1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Deepasthambam Mahaachryam

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,

Thanks for the appreciation,

Regards,

TDU

2. Tamildownunder

Dear Veda,

Thanks for your appreciations. Yes, I know it has been happening in every sphere of life.

Regards,

TDU

3. Tamildownunder

Dear malspie,

I am glad that you do not agree. Now I can say to you 'Deepasthambam mahaacharyam' since I also need to survive in IL. :-D

Regards,

TDU

4. mythili

mythili Senior IL'ite

Hi TDU,
    Yes I have had to face the situation in the past. Growing up, I have heard this story from my father as well.
    I have been with bosses who are not open to independent thinking and encouraged only those who promoted their view (whether right or wrong)

Many folks do this esp. here in the US because of their situation (whether it is to keep their visa or because they are in the wait for what they think is the ultimate green card - which btw is supposed to bring ever lasting happiness! :) )

But don't you agree it is part of our culture? Whether it is in relationships(take MIL case) or politics or wherever there is a hierarchy, traditionally, subordinates are to 'respect' the higher ups.

One small example - I did schooling in India. We were always taught to be 'obedient' and respect the teachers .. even if she is a terrible witch :) Teacher was always right, always did the right things and never made a mistake.
    The teachers expected the students to follow what they teach, and there was no question of 'questioning' the teacher. (in most cases)
    I am not saying I had very negative experiences in school growing up. I had some wonderful teachers, and I am indebted to them for who I am today.

But the jist is - There is no place for independent thining in our culture. We are supposed to go by the flow and not be against it. There is even one saying 'ezhhuthappuram vayikkaruthu' meaning 'do not read what is not taught'.

Where as my preschooler here in the US is taught very differently. He is encouraged to be creative and think differently. Children are expected to question what they don't feel right and to stand up for one's beliefs. (there is no such thing as a stupid question)

Mr. TDU I would like to hear your comments on this.
    Regards,
    Mythili

5. Tamildownunder

You are right about bosses encouraging those who promote their view. As far giving respect to teachers is concerned I never felt anything wrong. But, with incompetent bosses though I was prepared to respect the chairs they were occupying, I couldn't respect them as individuals.

You are right about people from India agreeing with bosses in U.S for their survival. It is difficult to find people like your pre-schooler.

Regards,

TDU