1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delay in speech

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by kalpsadit, Oct 4, 2006.

1. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

Re: Speaking - how many words?

hi CC,

What you said is very apt, that we are getting stressed out teaching them. My mom says he will learn at his own pace. So probably we should stop teaching them.
    With my son , what i have observed is, he likes listening to story..and look at those colorfully illustrated books, so nowadays i religiously pick up the books and tell him hte story and in between will ask him question ..that has really helped ...
    may be u can also try that trick

i am not sure if you are working? i am working.. so i am unable to spend more time with him. everyone says the more you talk to your kid they pick up fast.

i think we just need to hv patience to let them grow at their own pace.

2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hi CC,
    I think 50 words for 22 months is more than enough.I really don't think they are lazy. How much interaction does she have with other kids ?I find a huge difference when Sakthi interacts with other kids she learn quickly

As far as disciplining goes what kind of misbehaviour you see in her ...
    What kind of things do you repeat to her ?

Kids are mischevious.If they just keep doing what we say what kind of creativity they will have in their life.I will be more happy if Sakthi does things in way other than I instructed her.It doesn't mean I keep accepting her tantrums.When she has melt downs I do discipline her.Sometimes they just need attention.sometimes they are hungry.So just go with her flow.And don't ever compare your kid with somebody else.Ofcourse if your a kid in India they will speak a lot because they have tons of people with whom they can interact.But in abroad its kind of difficult to get that sort of environment.But at the same time the amount of books kids read is more here.So it all depends on how you see things and take your life.
    Enjoy your life with your toddler.Even if she says little words encourage her and keep talking to her frequently and stop instructing to her.

Thanks
    Mangai

3. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Dear aadhus mom,

thank u for ur supportive words. Coming from a paediatrician like u its comforting. Actually my daughter dint utter a single word till 18 months while my cousins was talking. So evrybody started comparing. My inlaws parents n relatives. I started getting anxious. My inlaws suggested taking her to a doc even . I was really praying evryday for her o open her mouth n utter sum meaningfull word. I stay with my hub n kid abroad while my cousins kid has granma granpa n aunts living with her n she has lots of palymates too. may be thts y she started speaking early. But U know evrybody who calls me says tht gal s speaking n urs not. so I jus keep track of her developements . My daughter s leraning at her own pace. I understand tht all kids are different . But u know how stressed tht makes us until she starts communicating. thank u for ur supportive comments.

regards,
    CC

4. charuchitthra

Dear Easy,

thank u for ur understanding words. am a full time mommy. I read her lots of stories n books with fruits , veggies n bird. atleast thrice r four times everyday. she s trying to repeat a few of them. the prob is she jus says the first syllable. she ll know more first syllables than full words so nobody except me can interpret them.thts y am begining to get bothered.

Regards,
    CC

5. charuchitthra

Dear mangaii,

Thank u for sharing ur knowledge. Actually her interaction wit kids her age is almost nil. am her only playmate . may be thts y she is taking her time.

the problem I see wit her is she wants thingz her way all the time. If she wants sumthng , I better give it r she cries n hits her head wit her hand. sumtimes she rolls in ground n cries, n she throws tantrums like this only at home ( ME nor my husband have any habit like this). she sumtimes throws thingz n kicks them if she doesnt want them . I want to teach her gud manners n I dunno how she picks these filthy habits. I don give in. I jus ignore her until her tanrums subside n i explain tht if she s going to do that again sh e wont get anythng. u know how hard it is have a wailing child n ignoring it. I give her certain areas where she can touch evrythng n sum sreas r a strict no no for her. but she always wants to explore those restricted areas. I want her to ask for things n accept my expalnations r atleast get distarcted rather than throwing a tantrum. Tht I dunno how to correct. Please help.

Regards,
    CC

6. pmn

pmn New IL'ite

Dear CC,

I was in the same boat as you a few months back. My son used to utter a few monosyllables while my cousin's daughter uttered a lot more. Later, I stayed for a few months at my mother's place. There, my mother kept talking to my son all the time. Lo and behold, my son picked up and started talking a lot more!! Now, he talks a lot....:)

I guess we have to keep talking to our child all the time when they are at home with us. I feel that when we were in India at my mother's place, there were a lot of people around him n a lot of people with whom he could interact. Here, there aren't that many. So, we have to make an effort by talking to him while he is with us. But, since we too are alone abroad managing the house, i understand if it gets difficult at times..:)

Take him to playgroups and the storytime sessions nearby your house..let him interact with kids his age. I am sure he'll pick up a few english words too!

Hope this helps!

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

That might be the reason for frustration.Is it possible for you to find play group near your home.You know when my daughters friend came to our home my daughter was so happy that somebody of her age came to our home.She was excited pulling the chair , showing all toys like she was seeing something very exciting.I .Once she reaches her school she is happy to wave hands .I think this is age where they want to share their things with kids of their own age group.So please try to find a mommy group where you can find other kids.

Is she behaving like this all th time ? I think you need to talk to her calmly when she is quite that she cannot behave like this.When she does this just hold her hug her and try to distract her.Distraction is key. Sometimes its very hard.But if it becomes too much then maybe put her in some comfy place in room and tell her once she stops crying then only you can talk to her.
    I know how hard it is.But this is just a phase..Soon they will be sweet little kid. Whenever I get angry with my daughter I go and see her face after she goes to bed.You know how innocent they look.I think your dealing with frustration.
    And also engage her with lots and lots of activities.
    Finger Painting
    Play Dough
    Paint Brushing
    Cutting with stickers.

Maybe you can tell her that if she is nice you can reward her so she might be encouraged...

Good Luck
    Mangai

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Charu - I understand how tough it must be for you alone at home and managing a 2 yr old all day. A playgroup is a real life-saver in this kind of situation. Both of you need time with people your age to be happy. Does your local library have a story program? Or is there a kids music program nearby? Start looking for options, once she is occupied and gets tired the tantrums should reduce and you too will feel better with some "alone" time.
    Some ideas http://wpl.winnipeg.ca/library/pdfs/childrensprograms.pdf and Kindermusik Canada - Canadian Kindermusik Studios
    Playgroups at Manitoba Moms - Pregnancy, Parenting, Playgroups & FUN! - Manitoba Moms - Winnipeg, Brandon, Thompson, Portage la Prairie

Vanathi.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  9. charuchitthra

Dear PMn,

Thank you for sharing ur experience. Its true tht kids get to move with more people in India n hence they learn everything faster. I ll be travelling to India on holidays soon. Hope that helps my daughter n me too.

Thanks & Regards,
    CC

10. charuchitthra

Dear Mangaii,

Am right in the middle of downtown. The play groups are not available around this area. But if tht helps I ll sure look for it n start taking her to them . If she s occupied I also guess her strong will will naturally reduce. Thank you for supportive words. Its gud to hear them from people who ve done it before.

Regards,
    CC