1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Deepavali - and a day well spent .

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Bhooma, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

I had been wanting to do it since ages but kept procrastinating . So finally on Deepavali day, I decided that I would visit the Good Life Orphanage at Tambaram.
    After our last Anniversary visit to the orphanage, I never made it.. though I had resolved that I would make a visit atleast once a month.
    This year I decided I would try and spend sometime with the children at the orphanage.
    The orphanage has now moved to new premises , a very airy clean building and the number of inmates has risen to 130.
    They are looking for funds to help them run it better. It does appear that they do get funds , but it may not suffice .
    But more than the monetary part, what tugged at my heart was how lonely the children looked and how much they look forward to someone visit them .
    When I asked Mr Bhaskar what the children did for entertainment, he said , they watch TV sometimes . The girls who are employed there may not be necessarily inclined to play with the children or spend quality time with them.
    When I asked him if I could get some games for them to play, he gave a sad smile and responded back – “provided you are willing to come and play with them.”
    I have made up my mind that I would visit the orphanage and spend time with the children. But from this large IL group, I also need like minded volunteers who will come with me .
    I know everybody is busy, all of us have our busy lives, but would there be atleast a couple of them who would be willing t make some sacrifice and accompany me ? atleast twice a month ?
    When I go with requests for donations to many people, I hear them say .. “thanakku minjithaan dharmam”… Pray tell me – what is enough ? if you wait for the day when you will give away only what is surplus (in your opinion) that may never come. Instead , why don’t you just give up something now and see how much pleasure it gives you ?
    Anybody out there who is willing to walk that mile with me on this ?
    Cheers
    bhooma

2. manchitra

manchitra Senior IL'ite

I loved reading your Tirupathi trip, and strange are the ways are God. He just makes anything possible. I am happy for you that you could complete your mannath.

Regarding the second post. I would have loved to be with you and I too spent some time with children of an orphanage on that day. shall be writing about that soon. Only thing is I happen to be far away so when I was in Chennai I visited the the orphanage on Diwali day.
    May god help you to carry with the good work. All the best.

3. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Dear Bhooma
    That is a very special and sweet thought. My best wishes with the work.

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Bhooma,
    Your noble thought is very much appreciated....I am feeling now...why I am not in Chennai..
    Sure you will find ilites..who would like to share and make it come true...
    Best wishes pa..

sriniketan

5. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Bhooma, first of all congrats for having that sportsman spirit and climbing those many steps despite of acute arthritis. This is why it is said “If you say you can, you can.” Hope you will find many likeminded ILs for volunteering services to the orphanage.All the best dear.

6. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words and wishes . I already have received one volunteer- nay three - Kaluputti (Gowri) has promised to come along with her daughter and grandson.

will keep everybody posted

many thanks again

Bhooma

7. ayyan

ayyan New IL'ite

Dear Bhooma,
    Kids are gods, may be a majority of people can’t find enough time to come with you but they might have enough time to go and pray in temples and churches.
    I have seen many people throwing hundred and thousand rupees in temple (god is already rich ,you don’t have to make him rich again) but not caring the poor people everywhere outside. And they feel ten rupees is a big amount for giving them ( but it is very small amount while shopping in a mall)
    I believe that majority of Ilites are rich people, please be rich again by helping the poor. So many poor children are there waiting in the world out you, you will be goddesses in there eyes. At least a smile, a kiss or a shake hand can worth more than a million dollars for them. Giving will not make any deficiency to you, instead it will make you gain some thing. In Quran , the number of times mentioned “zakat” or giving is exactly the same number of times mentioned the term gaining wealth.
    So don’t worry about that.
    I know I am going to use a ten percentage of the money I am making, and there will be needed out there for the rest of the money. And what I am gaining is more than enough for me, but not enough for them.
    I have much more better plans.
    Sorry, your place and distance between us don’t allow me to accompany with you.
    But if anybody in north kerala wants to do like Bhooma, I will be there with you in all my vacations and always after my settle down over there.

Ayyan

8. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Ayyan

Thank you . I shall let you know details on how you can help out monetarily. That would be a fantastic gesture from you

thanks

Bhooma

9. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Really good one,Bhooma. I have read all you write, all about your meets etc and have always admired your attitude. And what you write here about the Good Life Orphangae is indeed worth sharing. We all find it so easy to sponsor a meal or clothes in a place like this. Very few will wilingly spend their time and hearts with the children.

Just wondering- are the children interested in games like carrom, scrabble, pictionary etc? or are they more into Sun TV?

And wondering again- would you have any info on Annai Illam in Mylapore? I remember an ILIte writing about the pathetic condition of the ladies there. HAve you been there?

10. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Yes Vidya I do visit the Annai Illam . The women there are all well fed and they keep watching TV all the time . I really dont know if they would be interested in anybody visiting them or otherwise . I dont mean to sound rude, but they bicker so much amongst themselves ... my visits to Annai Illam are restricted to just giving them money on any "occasion'... its mostly on my husbands' death anniversary that I make a donation for their lunch for that particular day. During my last visit , since they expressed a desire to have individual soaps, vicks vaporub, and such stuff, I was asked to get thirty sets which I did. Havent been there in the last six months . and yes .. the children would be interested in playing games, painting et al.. But like I said , we need to be there .. Please let me know of your interest and we shall decide . God Bless

Bhooma