1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Delay in speech

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by kalpsadit, Oct 4, 2006.

1. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Re: how to make toddler repeat words?

vanathi,
    we have already met with his ped few weeks back&she says she is not worried........should i email her&ask her if she could refer him to a speech therapist?he understands everything i say&follows instructions.....he runs&comes whenever i call his name,get his books if i ask him to,and follows other simple instructions......do we still need to check his ears?pls let me know so i can email his doc.thanks everyone.other suggestions welcome!

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Vidya - I think you should ask your pedi if it is required. I think they are called speech-language pathologists in the US. At least one visit with one of them to make sure that eveything is ok would be a good idea. I think they will check hearing if required. It is most likely that there is nothing wrong but it never hurts to be sure.

Vanathi.

3. Poonkodi

Poonkodi Bronze IL'ite

Very useful link, thanks for sharing

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

5. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

hey srama,
    it was very thoughtful of you to send me the link when you came across it.thanks a lot!!!i went through it&my son is doing everything thats written in it except verbally expressing,so i feel little reassured...he babbles a lot& reads books in his own babbling language(damn cute!!) so i feel he will start talking soon....he has started observing my mouth so i exagerate my mouth&slowly point&say words/names from his favorite books......yes,i have consulted my ped&she says to wait till 2 yrs so i guess i have to be patient&wait for the day!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I subscribe to this newsletter and it is always reassuring to read and be informed. My daughter is 18months old and is also trying to talk - she is more expressive than I can even describe. My son was speaking full sentences by her age and she seems to be different!

I am sure all your waiting will bear fruit when your son will start speaking non stop and you will soon be smiling and sighing when he is fast asleep after all that chatter! and enjoying the quietness and at the same time misisng his chatter :0

7. easy

easy Gold IL'ite

Speaking - how many words?

hi,
    My son 20 months .. does not talk much..i think his total word count is 20-30 max. he does communicate to us by ponting to the objects.. etc.otherwise he is perfectly active.
    recently i read from a website that at 20 months.. the vocabulary will have close to 200 words. and there are kids at his age group near my house they also seem to talk more than him..

i am not overly worried.. just curious at what age ..months..did ur kids started speaking..

8. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Re: Speaking - how many words?

At 2 she can make complete sentences in english and Tamil.She has very good vocabs.
    Keep reading books and singing songs.I know lot of kids who talked late.It all depends on their own self.I'm sure once they start school they will talk non-stop.
    I did find a huge difference once she started school and started interacting with other kids..

Mangai

9. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

I ve a daughter who is 22 months old . she speaks 40 to 50 words while my cousins daughter who is exactly the same age in India speaks almost anythng. She answers my questions properly as to wat she had for food? has her mom n dad returned n where they ve gone n who she is playing with n all. But my kid still asks for objects by pointing to it. She is not taking the effort at all. I try to teach her all the time n I am the one who gets stressed out bcos of that. If I ask her to tell my name she jus says first letter. like car for carrots cabb for cababge n rab for rabbits. She is jus plain lazy n is not at all interested in laerning the second syllable of any word. And she is adamant n wants things her way. I dunno how to discipline her without using the stick. I jus try to repeat wat she has to do thousand times n she might listen to it once r twice at max. The worst part is she doesnt get distarcted easily.plaese help with suggestions on how to discipline without taking to stick n how to make her speak.

Regards,
    CC

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Charu,
    Relax - 50 words at 2 yrs is perfectly normal. Pls dont compare your child to her cousin - thats not fair. And its not laziness that makes her say the first syllable alone - thats how children learn to speak - by saying the first letter,. then first syllable and eventually the whole word. Just keep talking to her and she will be fine. You CANNOT make a child talk by beating that child, so dont get stressed - next year you will be complaining that she doesnt shut up :)

Vanathi.