1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delivery In November Neither Mom Nor In Laws Interested In Asking About Me :(

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shwetapj, Oct 4, 2016.

1. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

Shewta,

I know you cant help but feel hurt when people who you count on do not raise to your level of expectation. how ever you are a 'first-time-mommy-to-be'. There is a lot in store for you which can be overwhelming. Dont waste time over things you cannot control and be practical. Plan things out as your delivery is nearing. I have been raising my kid with no help from anyone else but my DH. I was also all alone taking care of my new born son (just 45 days old) when DH had to go on an urgent official tour for a week. Its certainly tough but well worth the hardship. Take care

2. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hello Ladies!

Looking at your replies, i am feeling good because this has strengthened my Morale a lot. My husband is my backbone and he will support me throughout the delivery and childcare thing. He always consoles me to be positive and dont worry about what will happen when baby comes as he always says he will always be there to take care of the baby. To be honest, We cannot even ignore our work because its our financial backbone. He is a business man and cannot take leave for a long time. That is why I am trying to take care of my self as much as possible without anybody's help. He will be coming home early after childbirth to spend maximum time with us.

3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

OP, Hire an Aaya to help with your child and your health. In India, an experienced lady comes to do maalish for both mother and child. Find someone similar who can take care of just the both of you. Anyway you have help with cooking and cleaning. She can help with any special care and/or guidance you may require. Yes it is expensive, but it is only for a few weeks. You would need this help for possibly 8-12 weeks. Do not fret over why your mother and MIL aren't there when you need them. It is the way it is. Accept it and move on. The more you ruminate over such thoughts, the more you are spoiling you health and farther you are from actually finding a solution.

sindmani likes this.
  4. NeerjaC

NeerjaC Silver IL'ite

Hi shwetapj,

First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope everything goes well for you and you have a healthy, happy baby.
    With regards to your husband, please ask him to take some time off work and be with you, both during your delivery and in the 2 or 3 days afterwards when you are in hospital. I speak from experience, whether you have a normal delivery or a challenging one, this is a very vulnerable time for you and you really do need to have someone with you. Forget about the business, forget about work, forget about everyone else, focus on yourself and your baby. Your husband needs to be there for you until you come home.
    As for helping out once you get home, I would suggest you pre-cook some food and freeze it so that once you are home with the baby, at least you don't have to worry about cooking everyday, this is a must as it will take the burden off you and help you focus on your new baby. That's the most important thing. Don't worry about how the house looks or what anyone will say. Don't allow visitors for at least a couple of weeks, this is also important so that you don't get stressed with entertaining etc. And please, don't even attempt to work, it can wait. Everything can wait until you get your strength back. You need to look after yourself first because if you are not 100%, then who will look after your child and your husband?
    It's OK to feel angry at being abandoned but I have learned that we are a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Be strong, think of your beautiful baby and have faith in yourself that you don't need anyone else to take care of you!

somsar2014 and NeetaR like this.
  5. YoGirl

YoGirl Gold IL'ite

OP,
    Firstly, u r caught up in a fancy world of the favors and fabulous life which a pregnant woman has.. Welcome and most of us were believing in the same myth. Fact is, very few ppl share our joy of pregnancy news and be with us throughtout...even though everyone throws free advice until it chockes us. When i saw others baby shower photos, everything n everyone seemed soo perfect! When my turn came...uh..it was a huge hungama between families and clashes abt the cultures n rituals. Every event related to baby has some or the other hiccup and nothing went as planned for me. Never enjoyed any one of them. Always compromising. Hope it will be different for you unlike me. Even when mom or inlaws r there to help, its not easy to manage(read parents or inlaws) as the new born. Trust me. We will have some thoughts and ideas abt how few things should be handled and they theirs... Forget it OP, it will be an episode worth of stuff to explain here..

You seemed to be well prepared to handle job post delivery. You sounded confident. Carry forward the same towards raising baby. You can read up loads of stuff on internet and be prepared. I am sure, you already are. But, also read up on how to take care of yourself. Others can chip in for ur baby, but not for you. Chk out some of the common and frequent discomforts which women face post delivery..like dry nipple.

Abt your mil, not asking about ur health..its a culture imbibed in most of mil's dna. Cant do much. When we told the news of my pregnancy, my mil literally counted on her fingers as to when i would have conceived as we had huge fight 2-3 weeks before(me Vs H and mil). She was furious to realize that we had sex after the huge fight. And she never ever asked me abt pregnancy, never accompanied to DR visits, never asked if i ate( and i had huge nausea n lost 5 kgs in first 3 months) even though my pregnancy was a highly complicated one. But i was on bed rest third trimester n she provided me good food as per my H instructions( not from her heart). I wondered how she gave birth to 2 kids and not know how to care for pregnant woman. That too her grandchild who will carry their family legacy. All she did from her heart was to arrange for a baby shower to brag abt it n point out abt less breat milk n color of baby... So u r better off being alone.. Trust me.

6. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

with normal delivery, physically its not very toll taking to take care of baby alone....but you are a first time mom, so can find it overwhelming.....in case of csection, generally minimum 15 days of rest is required....you husband busy in work and you are a first time, so its not going to be that easy especially if csection happens.
    I think hiring a 24 hrs nurse or aaya who is expereinced in handling baby would be good. infact it would be better than having MIL or MOM. as you will be saved with unnecessarily advices and aaya will work as par you.
    Mostly MIL comes for help but hardly do any help, so dont be so worried, replace them with aaya or nurse...

sindmani and somsar2014 like this.
  7. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

edit

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  8. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Too funny ! :)

9. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hello Soulful!

I have hired a malishwali who will take care of me and my baby. But that would be for just an hour or two till everything is done. The reason I feel bad about being abandoned is atleast Mom or MIL should be there to give us strength and motivation. But I am prepared to come what may.

10. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I am confident, that I would be taking care of my baby and my work all alone. I got many replies saying to keep food precooked, i think some of them did not read my problem properly, As i have mentioned I have a cook and for cleaning already so no worries about cooking. And regarding baby shower, no one is bothered to do that or ask about baby shower. Also to be honest, My husband and I know we are both caught up in a situation such that we cannot abandoned our business for many reasons such as we have installments of home loans and other expenses to pay. Also we need to give our attention also. That is why I would be only working or managing work when my baby is sleeping. That is how I am planning to schedule my work.
    So far in my lifetime, Life has never been so easy for me and I never got anything easy. This is time also I will consider the same. Whatever happens , happens for good. God is watching over me. Whenever we fall in a situation , we never know our strengths and abilities. That is why rather than coming to conclusions before coming to the situation, better accept the fact and go ahead face come what may