1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Defeated by PCOS

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by thegirlygirl, Jan 30, 2014.

1. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I have come here to cry today.

I am trying to lose weight with PCOS since long, and have been faltering alot lately.

I decided to bring myself in rhythm since a few days, and today when I woke up, I found that I have gained weight!

I was so shattered, I was in a gloomy mood throughout the day, then to make things worse, I got a rejection call from one of my prospective grooms. They said that the horoscope didn't match, but when we matched, it was matching perfectly. I think they were just lying, they probably didn't like my profile.

I am at my wits end with PCOS!!

I have been battling this dreadful condition since the age of 9 or 10. I couldn't do much about it then because I lacked resources.

I was on and off medication, which probably worsened my condition.

By the time I finished college, I was in a pathetic condition, I was obese, had irregular periods, and high blood pressure.

I had to take a break, I sat at home right after college, so that I could take proper treatment for it, and follow a good diet and exercise regimen.
    My friends got lucrative jobs in their field, while was left out just because of PCOS.

I was happy initially as I was slowly losing weight, I managed to lose 20kgs with diet, exercise and metformin, my periods regularised and my blood pressure was also normal. When I went for my sonography my cysts had also reduced,but then I stopped losing weight.

And now to my horror the weight is creeping back kilo by kilo! I am devastated, I am feeling like my 2 years of sacrifice and hard work is going down the drain!

I still need to lose alot of weight, I am still in the obese category.

My weight has plateaud since almost 1 year now, I am trying as much as all the ladies out here, but because of this damn PCOS, my weight is just not going down further!

Had I been a normal healthy girl, I would have lost almost 40 kgs with this kind of effort.

What is worse is that I can't do much about it. I live in a backward country in Africa, where there are no endocrinologists nor dietitians from whom I can seek professional help, I just have to suffer in silence as I have before!

I am feeling so hollow from within, I feel I will never be able to find a husband, even if do manage to find one, he will not be pleased with me, neither will I be able to bear him children!

Despite the weight loss, my hirsutism has not reduced, infact it has increased, it is all over my face! I gave coarse hair in my chin and neck, and thin hair all over my cheeks. This is really hurting my ego!

When I read PCOS related infertility threads here, my heart starts shivering.

PCOS is the centre of my life, my life revolves around it, I hardly have any space in my mind for other things in life, not even my career.

I am constantly reading diet books, or looking for some information on the net regarding PCOS or weightloss, healthy recipes, or motivational videos on youtube.

But nothing seems to be working. I feel like a loser.

My weight is badly affecting my morale, I have already paid a heavy price for me being overweight during my school and college years.

I don't know what to do, I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I feel my life is over.

Thank you for listening.

2. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

i understand. Dont lose hope. U can overcome it if u put ur heart n soul in it. Its achievable. can u please share ur diet?
    And how many minutes per day do u workout? if yes what kind of workout do u do? intense or light?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. SunNaa

SunNaa Platinum IL'ite

how can u give up on life so easily? I fail to understand that...

everyone has problem...no one's life is perfect...so what should we all do? Kill ourself? or should we stop living?

when the going gets tough, the tough gets going! Please buck up...u cannot give up...life is much more than this...

u are taking way too much stress and that's why u aren't losing weight..I know for sure that one can lose weight with PCOs..I did and I'm sure others did too...stop thinking about the weight...and I bet it will come down...

a healthy body comes from a healthy mind...always remember that...stay positive..

staying unhappy is the worst kind of addiction one can have..and I know people get addicted to it without realizing...overcome this addiction..

try to look at the positive side...I'm sure they are various things which u can be grateful about....please focus on those...

once u are happy from with in the weight will come down...regarding infertility...in the world of IVFs n frozen embryos you shouldn't even bother about that!

11 people like this.
  4. hmishra

hmishra Platinum IL'ite

Few things i learnt while learning about pcos is - diet is really really important for u girls to lose weight.

U need to keep ur carb intake low.

Foods that u must avoid at all costs - RICE, POTATO, ROTI(no more than 2 per day), any foods that have carbs

Foods that u must stick to are - protein rich foods (non veg), paneer, chana, eggs, fish, chicken etc..

Change ur breakfast to Oats everyday - i know its bland n not good, but how badly do u want to lose weight?

Make 2 days in a week ur dinner as soup. Any soup. drink two cups of soup if u want. Have ur dinner at 7 o clock. Dont have anything after that. Go to bed by 10 to avoid hunger pangs.

Ur ideal daily food should b :

breakfast : eggs/oats with fruits in it/fruit smoothie (any fruit + half cup curd + 2 tsp honey pureed)
    (dont have poha, sabudana, upma and all those usual indian breakfasts)

Mid day if hungry : almonds

Lunch : fish, chicken, salads, eggplant roasted, cauliflower roasted, etc
    (try to avoid roti & rice)

eve snack: curd/nuts

dinner: same as lunch / soup

Say goodbye to sugar if u really want to lose weight. Ppl with pcos cant really take chances with sugar. Slight sugar intake can spoil ur whole week worth of workout and weight loss.

Sit n think about the seriousness of ur weight problem. and ask urself how badly do u want it? If u really want to lose weight, u will follow whatevr i have mentioned.

If u r vegetarian, stick to vegetarian based protein foods like paneer, chana etc.

Also workout is really imp, and not light ones. U need to do vigorous workouts and for atleast an hour a day.

Good luck. If u need any more help, feel free to ask.

14 people like this.
  5. SGA

SGA IL Hall of Fame

I HAVE PCOS , My weight is 51 kg , Now after reading this you will Say i am so lucky

Let me compare my life with yours
    1) After reducing 20kg , your periods are normal ...... I am Normal BMI still struglling to get my periods Normal

2) You say u are single, infertility etc etc ........ I am single at the age of 32yrs but i believe that only one person is made for us and we cant change our destiny.... Regarding infertility , Doctor had told me one thing , with pcos just concentrate on getting your periods normal and you wont have any problem .....

3) high testosterone which causes facial hair ------i found out that root cause for it is stress .... work on your stress and your reports will be normal without doing anything

4) YOur cryst reduced with PCOS but for me even after getting my weight to normal BMI , Doctor told me that i have to live with PCOS forever .... AT least u have positive hopes that if u reduce weight , u can be problem free

List could go wrong why i feel u are more lucky then me ...... BUT I DONT compare my LIFE with others ...... THIS IS MY weight JOURNEY and i have to walk it alone , I cant cry when other loss weight weekly but it takes me month or year ..... WHAT i know is I need to take care of myself .......when i am stress , I chant gayatri mantra or positive words

YOU HAVE two option GIVE UP , .cry and make your health and future worst

OR Get up and work for changing yourself , Convert your negative thought to positive , you can reduce more ....Eat healthy , do workout regularly ....

TAKE MY WORD , LIFE WILL BE EASY IF YOU DETERMINE TO CHANGE YOURSELF FOR BETTER

AND WORST, IF YOU DONT CHANGE YOUR THINKING
    ( my Personal experience )

22 people like this.
  6. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

Really inspiring SGA, i would say yes, instead of living in the past, try changing the thinking and live in the present, each day, one day at a time :) Thanks!!

2 people like this.
  7. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

And yes, you(thegirlygirl) should post again, "PCOS defeated by me" that should be the spirit, NEVER GIVE UP.

Think, its better to die trying than to die giving up :)

1 person likes this.
  8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Girlygirl,
    Please donot be so negative, there is always a silver lining in the cloud. Write down what all you were doing to reduce your weight and you will be amazed to see there will be a lot of improvements to be done. Keep a food journal if you dont keep one already. See what kind of food you are eating and reduce and slowly discard all processed food and sugar. Increase the intensity of your workouts if not the time. We always have an option either to whine or to take charge and make positive changes. but yes we do get depressed and let down at times when we feel all our efforts are going waste. What will help at this point of time is to write down your day as a journal and then you will know were you are faltering. In our head we wont get that only when we see the facts in pen and paper does our mind register it.

I read SGA's reply to your posts in which she mentioned you were not eating so healthy recently.That will ofcourse bring back the lost weight. We shant be dependent on food to reduce our stress and relieve tension.Thats emotional eating.I used to binge before whenever I felt sad or happy.But now if I feel sad I take it out by an intense workout and if am happy I reward myself with a healthy home made treat-which is only form whole foods. Since this takes time and effort I automatically reduce rewarding me with treats. I overcame the binge eating by reading lots and lots of fitness quotes and the two of my favorites are in my signature.Whenever am tempted to eat/binge I remember these and they do keep me in check.After that I never feel the same to that food.
    And we have such a strong support system here in KF&MS forum to workout and eat healthy. Join various threads and post your workouts diets daily which will help you to achieve your dream.

Apart from fitness and health talk - Marriage is not the last thing.You will get n number of proposals.Please dont get married for the sake of it.Dont feel the urge to get married.I know sometimes parents get a little pushy with daughters(since i have no brothers i dont know that how its with sons) when they approach marriageable age.But dont be ina hurry to marry the guy in first or 10th or 50th proposal.Marry a guy only if you think he and you is of same wavelength.What I tell my mom always is Marriage is not important ,peace of mind is more important.

1 person likes this.
  9. thegirlygirl

Dear SunNaa,

Thank you so much for your reply. You were always a motivation for all, especially on the '15 days no junk challenge.':)

You're right, but the problem is my weight is not going down since almost 1 year now.
    This is the reason I am feeling so hopeless.

Yes, I think I am taking too much stress for it, but that is because weight loss is the motto of my life right now, I have given up on other things right now just for that, and I am not able to do even that.
    I guess for some days I will stop weighing myself everyday, because that is the cause of all problems, my mood for the rest of the day is decided by the number I see on the scale every morning.
    I will continue with my diet and exercise and keep telling myself I am losing weight, without stepping on the scale.

You're right again, I think I have developed an addiction of staying unhappy unknowingly because of my past..........time I snap out of it!
    I will maintain a vision diary like the one in 'The Secret' and right down all the good things I have and all the good things I want in future

Yes, but I am just hoping that I can conceive naturally and with ease.

I am really glad to get a reply from you, thank you dear:)

1 person likes this.
  10. thegirlygirl

Dear SGA,

Thank you soooooooo much for your very wise, detailed advice and kind words.
    When I wrote this thread I had you in mind, and I was really hoping you come and help me see some light, and here you are!! :)

1) Yes, I am tensed with exam, and hence have derailed from my diet, but what is happening is that, when I do anything wrong, my weight starts coming back immediately, but when I follow everything even continuosly for more than a month, the weight sticks, it doesn't go down, that is what is disheartening!

2) I didn't like this guy, but getting rejected by so many guys, that too on horoscope basis( don't know how far it is true) is really frustrating............. I haven't progressed to meeting even one guy in person since the last one year, also because I am not in India, but things don't seem to move ahead, and I feel really bad about that.

I have decided not to log onto these silly matrimonial sites until I am done with my exams, because it really disturbs my peace of mind.

3) I turned 27 this month, I had managed to bring down my weight to 82kgs, but it didn't go down any further, and then it started increasing, now it is 85 kgs. Last year March my weight was 85kgs, now by March this year, again I will be the same weight, that ia what I a feeling bad about.

One year to break a plateau is way too much time.

That is why I feel I need professional help, because all the other things here like calorie cycling etc don't seem to be working, and I don't have any means of getting any kind of professional help.

4) When I went to my gyneac, she told me the cysts have reduced, but when I asked her if it will clear completely she said no! And even regarding hirsutism she said it will never go completely. My testosterone was normal, even then I have hirsutism, I fail to understand that.

5) Actually my fear with infertility was there even during school and college days, but just somewhere in the background, but since the last one month, it is all I seem to be thinking about. I checked some forums on PCOS including ours, because I wanted to break the plateau.........and to my dismay I discoverd women ranting non stop about their infertility issues! And since that day, I seem to unknowingly come across all infertillity realted queries here. I was so shocked, I didn't know PCOS causes that much of an issue with conceiving.............Reading those posts made me feel like getting up and start helping myself with it before it gets too late, but ofcourse that is not possible for me right now.

You are so positive, I really like that about you, you the most positive and motivating person here on the PCOS forums.
    But 51 kgs is very good weight, even for a normal person!
    I think metformin will help to regularise your periods and help to reduce your cysts.

I will try to be positive henceforth, and as I wrote earlier will stay away from the scale for a while.

With your kind of attitude,one day you will definately reach your goal! And also find the man of your dreams:)

Thank you once again, couldn't have done without you!