1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

" Deepavali " - Looney tunes .

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Manjureddy, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

You know, there are some journals with names like " Neurotransmitter Newsweekly" and "Quadrant Journal of Analytical Psychology", that keep coming out of esoteric presses regularly. You and I will not flip through them even if paid to do so ; but there is one dedicated tribe of studious people in South India who are always busy poring through these strange magazines. They are called Script Writers. And they keep excavating data about new and newer mental illnesses to spice up their wonderous celluloid tales. They have fleeced "Amnesia" to coma . Moondram Pirai was cloned mercilessly.There was that riotous reign of schizophreniacs like Anniyan and Chandramukhi, with a snazzily tattooed Sanjay Ramaswami thrown in for good measure.
    And now comes Deepavali. But nothing festive about it,alas !

Our heroines are not generally known for commonsense. They keep swinging between "I-Love-You" and "I-Hate-You" for as long as the producer's stock of songs last and we never begged directors for explanations. But some directors volunteer to clarify and this worthy under scan here tells us that this swinging-as-above lady has a disease called "Post Trauma Short Duration Partial Amnesia " or some such . The girl is like a light bulb. An on/off case. She keeps getting traumatised and with each trauma, keeps losing her memory in 6-month blocks . Nice. Six months are enough for her to move to a new town, pick up a fight with a boy, fall in love with him and just in time for the mid-movie "knot in the story", get traumatised again. This same boy had been snubbed and shunted out by the same girl once before her trauma, but she had forgotten about that, post-trauma. Now after trauma No.2, she forgets her grand romance and glares at the boy thinking he is the riff raff she had shunted out pre-trauma no.1. By this time, not only the boy but all of us are getting pretty traumatised and the appearance of the mandatory growling daddy does not help at all. Suddenly, there are goons all over the place, some bashing, some yelling, lots of traumatising all round and we start praying that one of those menacing meanies would clomp his teak log or lead pipe on everybody's heads so that everyone forgets everything and all go home in peace.

I should have watched Tom and Jerry instead.

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

True Manju.....i guess that would have been better, and we could have forgotten everything...anyway ippa enna vazharathu, i forgot the movie the next instant i guess.....but i do keep at it till the end , it is one kind of payithiyam, hoping that there will something good finally.....
    And not to miss on the madras bashai....SUSI SUSI.....goes on Billu....kind of irritating, na.....
    Anyway did u see Pori.....another one of that kind,, except liked potrayal of Nagesh....at last father, son relationship was respectable to acertain extent...what do u say!
    I have so much time hear and i am kind of homesick for tamil speaking people, atmospheres that i end up watching all crap , not to mention all the highjly idiotic serials on sun tv too.....you can pull out one of your highly technical jargons to name me and mania in a very authentic manner , then i will at least be happy, that it is a disease , and start looking for a cure maybe...ha ha....my my , am i trying to sound like u ?
    Of course nowhere near the MISTRESS of .......:confused2: i dont know the right term, maybe u can help.....he he....:wink:

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Sudha,
    Welcome to the club . Same here. Incurable optimist with hope springing eternal that some day, some flick may turn out enjoyable ; so keep watching anything and everything. Plus, hubby is a non-reader, hasn't read a book in his life ( like Rekha said to Simi Grewal ), the only way he knows to loosen up and relax is to watch movies. Even then, half the time his mind is somewhere else and I am expected to watch everything closely and answer his post-movie questionnaire on who said what, who is related to whom and how, where the third song was spicturised , is the heroine from kerala or andhra :roll:

Oh yes. saw Pori too. Not worth the corn-pori, what say?

Am I glad you mention that Suisi Susi ! Hubby thought I was hearing things when I told him even an astronomer cannot keep count of the number of times the hero utters the name ! And I was begining to doubt my sanity. Thanks for reassuring me, friend ! ( and that boy Ravi better take a voice culture class, his voice is sooooo :cry: )

Dont lose heart Sudha ! we will keep the reliable Swami Vivekananda in mind and keep watching movies without giving up . perhaps we will stumble upon a gem someday, who knows. (BTW, Veyyil was watchable ; Sivappadhikaram had a strong central idea, but very jerkily made with lots of unnecessary scenes and unbelievable murders.)

Manjula

P.S : if u are seeing so many movies, why dont you share your thoughts about them Sudha ? Dying to hear you analyse Pori, for example.:-D

4. sudhavnarasimhan

No way Manju, i cannot write like u do and this is always so hilarious.....and anyway i think i can describe a pop corn Pori more effectively than this Pori...he he....sorry! But listen u keep at it and i will respond...since i have nothing better to do....( i watch all the hindi crap too...) But Dor , hindi movie was best to date and liked Water too to a certain extent! Do u watch these too?

Ya , i felt bad for pasupathy in Veyyil, some very good acting from all of them....Looks like we have the same wave length as far as films go....so lets keep at it!

5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Come-on Yaar ! Dont be so diffident ! If you can talk about it, you can write about it too ! As though I was born writing reviews ! Why not try, na ? Even if it is corn pori description, fine ! Some "aval" to "mella"fy ! Besides, this is not a literary journal, so who cares !

Ya, we watch Hindi and English too. My hindi is less than poor ! Hubby can velutthu vaangafy, but one irritating thing is, he will laugh his head off at some Johny Lever joke, but wont explain to me properly :evil: His defense:"unless you have a feel for the language, you cant enjoy".
    Missed Dor, sadly. I read the review in this forum. Will try to get the DVD.
    Saw Guru . And the one with 6 pairs of stars . forgetting name.:confused2:
    I dont think Water will be screened in India. Have to find a Thiruttu VCD !

Manjula

6. sudhavnarasimhan

Manju, that was SAlAAM E ISHQ....and u know what it was screened in the german theatre for a week and we ladies decided to go , show was at 4 and it ended at 8.30....was tooooo lengthy and on top of it, so many little ones were there( dont know how they were let in) and they were running all overthe theatre and having fun and shouting....which anyway gave us all a headache ,.....i also ended up watching the eng version Love ctually, with Hugh Grant...it was also so so only....
    I have got ekalavya...lets see how it is with such a star cast. Guru was good i thought....serious but abhshek had done an impressive job...and Ash was completely sidetracked!

7. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Ya, me too waiting to see Ekalavya. The settings look grand and the trailers are magnificent ! Waiting for your review here !

Ha-Ha, good experience with Salame Ishq . The screen overflowing with stars and the hall overflowing with children ! :-D

In English we saw " Music and Lyrics". Just Ok, for all the pre-release noise they kept making in the papers. But I like Drew Barrymore, shes so cute and bubbly !

Manjula

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hey girls,

This thread is more interesting and entertaining than all those movies you have talked about, put together! Hello hello, here is another movie buff wanting to join this clan:) Although I have not been seeing all that many movies lately and haven't seen Tamil flicks for quite a while. I keep flipping, or clicking, through the various Tamil movie sites just to keep informed. The photographed faces does not arouse any curiosity in me to watch any though?! Did think Veyyil looked interesting.
    Sudha, you sure seem to be at the right place at the right time, that too in Germany. I cannot believe that you have access to so many recent and new Tamil movies over there. I must say things have surely changed drastically in Germany now, I am envious:icon_frown:
    Okay, now to the movies.
    The last movie I watched was on Sunday night...Vivah. I was totally drained and was good for nothing and decided to unwind on the sofa and watch a movie. This dvd was with me for ages now and didn't expect too much out of it, knowing that it was real time pass on the lines of Hum Aapke Hain Kaun. It surely was, but must say, it got to me. The film is all about a love story that was sweeter than candy and flossier the floss! The various characters also are dreamlike and have a glossy and pretty greeting card appearance! All the same, it was so very charming and the characters grow on you and the last bit of the film has some drama thrown in and even the cynical me shed copious tears and used up a whole box of Tempo.
    Hmm...when I read my above lines, the film does sound like the much churned out common fare of Indian movies. But this movie is highly charming and sweet. A film that I want my daughters to watch. Rosh must watch, in case she already hasn't(!) and Manju, you too. Have you seen it? If you already have, what did you think of it?

From one movie buff to another...Kamla

9. sudhavnarasimhan

Dear Kamala,
    Join in ma'am.....will let u into a secret, i have been downloading the tamil movies....Vijay has been saying that it is illegal and i am going to jail soon, so maybe u will find me missing from IL family soon!:cry:

But right now iam enjoying and Manju ma'am has been sportively doling out her reviews so , we are having fun.
    Vivah is a ooollllddddd movie by our stds, of course Rosh the die hard romantic watched it and is dreaming of her future Man in her life......she was all tears, but i watched later by myself and i guess i have finally grown up or had become cynical on that day.....Shahid looked cute , so was the new heroine....so cute and goody goody....but yeah a real time pass.8 we do get all the dvds now for 2 euros, Kamala!)
    What else to do in this country, tell me.....i am trying now to learn more german to enjoy the tv progs at least.....:wink:

10. sudhavnarasimhan

Dear Manju,
    Lucky u got to see the Music and Lyrics.....here the german version comes first and then the english one after 2 weeks, so waiting to see....
    I got to see Holiday also....i liked the acting of both the women...very cute and apt.....
    I guess i will see Ekalavya only next week, my friend borrowed it first.....i have not seen promos also......lets hope it is good!
    if u see it before do post the review.....