1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Delay in Passport renewals

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by Sriniketan, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi ladies!
    I want to pass on this message of delay in processing the passport even for the renewal. It takes about 4 to 5 months if you apply now. This problem is in US only , I think.
    Of course, you can speedy it up for a fee, which they say will take 1 month. I am waiting for the same for my son's passport which must be coming during the middle of the next month which will enable us to go over to India during that time.
    Check your passport expiration so that you can renew the same, in advance.

Sriniketan

2. NizamPori

NizamPori New IL'ite

Are u talking about Indian passport renewal or US passports ?

Please let us know !

Vinni

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

The above information is for US passport renewals.

Vandhana

4 people like this.
  4. NizamPori

NizamPori New IL'ite

I'm glad its not Indian passport renewals......my heart almost skipped a beat when i thought it was indian passport, i'm actuallyheaded out to washington this evening for that purpose !

Thanks for clarifying !

Vinni

1 person likes this.
  5. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

change of maiden name to married name in passport

Dear ladies,

sub : Can anyone help me in filling the application for change of maiden name to married name

I tried contacting california sanfransisco consulate general of india on given numbers and emails,but no response and only the recorded tape in phone works fine,but no one answers ur call.

21).Present indian immigration status(attach documentary evidence .eg. educational qualification/diploma)

*ECR/**ECNR___________________________

*ECR-E immigration clearance required
    **ECNR-E iimigration clearance not required.

in this question #21 above,what to write?iam on h4status now here.

31).Is this application for

a).new passport
    b).new passport in place of expiring/expired passport
    c).Duplicate passport
    d).lost passport
    e).damaged passport

so in the above question # 31 which option do i opt for name change from maiden to married name ?

awaiting for ur help,
    vaishu

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi all,

I got my passport renewed in Atlanta during the monthly camp of Indian Consulate, Houston. I received my new passport in 2 weeks time by UPS. I was told at the camp that if there is a shortage of passports with the Consular office, then there would be a delay. But fortunately there was'nt any when I applied.

Vaishnavilakshmi - While submitting your form, you can ask the Consul officer and he will help you out with your doubts. I submitted a copy of my Degree certificate with respect to question # 21 that you have posted. But I was told that it is not necessary as my old passport had the ECNR stamp. It would be better that you submit a copy since these rules may not be uniformly interpreted.

Thanks,
    Nivedi

7. NizamPori

NizamPori New IL'ite

Hi...Vaishnavi,

I just got back from Washington DC this afternoon....and i'm just too groggy !

I wish i can write and eplain at length now...but really when u r on H4....its an unnecessary headache to change your maiden name to married name, i've seen umpteen cases having unnecessary problems, i shall explain later definately when i'm more fresh and energetic.

I would advice you to best get your husband's name included in your passport now as u r on H4...and @ change your maiden name when u get your green card , and avaoid all problem here with name change and so...as even our educational certificates etc etc will all be in maiden names !

I'll get back to you in details later....but thisis my suggestion !

8. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Vaishnavi,

I completely agree with Nizampori as far as changing maiden name to married name goes. I had been through this...it is just unnecessary confusion. Especially if your H4 visa stamp has your maiden name and now if you change just your passport to have married name, it is all the more worse. Remember, your license, state id, etc. will be as per the name in visa and they will not consider the name change in passport.

I too would suggest you either wait to get a new passport (when your existing passport expires) in married name with US visa stamping too in that in married name.

However, to answer your questions above...

Q #21 - ECNR - immigration clearance not required; attach your latest degree qualification certificate from the university in India; state your status as H4- dependent

Q #31 - I am surprised there is no option for name change. Usually, there will be an option. Check whether you have got the form for applying new passport. There should be an almost similar form that is for name change in passport. I got one downloaded from the Washington DC consulate site.

Good luck to you.

Malathy

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sriniketan,

If you are referring to US passport renewal, my friend recently got her kid's US passport renewed. She was also warned about the delays and she applied with extra fees through the speedy process. Looks like it just came in exactly 2 weeks.

That's good news for those who are due for renewing their passports while planning a vacation to India.

Malathy

1 person likes this.
  10. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Hey thanq vandana,nivedi and malathy,

Iam so glad that i got to know about the risks involving in name change before greencard/passport expiry when all our educational docs till now are on our maiden name.So now i have decided to wait until i get my greencard rather than avoiding all these hastles.

Thanq once again for ur time and patience in answering me,
    And nivedi,i would certainly want u to rest and take time to share ur experience here so that many women like me would learn more.

Thanq ladies,
    bye,
    have a nice weekend,
    cheers,vaishu

3 people like this.