1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delicate Issue

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by beautyfull, Jan 15, 2019.

1. beautyfull

beautyfull New IL'ite

Hi,
    I need your suggestions on a problem that I am facing. I work full time and have two young kids. My husband stays out of state and only visit after couple of weeks. I am a busy mom doing everything by myself during the week. Drop kids pick them manage dinners and all.

The problem is I have a sister who's kids are in college and she lives by herself no husband. She cimes over every fridFr and stays with us until Sunday. I know she is lonely and maybe wants to spend time with my kids but I am getting tired of it. Because weekend is my only rest time and I don't want to entertain another person every weekend. I know she is my sister and I don't have to do anything extra but still I have to cook even if kids and I can manage with left overs.

How can I stop her from coming each weekend without hurting her. Please advise ladies. I rwarea don't want to hurt her but I do want to enjoy some alone time with my kids. I hope you ladies understand what I am trying to say.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I understand what you are trying to say. What I don't understand why your sister who has college age kids does not by herself get how exhausting it can be to have someone over every weekend Fri-Sun. And, why you who have two young kids have to cook. Why can't she cook. If she needs company every weekend, a fair effort on her part would be to cook for the weekend. Even better if she can help with some other household chores.

Since it's been going on for a while, it will take some time to reduce the frequency. First try skipping one weekend. Maybe say you and kids have Friday plans. Next, you could try saying that you guys will come over to her house for a change. You could also make plans for Sunday which means you have to leave the house in the morning.

Better would be if you can have a frank talk with her. Put the blame more on your out-of-town husband and your work schedule. Say you want to spend quality time with her. And that you need time with the kids in the weekend. Especially 1-1 time with the older. Or, put it as your husband says kids need more time with you since he is absent.

sindmani, Laks09 and shravs3 like this.
  3. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

It is understandable but it’s ur sis just tell her to help u with cooking ..
    Does she come when ur husband visits u guys??.maybe she is thinking that she is coming to give u company so u don’t feel lonely at home during weekends as u r busy otherwise..
    I would say tell her how u feel say her to give u space ..

sindmani likes this.
  4. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I'm guessing she is not employed? If so, then she's alone most of the week. That probably drives her desire for your company during the weekends.
    In an Indian context, I have found such situations difficult. Any move to carve out personal time or space is seen as distancing. These are vestiges of our traditional communal living arrangements. For the longest time, my father considered a closed door as an exclusionary move! I had to blame the squirrel cheeping outside, loudly and insistently, all day every day. (If that bushy-tailed rodent would put the same energy into learning English, he'd be the first squirrel at Harvard). So, my excuse was a need for peace and quiet to get some work done. Now, after many years, he gets it.
    I like this. Phrasing it this way will account for the change in your interaction with her. It will let you go on about that kid next door who's a bad influence (remember, all kids except our own are a malign influence, save the ones who get into IIT). You can bang on about how that other kid got into drugs, and that girl over in the next building ran off with some guy who doesn't even have a B.E., and about how you want to make sure your son/daughter stays out of trouble.

So, responsible parenting is an excellent excuse. Kids these days - they grow up so fast! Not like us.
    You can ask your sister about her parenting strategies, her kids' teen years blah, blah. If she is a reliable babysitter, you can ask her to keep an eye on one while you step out with the other; then, a few weeks later, go out with both children while she stays home or comes over for dinner that you can order out, whatever.

If you do this in a way that makes her feel included and wanted, you can get her to understand. Eventually.

5. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

3 days a week?:nut:

Complain so and so health issues and as need to take rest etc.. make them used to this practice..

if she understands and invite you for stay/stop frequent visits/taking care of kids, then good...

If not, reasons may vary, but trust me she is using you...

6. kavikuyil

kavikuyil Bronze IL'ite

Some ideas:
    • Kids are bored and want to go somewhere.. so, we'll come to your place this weekend....
    • I have some errands to run, please watch the kids and give them the dinner on the table, and oh! make dosa for older one, She doesn't like rice.
    • We are going to XX place, want to meet us there?
    • Oh good, you are here, I was feeling overwhelmed trying to make too many.. can you make this Sambar while I make this idli. ....... Clean these greens and wash and chop them while you watch TV. Done? ok, cut onions then...
    • I really like your Biriyani (or whatever difficult recipe), Can you make it today?
    • I am so tired, I'll take a nap while you keep an eye on the kids. (Or maybe kids have a nap too)
    • I have to work from home this weekend. Can we meet up next week?
    Soon you'll be asking us, 'My sister doesn't come home at all, I miss her, what do I do?'

Rihana and shravs3 like this.
  7. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Is she your cousin sister or sibling? Usually siblings will pitch in no matter what. But I can understand. I had been to my mom's house last month and she was getting stressed. In spite of me trying to pick on some tasks, she would stop me from doing them. She did not like doing certain things, but she did not want my involvement in those tasks. I too kept quiet because I knew I was going to leave soon. I suggest you start delegating tasks to your sister. If she is okay, she will make it easy for you. If not, she will back out herself.