Delhi's Dhaba Culture

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by sethihardeep, Aug 22, 2010.

1. sethihardeep

sethihardeep New IL'ite

Some 500 years ago, roadside restaurants called Dhabas began serving travelers of the highway and local community with local cuisine; and for centuries the food has been enjoyed at Dhabas around India.

Most Indian highways play host to these roadside restaurants. Most Dhabas comprise of one shed-like building where the food is cooked, surrounded by Charpoys (day-bed type seating) at which the food is served!

Traditionally, Dhabas in Delhi or any where in India, used to cater mainly to truckies and long-distance travelers. However, nowadays everyone seems to enjoy the simple, unpretentious and wholesome food served at the Dhabas - mainly for tickling their taste buds with the authentic flavors of desi food at its best.

In other words, the word dhaba has come to represent any restaurant that serves Punjabi food . Dhaba food is rustic; it is strong and in-the-face.

Do you enjoy eating out in a Dhaba? What's you favorite dhaba food in Delhi?

Attached Files:

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Hi, Good morning. I had Dhaba food in late 1960s. Very good. I miss it. I loved the chapathis and the dhal.

I am hungry now. wish I can eat at Dhaba now.

Good day:thumbsup

3. SanjanaBatra87

SanjanaBatra87 New IL'ite

Yummmmmmm. Thanks for the D-EL-I-C-I-O-U-S thread Hardeep.

The word DHABA makes me smell the aloo paranthas, tandoori rotis, Ma ki dal, paneer shashlik and Tandoori chicken. In fact, it is hard to decide what to gorge on when we visit a dhaba. Is it the same for you all?

Really, Dhaba's are irresistible!

@ Just saw another irresistible post

:cheers

See you there!

4. mousumidutta

mousumidutta New IL'ite

Indeed, Dhaba and Delhi always go together. The dhabas on the Delhi-Ambala highways are a foodie's paradise. I'm still nostalgic about the lassi bar, live chaat counter and glassfuls of kesari pista doodh (milk flavoured with saffron and garnished with pista).

Yummmm..it sets you on the culinary melodrama that unfolds on the highways. Move on to the tawa kababs and paratha counters that furnish you with the starters. Aloo Paranthas - dhaba style can beat any star chef on earth.

How to make dhaba-style Aloo paranthas?

Attached Files:

5. neetugoyal

neetugoyal New IL'ite

how right you are . We love Dhabas.