1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delhi Rape - my response

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rvnachar, Sep 11, 2013.

1. rvnachar

rvnachar Silver IL'ite

Delhi Rape – A Shame on the Society
    I am very disturbed from the day I read about the gruesome Delhi rape case. I am still not able to digest that human beings could turn so cruel out of lust. Rape is the worst crime that a human being can commit in a civilized society, against a woman. Whenever I read or hear about the cheap manner in which Draupadi was insulted in the court of the Kauravas by Duryodana and Dushasana, my heart aches. Whether it is history or fiction, I don’t care. But it pains me that a woman could be insulted so openly in a court of full quorum in the presence of her so-called valiant five husbands and nobody including the grand old Bhishma, the valiant Drona and the pious Vidhura could even protest such a heinous act verbally. I don’t know whether such a thing happened or was imagined just to prove Almighty’s immense power and capacity. It pains me that a woman has always been at the receiving end right from the time she was created. She is considered unholy not just in one religion but more than that. She has been used as an object to achieve political victories and then just thrown away like dirt. Very few look beyond a woman’s physique and recognize the womanhood and soul in that body.
    I intentionally did not read the vivid details of the Delhi rape, as I cannot stand. However, I did come to know the terrible manner in which the poor girl was tortured, as if it was not enough for her to stand being raped by five heartless goondas. I have undergone various medical tests like colonoscopy and endoscopy and am a mother of two. I can understand the immense pain caused to that hapless girl when iron rods were inserted into her. Why didn’t fate take away her life before such torturous acts were meted out against her? Where is justice in nature? Where was the so-called God? If Lord Krishna came running to rescue Draupadi from being disrobed, why was he so heartlessly watching such gruesome acts?
    Imagine the pain and agony that the parents of this poor girl must be undergoing. No parent can bear to see his or her offspring undergoing any kind of suffering. That is so evident now when the parents of the convicts are crying and seeking for mercy though their crime has been proved beyond doubt! Then how can those parents forget the torture that their innocent daughter was put through? Every human being who reads about Hitler can only hate him and enjoy punishing him. Then how can the parents of this girl rest at peace until the five heartless idiots are meted out the ultimate punishment?
    It is all very easy to argue that ‘an eye for an eye makes the whole kingdom blind’ or ‘forget and forgive’ is the best policy. But when one undergoes such a rare experience, vengeance will definitely rise in the heart. Okay. The parents cannot take law into their own hands and punish the perpetrators. But they would at least expect the legal system to punish the guilty in a severe manner. It is a shame that the parents and wife of the convicts seek for justice, when there is a live witness to the whole terrible act and the case has been handled in the fairest manner. It is proved beyond doubt that the five of them committed the crime. ‘I was just driving the bus’ is the worst excuse that a decent human being can give in such a case. He could have driven the bus to a police station. If not for enjoying the whole episode, why would anybody keep driving a bus when such a thing was happening? And coming to the case of the so-called minor, it is really unfair that he was awarded just 3 years of imprisonment, when he was the worst of the lot and was the main person who inserted the rod into the girl and enjoyed her painful cries. If a person could commit such a gruesome act as a ‘minor’, imagine how dangerous he could be to the society as he grows up! And spare him and he will get all the courage to commit many such crimes, because spending just 3 years in a prison is cake’s walk for such criminals. It is a shame that our law could treat someone lightly on the grounds that he is a minor just because he was just a year or less than that, younger than 18! So, can a boy who turns 18 tomorrow, commit any kind of crime today and get away with a light pat on his back? What kind of justice is this? Though as per law, he was a minor, he has shown by his act, that he was more than an adult, a sick, criminal-minded adult! I can understand law being lenient towards kids of seven and eight committing thefts or accidentally causing death of someone without any intention or for self-defence. But a person, who has committed such a dreadful act of rape, torture and murder should never be treated so leniently, for he committed it with full knowledge and intention as an adult. Thus his punishment too should be reviewed. He will be a danger to the society, as he can turn a serial rapist and killer like Jaishankar tomorrow.
    It is shameful for the parents and wives of the convicts to be seeking any kind of mercy to their sons/husbands. It would only be wise for them to disown such idiots and seek for the most stringent punishment, as one convict’s parents have sought. In fact, had my son or husband committed such a crime, I would be ashamed of my family and would have first disowned them. They deserve no sympathy from any corner as they are weeds in the society. Do we sympathise with pests and weeds?
    Human rights activists may cry hoarse to do away with capital punishment, saying we live in a ‘civilised society’. But don’t the victims of such crimes have any human right? Where are they living? How can any society that can silently put up with such crimes and keep allowing such criminals to go on with their heinous acts, labeling them ‘serial rapists/killers’ proudly, be called a civilized society? It is fine to say that it is okay to let go even a thousand criminals but don’t let one innocent to get punished. Not that everyone who is in jail or has been hanged so far was proved to have committed the crime beyond doubts. But in this case, because of the testimony of one valuable living witness, everything has been proved beyond doubt. Then, where is the question of showing any mercy?
    I hope at least this time, justice will not close its eyes and will punish all the five convicts in the severest manner, so that others in the society will think twice before venturing to commit such acts.
    Sudha Narasimhachar