the medication.Please explain to the dentist that ur pregnant and that ur in pain.Usually they do consider this as important.They will only consider safe antibiotics for you.What you have read about the treatment part is true,that it is better removed or else it can get infected time and again and cause problems.
    Please dont suffer from pain.i can understand how painful it might be.Inform your GYN and he/she might help you get an appointment at the dentist as soon as possible.
    Dentist might take an xray and then decide what best can be done.Hope you get well soon.

Sruthu

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

hi see a doctor soon. inform the dentist that you are a mommy to be. 0

7. Vnbaby

Vnbaby Senior IL'ite

Hi Vanathi, Shruti and Priya!!

Thanks for your advices and helping me in making a decision. I have searched for a dentist and fixed and appointment for friday.

Take Care
    V n baby

8. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

Dear Vnbaby

i too have the same prob. My wisedom tooth is giving me probs that i chew on one side only. It aches like hell. when i drink water, it sends a ziiiing of pain right through!!!!

I consulted my gneac and she said for the first 3 months she wouldnt recommend pullingit out. but from the 4th month on, i could get it pulled out is what she advised.
    so i am waiting to complete 3months which is another 2 weeks. Then, first thing i am doing is rushing to the dentist and have it pulled out. Ofcourse i will need to tell the dentist i am pregnant before they administer any medication.

I would suggest, since your already 18 weeks to get it pulled out. Ofcourse you can consult your gynea before doing that. and Do please tell the dentist your preg before they operate on you.

Take care
    JJ

9. maha

maha Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I also had a similar pblm when i was 6 months pregnant..I was advised a mild pain killer, i just had i dosage of it, but later i managed to push till delivery with the help of listerine, brushing twice a day and avoiding sweets, too hot or too cold items...now after delivery (21 days), this pblm has come again..again dentist wouldnt recommend any treatment for 6 months since i am feeding my baby..but again the same process..mild pain killers, goggling, food control..

so ,its better for u to get ur teeth treated before the end of ur 6th month...

10. JayaJ

JayaJ Senior IL'ite

Toothache

Dear all,

I am 15 weeks preg. From the start of the pregnancy, i have had toothache. When i consulted my Gynaec, she said to wait till i completed my first trimester.

Now, i am in the second trimester but i am scared of removing my wisdom tooth which is giving me so much pain. i am afraid of the x-ray which mayor may not affect my child or the medicines prescribed......
    even though i have a trustworthy dentist, i am still being cautious and careful.sometimes, i think i shud wait till after my delivery for getting rid of this pain.
    somedays, the pain the so bad, that i just want to pull it out and get it over with....

i wonder if the baby will be affected by my tooth ache? will it also feel the pain?

what do you suggest?

Take care,
    JJ