1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Defiant children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

I find that modern children become defiant at young age itself. The first word my nephew's kid spoke was a 'No'. He says for anything a big 'No'. It is tough to make him eat.

I saw an advertisement in Zee T.V. A mother is teaching her son the alphabets and the child is telling defiantly in wrong order always.This is apparently an ad. for mango lassi and they show the child has grown into a boy and sings a rap in alphabets since he had tasted the mango lassi.

In western countries, parents cannot beat the children and even cannot scold. I have heard the children threatening the parents that they will complain to the local councils who will take the children away from the custody of the parents.

I had seen a T.V program in BBC T.V about the problems faced by the teachers in schools. I was shocked to see the students calling the teacher 'Bitch', abuse her and absolute pandemonium in some classes. Teachers who were interviewed were in tears and some were talking of leaving the job.

In India, situation is much better. But, still teachers don't get the same respect as they used to get in olden days.

I can't understand the reason for the growing defiance among the children. Only thing I can think of is that the parental care and attention to children is not the same as it was in yester years. I would like to get your opinion on this topic.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi raman sir,

A nice topic. Agreed there are defiant children, but who is the first culprit...it is the parents. with working couples, they feel they are not doing full justice to their children (exceptions always there) and pamper them...they dont say no when they have to.

The terms parenting and discipline have gone through a lot of change. with one child concept coming in, the parents feel that he is the apple of their eye, so he deserves everything..and moreso, you are not giving the child room to learn how to behave, how to react how to adjust.

The other thing i have seen..which i feel is also another reason...the parents would not have got those things .... whether these were necessity/luxury depends on personal opinion....which they feel their kids should not be deprived off...and go overboard...(it was difficult for us also to curb that too especially veda..)

Teachers, things are not the same. I have a neighbour who is a teacher at a senior school...they are scared of the boys because they makes so many comments...to the extent one boy gave a love letter to the teacher....

The media exposure, the peer pressure, the parents over indulgence..everything...goes to aggravate this problem.

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

You are absolutely correct. Your analysis and the reasons you have brought out are clinical. Thanks for visiting the thread and posting your views.

Regards,

TDU